IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cdgodin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no such reference in AGT. I think you're thinking of Parallels (solely written by Braga) in which we do get a glimpse of a universe where the Federation has been overrun by the Borg.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh? Of course not, why would you think that? It's hardly unusual for different creators working in the same universe to arrive at similar ideas -- in fact, it's pretty much unavoidable. And it's not as if "the Borg eventually conquer the whole galaxy" is a difficult idea to come up with. I'm just suggesting that, while of course this comic is offering a separate interpretation than the novelverse does, the reader could choose to interpret it as an alternate timeline following the precedent that's already been laid out in the prose. Although, of course, I haven't read the comic yet so I don't know for sure whether that could work.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Oops. Yeah, meant "Parallels" - the only thing I was remembering clearly when I posted before was the inclusion of multiple Enterprises.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And it probably works the other way around, too. Suppose you're just reading the comics and suddenly you're told that you have to read the novels, too, just to understand what's going on.

"What the hell is an Aventine? Or a Typhon Pact? That's not from any of the comics!"

5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Is it wrong that I'm really looking forward to this?

It's okay, that was a rhetorical question. :)

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Paul D Storrie, who wrote "The Old Ways" for "Alien Spotlight: Andor, deliberately included the four-partnered paradigm set up by the DS9 Relaunch novels.

7. Christopher

I didn't remember that, but I did remember that the separatist group in "The Old Ways" was referenced in Paths of Disharmony.

8. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Alien Spotlight: Cardassians was mostly set on Ananke Alpha too, also from the DS9 novels.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read the first issue of Hive. I liked it.

I had my doubts when I heard it was Braga behind it, but the first issue was well done, solid writing and artwork. I hope that Braga has a little fun and introduces us to more of the Enterprise-D crew, such as Lt. Archer.

I thought it was interesting that Braga brought Vash back (I wonder if he created the character?) and his take on Seven of Nine was interesting. I wonder if Voyager had gone on or gotten a movie, if Braga would've pushed for that.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Irah Steven Behr wrote Captain's Holiday, Vash's first appearance, so I think that would make him her creator.

11. Christopher

As JD says, Ira Steven Behr created Vash in TNG: "Captain's Holiday." Braga didn't begin his association with Trek until the following season.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Due to illness I haven't been able to get out to buy this yet, but I have read the preview pages online and it certainly seems interesting.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having there be any more Borg in the novelverse continuity post-Destiny would undermine the dramatic purpose and integrity of the Destiny trilogy.

14. DarKush

^
    Thanks JD and Christopher for that info on Vash. I'm glad that Braga did include her in the first issue. It was nice to see her again and to think that Picard carried on a friendship with her beyond the show.

Now Sci, I agree with what you are saying about the integrity of the Destiny trilogy, but the Borg are too big a part of Trek to be wiped out forever. I think they will be back in the novels eventually. Granted there are many of us on the boards who groan about the Borg and feel they are overused, but along with the Klingons, the Borg are probably the second best known adversarial group for mainstream fans.

15. Christopher

^Yeah, but that's why it's good that we have other continuities going like IDW's and ST Online's. It's not like there's nowhere fans can go to see Borg stories.

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm with Christopher. Fans looking for Borg stories can go to alternate continuities like the IDW comics. But I really hope they never come back to the novelverse; frankly, there's nowhere to go with them anymore. Their dramatic potential has been exhausted, and they've been given a brilliant send-off that frankly shouldn't be undermined or contradicted.

17. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i just read it. Can't say i was too terribly impressed. Most of it felt like a rehash of the Scorpion 2 parter from Voyager. Not the greatest pacing either for this story.

18. DarKush

^
    I felt more charitably about it than you did :). There were some shades of Scorpion in the comic, which I didn't mind at all because Scorpion was one of my favorite VOY episodes. The comic did introduce a Species 8472-like species on steroids. However I'm hopeful that the new species will be handled better than Species 8472 was.

Sci,

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. While I do think there has been a lot done with the Borg already, but I'm not writing off that one or more novel writers in the future won't come up with some interesting new take on them. I did think that Destiny did a good job ending their story, if it winds up being the final story, but I just can't believe that their popularity or their ubiquity won't make some novel readers or writers-perhaps not many among us-want to see them again in the books.

19. Christopher

Personally I never thought the Borg were that great an idea. There was very little you could do with them story-wise; they were more a force of nature than a personified antagonist. That's why the series shifted to telling stories about liberated drones, and introduced the Queen to give them a face and voice. The original concept was just too limited. If you want big space battles and action, then sure, you can use them for that, which is why they're still around in ST:O. But as a source of story they're problematical. So they don't work as well in prose.

Recall that before the post-NEM TNG novels, the Borg were rarely seen in Trek Lit. The Borg were introduced on TV in 1989; Resistance and Before Dishonor were published in 2007. In between those, the only novels that really featured the Borg in a central role were Vendetta, The Return, and Engines of Destiny. There were a couple of stories about finding Borg ruins (Mission: Gamma -- Lesser Evil and Corps of Engineers: The Light), and eleven out of the total 211 stories in Strange New Worlds were Borg-related. Plus they made a cameo in The Siege and were implicitly referenced in Probe. That's three featured roles and a few sidebars in eighteen years. That's not a lot of prose. And there are reasons for that.

20. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Downloaded the iPad version last night. Quick read but I enjoyed it.