ENT Forum Get To Know You Thread Pt 2

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Kalen Archer, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Commander Red Shirt

I'm a new member of the TrekBBS community and I've already introduced myself on the general get-to-know-you thread. But since I've started my very first watch-through of ENT (the Trek I know the least about), I thought I'd post here. I've watched the first half-dozen episodes and so far I'm finding it interesting. The first episode is clearly setting up a story arc for later but I was happy to see that the following episodes were smaller, self-contained adventures that allowed us to get to know the characters better. Then came the surprise ending of The Andorian Incident, which I did not see coming (apparently T'Pol didn't either - I don't think I've ever seen a Vulcan look so sick to their stomach). What will happen next ( no, don't tell me!)?

2. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Welcome, Tango, to the Enterprise forum! It's always great to see someone else checking out the show. Keep us posted on your thoughts as you watch, and enjoy the forum. :)

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. HopefulRomantic

@Richard S. Ta: Done. :)

4. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Many thanks and sorry to be a pain in the ass!

5. HopefulRomantic

^^ You're quite welcome! I live to serve.

6. Richard S. Ta

Finally I got a first draft together for Desert Crossing. Hopefully my thread should be updated later today. I really, really like it.

HopefulRomantic likes this.
  7. Richard S. Ta

Shockwave is very good i think. Is it well thought of?

8. MarkusTay

MarkusTay Commander Red Shirt

I've already done this in the main (general) forum, but here goes...

I go by MarkusTay EVERYWHERE, and I enjoy making maps. Sometimes I get paid for it. I've been a fan of trek since forever (watched TOS when it aired live), along with many other series and movies. I'm also a fantasy fan, but with that genre I prefer reading, whereas I prefer visuals with my Scify (probably because once-upon-a-time special effects monsters looked like butt). At least with 'tech', you can try and fake it ("More n blinking lights! And add a plunger!").

Enterprise is actually one of my favorites in the franchise, and I really wish it had gotten more time. The first season was kind of 'iffy', but which show wasn't? I loved the retro look of the first Enterprise, the lower tech, the uniforms... everything. It really felt like 'Trek' to me. Ya know... they weren't just hanging out on a space station most of the time. They were really starting to get their groove on at the end there, and if Bakula and crew had gotten a couple of more seasons I think it could have been amazing. The only thing I didn't like was them trying to turn Tucker into the new Kirk, bringing a whole new meaning to 'Panspermia'.

Timofnine and Richard S. Ta like this.
  9. HopefulRomantic

Welcome to the Enterprise forum, @MarkusTay! We love having another ENT fan joining us. :)

10. Sumire

Sumire Commander Red Shirt

I introduced myself on the general boards but I thought I’d say a bit more here. I think I found this board trying to track down Trip x T’Pol fanfic in particular. Either that or I was trying to find if Hopeful Romantic had posted fic anywhere besides House of Tucker because long-dead sites make me worried they’ll just cease to be.

Like I alluded to in my general intro, I’m a shipper (old school, Mulder x Scully). I was living in Japan when Enterprise originally aired. My sister sent me the theme song on a mix CD. I actually liked it. Somehow I got into Trip x T’Pol shipping without ever watching the show. That’s not that unusual for me. I eventually watched some episodes, like within the last month. I actually liked the episodes I watched from Season 1. There is a real appeal in watching a ship of golden retrievers galumphing through the stars and their Vulcan kitty companion trying her very, very best to keep them from offing themselves (and others?) while entirely grossed out by their doggy “charms.”

I was saddened to see that unlike other Star Trek ships I am all in on, Trip x T’Pol (maybe Enterprise in general?) fanfic is not abundant on AO3. I found relatively little fan content on Tumblr too and most things on YouTube were not showing to their advantage on current technology. I even tried Instagram and Discord. I really looked everywhere. I used x and I used / and I tried to ferret out what amalgamation of names the youth might be using but it’s like, sorry, you weren’t looking back in 2006, it’s all gone. I finally did find several no longer in use websites and even livejournal communities but I am hoping to find real, living, maybe even creating fans here. It’s very nice to meet you all.

11. Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice Captain Captain

Nice to meet you! Have you tried fanfiction.net? The Enterprise characters are interesting people that I would happily spend time with. I love your cat and dogs metaphor.

12. Sumire

Thank you @Summer Solstice! I may indeed have to brave FFN. I swear every time I venture back it looks more rundown and buggy but it’s still the place to go for “older” shows so I will probably just have to take a deep breath and dive in.

Lord Hierarch likes this.
  13. HopefulRomantic

Welcome to the Enterprise forum, @Sumire! Great to have an X-Files reader (X-Files fanfic, mm mm good) and a Trip/T'Pol shipper to join in the fun.
    Thanks for your interest in my ENT stories! The House of Tucker's Trip/T'Pol fanfiction site has the definitive versions of all my ENT fanfiction, because that was my online home when the show was still airing. Fanfiction.net has my ENT work too, with a toned-down version of the, erhm, spicier passages. My monicker at ff.net is "HopefulR." I have a Star Wars story over there too. I never got as far as uploading my work onto AO3, since its star rose after I had segued from fanfiction to pro writing, but I do like the way it's set up.

Take a look around and enjoy yourself! :)

Lord Hierarch likes this.
  14. Sumire

I greatly appreciate your providing me the full overview of your fanfic output @HopefulRomantic! Thank you! It’s been a crazy month or so. I feel like I’m excavating an archeological dig and let me tell you, since I was well into my twenties when all this stuff was being created and posted, I am not completely comfortable with that analogy. Accessing things from 2007 should not feel like venturing into a library’s sub basement, cranking open the stacks, hauling out some yellowed tome and blowing the dust off it. And yet, here we are.

I also really want to tell these authors how much I love and appreciate their stories only to find there is often no way to do so. The bbs is gone or abandoned, the last update on FFN was over a decade ago… It’s surreal that people that were active and creating 12 years ago could be as inaccessible as wanting to tell Jane Austen you think the letter from Persuasion is the best love letter ever written.

pookha likes this.
  15. HopefulRomantic

@Sumire, wherever you find a story you enjoy, no matter how long since it was posted, if there is a way to leave a comment or a message, I encourage you to do it. Writers may still get notifications of comments, even if they don't post currently. And comments are a priceless gift - and the only "payment" - for any fanfic writer. :)

Sumire likes this.
  16. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

17. Sumire

18. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm currently watching Enterprise for the first time, now that it is finally online - Free TV.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

Hello everyone. I used to haunt this place . More recently i have been on twitter and you tube but an ancient song has been pulling me back.

KennyB likes this.