DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. moriluk

moriluk Ensign Red Shirt

New to DS9. I have now watched all Star Trek episodes/series but this one. I am in 3rd season now.

I actually came here to find out why Thomas Riker & O'Brien had such a confusing interaction. But it seems I am not supposed to ask that because it was asked 3 years ago and everyone gets pissy about it.

I am starting to like the show. Started off a bit bland. But I feel all of them (except TOS) do.

Looking ahead I see some 6 or 7 parters. Just my style. Not always great for ratings. But this show lasted 7 seasons, same VOY & NG. This impresses me because this show gets somewhat bashed and is deemed unpopular by many. Only TOS and Enterprise were canceled. Sadly.

2. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Yeah, early DS9 suffered by doing some pretty generic TNG-style stories before fully establishing it's own rich back-story. The biggest complaint back in the day, that it was not set aboard a starship 'boldly going' became one of it's greatest assets, as we got to watch social and political developments in a region of deep space, and also witness quadrant-changing events from a singular perspective.

The characters are what make the show, and the Riker/O'Brien moment was born out of character histories the audience thought they knew well. I'm sorry you feel everyone got 'pissy' about your question, and I'll leave that question to its own thread.

You definitely have some great Trek ahead of you as you press on through the later seasons!

3. bluemoves

bluemoves Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and I am having a good time looking around and reading all the recent posts.

I am a big Star Trek fan in general, but DS9 is my personal favorite, with TNG coming in second. I'm not a big fan of TOS, although I watched it a lot as a kid.

I think DS9 is the most under-appreciated of the Trek series. It was the only series that felt like a true ensemble cast, with all the characters/actors contributing something to the series. Whereas, I often felt that TNG and VOY had a few central (key) characters, while the writers largely ignored the rest of the cast(s).

That said, I'm a fan of TNG and VOY, but not nearly to the extent of DS9.

Currently, I watch TNG, DS9, and VOY in chronological order, with 1-2 episodes each night. I'm in season 4 or VOY now, with a loop back to TNG when the series ends, probably in a few months. At this point, I've seen each series in its entirety at least 4 times. I can't seem to get enough of my Trek! LOL!

:lol:

4. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Welcome to the fray, bluemoves! I'm currently re-watching DS9 for the umpteenth time, just completed Season 3. Love revisiting TOS in HD, and cherry picking TNG eps, but DS9 deserves the saga treatment.

5. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

Hello, humanoids! I'm a Trek fan, having started off with the original series when I was younger, which my father loved, getting into TNG through a friend in grammar school, and getting into DS9 in middle school through reruns. I started watching around "In Purgatory's Shadow...", though I had seen "Whispers" when I was much younger. And I grew to love the show! I began to buy the DVD seasons through high school and had them all. It's been a bit of a family affair, as my brother, cousin, dad, and (especially) girlfriend have also seen many - if not all - of DS9. I've been recently watching a selection of Enterprise and Voyager.

As for the books, I've read the relaunch and am next going to read "Destiny." Some of the books have been great!

And, in spite of my name, the character I relate most to is actually Bashir, though perhaps I like Odo more.

Again, hello.

6. biggirl2012

biggirl2012 Cadet Newbie

Sometimes things that are great are just great all by themselves, whatever recognition or lack thereof they may have at a given moment. Naturally there are of course lots of people who recognize that DS9 was great, but on some level it doesn't really matter how many. It was what it was, and I'm personally glad I'm among those that appreciate how great this show was at its best.

[​IMG]
    phan mem seo ,phan mem seo ,phan mem seo ,phan mem seo ,phan mem dang tin

7. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

I need to start a DS9 weekend I think. Maybe when I'm back to the 2 day weekend and not working Sundays.

8. Vayne

Vayne Ensign Newbie

Hi everyone,

I guess it's fair to say that I was brought into the trek world from early childhood when my older brothers would camp me in front of the TV. I was more familiar with Vulcans and Orions than I was with "Dick and Jane."

I fell in love with DS 9 from the very beginning, and for myself rank it with TOS for my personal faves. I was so thrilled this summer when my 12 year old daughter marathoned her way through the entire DS 9 run. I like to think of her as a trekkie-in-training.

I've been enjoying the board here for some time, and in the past month finally felt brave enough to post.

See you around the boards :-)

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Welcome, Vayne!

