Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like they're finally getting around to merging SMP and SSP, which is something I've been waiting for for a long time. It means I can finally invite people over to see my SSP world, and it means that the SMP code will be the basis for the entire game, potentially making it less buggy in the future.

3. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Updated home photos

Added a greenhouse on the side.
    [​IMG]

From the inside.
    [​IMG]

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I think those tree-sized sugarcanes might be a bug.

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

No, Xan came over and "griefed" my candyland. :lol:

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard about the SMP and SSP merger. Quite looking forward to that.

Yep. Cane pieces are like cactus. You can stack them as high as you like.

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

We miss you!!

8. TheGodBen

So I've been playing Minecraft for the first time in a while, and I want an XP farm in my SP world but I need slime balls to build it. So I head down into some caves I explored back in my first week with the game thinking that slimes will spawn in the lit up areas, and that's when I came upon a creature I had never seen in Minecraft before...

[​IMG]

The elusive cave cow. I'm down near diamond level, there's only stone and dirt around, there's no grass anywhere down there, but somehow a cow spawned.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Or did that cow navigate his way down there through the labyrinthine caves the same way I did way back when.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  9. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I've seen it happen with different animals, though not down to diamond level before.

10. Cutter John

Ah, the legendary cave cow.

Just like cave bears. Only they're cows.

11. TheGodBen

On my search for slimes I found a zombie spawner in a previously unexplored section of the caves, I threw together a quick and dirty drop trap with a mob elevator, I spent about 90 minutes there getting up to level 50, I threw some additional bookshelves around my enchantment table, I made a new diamond pickaxe, I spent what seemed like 10 minutes clicking on the damn thing to find a level 50 enchant... and I got Efficiency III. :censored:

Add me to the list of people that hates the randomness of the enchantment system. :lol: I at least deserved some Unbreaking on the damn thing, all it is now is a glorified obsidian miner.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, I pretty much only enchant swords, because at least that's only good for killing monsters, and whatever I get will make it either last longer or make it more powerful against certain kinds of monsters. Guess enchanting bows would work, too. But enchanting tools is such a crapshoot.

I wonder if there's a mod that lets you choose enchantments...

13. Cutter John

That would be nice.

But yeah, I've had pretty crappy luck with enchantments as well. I think I managed to get a flaming sword maybe once.

Efficiency and Durability on tools don't exactly rock my world, but its nice to have you diamond tools last longer. I'd kill for a pick with Fortune on it though.

I really wish the game gave you the ability to decipher the runes for a particular enchantment once you've gotten it.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  14. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Back before Scavenger saved experience as well as items, I spent hours building up enough XP to enchant a helmet to get Water Breathing. I finally got Water Breathing I and Projectile Protection II. I would like a way to decipher runes too.

15. Owain Taggart

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

But it doesn't tell you what the enchantment does, so it's not very useful. :)

17. TheGodBen

Up until now I've been doing low-level enchants on weapons and armour. Getting a level 1 enchant on a bow will always give you Power I which means you can kill most mobs in two shots instead of three, so that's always good to have.

I want high-level enchants now because I'm hankering to go after the enderdragon and figure I should be as prepared as possible. Since Jeb has seemingly forgotten about removing the limitation on only having three strongholds per world, I used MCEdit to place one in my world so that I can finally access an End portal. I also used the Biome Painter tool to fix all my biomes, which had been bugging me.

Fortune would be good, as would Silk Touch. It would be fun to be able to place grass in the Nether, and they're bringing back the ability to pick up ice blocks, so I can put an ice-rink in my town.

The reason why the Efficiency enchant annoyed me is because it's largely useless on a diamond pick. Diamond picks mine most blocks quickly anyway, its only use is to mine obsidian which is something I rarely do. Besides, judging by the graphs, at level 50 the probability of me getting Efficiency III is tiny compared to Efficiency IV, so it really was the crapiest enchant I could get.

18. Owain Taggart

True. I guess you just have to have fun going with something that sounds cool, hoping to get something good out of it.

19. TheGodBen

According to Notch, Minecraft on the Xbox 360 sold enough in its first hour on sale to make it profitable. That's just... wow. :eek: I mean, they've had a studio working on the conversion for a year.

Also, the new snapshot has the option to create worlds with super-large biomes. I've been waiting for that since biomes were added to the game, it always disappointed me that in the middle of a desert you could still see two or three other biomes off in the distance.

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm one of the rare people who's never played any other version but bought the 360 version after playing the demo. Four hours later (it's freaking 2am at this point), I have the start of a giant mansion that's basically built over the initial miner's house you start with. :lol:

I don't know if I'll ever get to the more advanced stuff but I'm having a ball treating it as a virtual Lego set. I know the 360 version is a year behind the PC version but it works well enough, especially since it managed to suck up 4 hours of my life on the first night I owned it. :wtf: