Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The original was not so much grey zone, since it was written in the 1970s for teenagers.

The crew wasn't perfect though. Kodai and Shima get in a fist fight over the collection of fustrations over the course of a month being stuck in one location in space. It would take three months to fly around it, but they were not sure if there was a safe route though it. But the storms prevented them from advancing (some sort of nebula)

Aihara jumped ship in one episode because of the depair and longing for home. (I mean he got in a spacesuit and jumped out the airlock to drift home...which was maybe 70,000 light years away).

Kodia questioned the nature of war after they reached the end. No longer sure if they should have fought the Gamilas.

Plus there was the day they captured a Gamilas pilot. Kodai wanted to murder him, but stopped himself, and then prevented the pilot from committing suicide in his Emperor's name.

There was still a mutiny in the original version, but it happened on Iscandar. Those that didn't think they would make it back in time wished to stay. I'm nit sure if that wasn't allowed, but they wanted to be able to reproduce the human species on Iscandar...and there was only one woman on Yamato....and Yuki didn't want to stay.

The crew wasn't perfect, but the new version has more grey areas, especially when the politics of Earth get involved.

Also the mecha page updated with the remainder of the Gamilas carrier fleet and fighters.

http://yamato2199.net/mecha/index.html

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That last bit about staying on Iscandar is kind of hilariously creepy. :lol:

3. Ithekro

The thing is that the Iscandarian Mutiny technically was successful. It was about a dozen guys from Engineering. Lead by Yabu (the Chief Engineer's chubby assistant) They kidnapped Yuki and stole a boat to get to a little island. They had basically won.

There were two things. One: Starsha said they couldn't stay there as the island was about to explode and sink into the sea. And Two: They had Yuki.

Before Kodai could even really do more than start to negotiae with then, the island blows and most of them die. Yuki manages to survive, but she's injured.

Mutiny solved by natural causes, and a rescue operation that manages to only save the hostage because everyone else is dead before they arrive.

The new version is more interesting even if it does also get solved quickly. But is it completely solved? Will the mutineers cause problems later on? I have some faith in Niimi (her heart seems to be in the right place even if her mission wasn't the same as everyone else), but none in Ito (he's a snake in the grass), and Yabu is afraid and a pessimist about the mission as it is.

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It almost sounds like the new series has a sort of nuBSG edge to it. I can't wait to see it.

-Chris

5. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

That's normal pricing for the Japanese video market. It's always been that way it's not unusual to have a DVD/BD cost anywhere between $50-$80, have no subtitles , let a alone a dub, and feature only 1 or 2 episodes at most per disc. Media in the Japanese market is way different than the US one, they are considered to be more of a high priced collectors item than something you'd pick up casually at a local Wal-Mart for $5.

I highly doubt a complete series series release would be any cheaper. For example season Blu-Ray sets for the Legend of the Galactic Heroes series go for around $500 and this is not unusual at all.

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I understand, the Japanese are very into renting physical media of shows, which is part of why the prices are so high for DVDs/BDs (because these are the wholesale prices to rental outlets, not a marked down retail price).

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:( :sigh: Unfortunately, it's short-sighted business practices like this that encourage video piracy to thrive. Bootlegs are inevitable.

8. Ithekro

9. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You beat me to the punch with the BD/DVD rankings. ANN only listed the top DVD rankings list.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-04/japan-animation-dvd-ranking-may-27-june-2

In only seeing the short preview for chapter 6, it seems that there is something afoot aboard the Yamato with a crew member? It seems there will be more intrigue. Also a kidnapping too.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep - just picked my Blu-Ray up from the Post Office this afternoon - will watch Disc 5 tonight. (Ordered Disc 6 after I got back from the Post Office too. :techman:)

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

12. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Ithekro

In a country were 30,000 plus sales are extremely good for an anime. Discs that cost 7,800 yen retail. It isn't like buying a $20 or 30 dollar film at Target. These things are expensive, and they have always been expensive in Japan. It is a specific market of people that buy discs over there when renting is popular and there are legal streaming sites.

And yet Yamato still sells very well compared to other anime even when it has less extras than some of the others. Because it is Yamato.

14. Ithekro

Okay now I am beyond lost. I am at the point of dumbfounded now.
    The Long Trailer for Chapter 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YZwgo5WQVs

I am not certain what is going on anymore, but the character interactions are all over the place now.

But it is exciting.

15. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You beat me again!!!! :devil: LOL...

Well, anyways. I agree with you on being lost and confused. I think I am in sensory overload here....

16. Ithekro

I do that sometimes.

Still trying to process all that is going on.

It doesn't help that I'm not sure what the general plot for episoide 22 is. I know more or less the first three episodes of Chapter 6, but the last episode I don't know.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is Dietz still in prison?

18. Ithekro

Unknown. Best guess is Dessler hasn't gotten to him yet.

But someone was kind enough to fansub this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv4VAJ3LADk

So what will they do? Wave Motion Energy is not suppose to be used as a weapon...but the wave motion gun's trigger will have to be pulled at least one more time.

And.....and

If that wasn't enough for you, they released the 8 minute preview of Episode 19 today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP4ExOJzyNE

19. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, these trailers. Every arc seems to up the ante in some way... although it's kind of hilarious how the scale of the battles seems to have changed.

Yet another trudge until July. :(

20. Ithekro