Casting Superman?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jul 2, 2010.

?

Who Do You Want To Play Superman?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2010.
  1. Matthew Bomer

10.4%
  2. Henry Cavill

8.3%
  3. Chace Crawford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Christian Howard

1.0%
  5. John Barrowman

4.2%
  6. Jon Hamm

13.5%
  7. Brandon Routh

46.9%
  8. Tom Welling

14.6%
  9. Other.

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Let's put it to a vote...not like it will count for anything...just for fun. :lol:

In the Nolan/Goyer Superman movie...

Who Would You Like To See Play Superman?

Matthew Bomer 5'11"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Bomer

Henry Cavill 6'1"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cavill

Chace Crawford 5'10"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chace_Crawford

Christian Howard 5'10"
    http://www.christianhoward.co.uk/

John Barrowman 5'11"-6' depending on the source.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barrowman

Jon Hamm 5'11"-6' depending on the source.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hamm

Brandon Routh 6'3"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Routh

Tom Welling 6'3"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Welling

---Vote For Your Favorite---​

You can choose 1-2-3 or all or none. :lol:

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

John Barrowman would be awesome, but honestly I would prefer to see Brandon Routh in the cape again.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The correct answer is Jon Hamm:

[​IMG]

4. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Brandon Routh:techman:
    He was great in Superman Returns..and deserves a second opportunity to wear the cape:)
    Though, most likely they will cast someone other, who is not on this list:shifty:

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I feel really bad knowing Brandon Routh will never wear the cape again.

The guy was fantastic and easily the best thing in Superman Returns. Whatever flaws that film has, none of them were his fault.

There was a time I thought no one would erase Christopher Reeve's image in my mind as the image of Superman. Whoever plays it next is gonna' have to top two people now.

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I can see that working.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

9. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to see Routh given a chance to play Superman and not Reeve playing Superman. Seeing him on Chuck convinced me he can pull it off. The problem with Returns was not Routh, it was Singer trying to make a sequel to the Reeve movies.

10. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I was going with the asumption Brandon Routh would be replaced, so I picked the 4th one down.

11. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

While I enjoyed Superman Returns, it had it's share of problems. Brandon Routh wasn't one of those problems. I thought he did a pretty good job and I'd like to see him get another shot at playing Supes.

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Hamm would be 42 by the time it's out. Barrowman also well into middle age by then. Maybe just stick with Routh.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fact that boring, talentless Routh is willing tells us the problem: that there's no obviously right candidate for Supes on the horizon. They'll just have to roll the dice again with an unknown.

This time it would really help if they had writers and a director who aren't afraid to embrace the Superman story at its core (Truth, Justice and the American Way). To de-racinate the story to make it appeal to a global audience just results in unappetizing mush, so why bother?

I'll tell ya what the global audience wants: something that does have a core, however broadly defined, and has the courage of its convictions. This core doesn't have to be sophisticated or deep - it can just be a gloss, with visual spectacle and action providing most of the entertainment - but it does have to be present. All the slam-bang SFX in the world won't disguise that dreadful whiff of hypocrisy and chickenshit-ness in a movie with no core. Avatar is a good example of a shallow-but-earnest message in an otherwise visual/action oriented movie.

Here's hoping the producers of Captain America understand all this.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hamm looks a lot like the Silver Age Superman ( especially as drawn by Curt Swan) but as someone said, he is too old. Older worked for RDJ in Iron Man, but this is different and Clark Kent is not Tony Stark.

Routh's time had passed. Go for someone new. And dump the 5'11'' guys.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It should be someone at least 6'2" and in their mid-thirties. No more portraying Superman as a kid.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer to have Routh back in a SR sequel, but if we're going with the new Nolan version, I'd probably go with Bomer. He's one very good looking dude, and everytime I see him on White Collar I can't help but imagine him in the costume.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Someone at 5'11" can be faked to look taller...it happens in movies all the time.

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^Absolutely. Thanks to creative camera angles, there are millions of moviegoers all over the world who are completely unaware that Tom Cruise is a midget!

Ghaa! He's not wearing his glasses! He's exposed his secret identity!:scream:

Personally, I'd like to see Brandon Routh back. But then, I'd also like to see Bryan Singer back. I loved Superman Returns. It wasn't perfect but neither were the Christopher Reeve movies. And since they've had a movie to work out the kinks, I think Singer & Routh could give us something really special for their follow-up. Alas...:(

I'd still like to see Routh back with another director, but that would also depend greatly on the kind of story that they plan on telling. Is it going to be an older, established Superman or a young man showing us the emotional journey of how he became the hero we all know & love? How much backstory are we going to get? How deeply intwined will this movie be with the mythology for its potential sequels? Until I know that, I can't reasonably pick out a Superman.

19. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Routh was a block of wood. Let's be clear, he was cast only because he bears a passing resemblance to Reeve.

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Count me as another vote for Brandon Routh. He wasn't a strike against SR (at least in my opinion).