10. doobington

doobington Ensign Red Shirt

Hi

Not new to Star Trek or DS9 but new here. Looking forward to the journey.

11. badgerman300

badgerman300 Cadet Newbie

Hey Everyone!!

I've been watching star trek for years and my favourite has always been DS9, It was the one that got me into it after all. Anyone who is watching it is in for a treat, people say that the reason why it DS9 wasn't as good as the others was because there was no ship, but i think it makes up for that by having a great plot, amazing characters and an overall superb feeling, have a good time watching it, i sure did!! :D

12. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whaddup all. I am a DS9er and was hooked to the series the first time I saw all seven seasons. It had some of the best episodes, and it was really gripping, partly because it was only partially episodic, unlike TNG. Each episode built upon the last and I really like that sort of thing. I was so awed I wrote my own continuation of the series, anyway, it's good to be here.

13. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 is probably my favorite overall, and a big reason for that is the characters. They all progressed incredibly well and the cast was fantastic and balanced.

I also feel DS9 was the last "great" ST series, and was the only good spinoff (I don't really look at TNG as a proper spinoff since it was a resuming.) Having gone on to a current watchthrough of Voyager, I think it had potential to have similar character progressions, but the writing totally wasn't there. I really wish that it and Enterprise would have learned something from DS9.

14. defiantfan

defiantfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello just gotta say that I feel like I have found my place here. I don't really have too many local friends who appreciate Trek and DS9 the way I do. I especially have few female friends who care about this sort of thing. I watched DS9 in high school when it was on UPN, I remember buying the magazines, books, and so forth but when I got to college I kept quiet about all that and discovered boys instead. I feel like I am back in full gear again and I can't believe I took this long to join! Thank you

15. NextGen123

NextGen123 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is the best board here. I purchased DS9 on DVD when it was first released at $99 per season! After I completed my set the price eventually dropped to less than half. As a result I have seen the show backwards and forwards three times already. I read the DS9 novels and am disappointed that it isn't continuing with the momentum it once had.

I love the show and Far Beyond the Stars is my favorite and most heart felt episode to me. I was hoping there would be a revival of some type; however Paramount doesn't agree. It's sad to me to think that some Star Trek fans don't get this show. All you have to do is watch and see that it has a lot more depth than the others. This is not to say I don't enjoy NG,Voy and Ent. It's just that I wish it was well written as Deep Space Nine, which I'll always miss terribly.

16. The Caprican

The Caprican Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi! I'm a new poster (first day) and even though this is a Star Trek site, I was unprepared for the amount of deep space love on the site. DS9 is by FAR my favorite series, though I do love them all. It's nice to see so many others out there appreciating the most thought-provoking, deep, and finely detailed of the series. I still watch at least an hour or two every week.

Looking back on the series, Kira Nerys was one of my favorite characters. Her journey from war torn rebel with a lot of anger and bitterness to a more mature, spiritual and wise individual was one of the best transitions that occurred on the series. Though, unlike some series where certain actors got short shift (Did Harry Kim get to actually DO anything during his time on Voyager?) it seems that all of the DS9 characters had their own well thought out character arcs.

But I think it was Sisko's estimation of the Maquis in "The Maquis, Part II" that summed it up best: "The problem is Earth....." "It's easy to be a saint in paradise." That entire speech to Major Kira defined the series for me. These were flawed indivduals with their own baggage. None of them were perfect. They fought. They made mistakes. "In fact, we have some damned good fights. But we always come out of it with a better understanding of each other." I loved that they could be heroes, and that it wasn't always easy for them to be heroes. To me, life was always too antiseptic aboard the Enterprise. So to see people I could truly relate to, as the 13yo kid I was when DS9 premiered, was very alluring.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on several tangents. But thanks for the forum to allow me to geek out.

17. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Hello!

I have been a Star Trek fan most of my life. I remember watching TOS reruns with my father when I was a little girl.

DS9 is my favourite series. What do I love about it? The character development, the relationships, the conflict between the characters, the story arcs, the exploration of culture and religion, the bad guys, the strong women, and so much more.

My second favourite series is TOS. I am also a fan of ENT and NuTrek. I hope that is accepted around here. ;)

18. xylem

xylem Ensign Newbie

Hi - just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm new to the site - have been lurking for about a week now. It's exciting to find a place that's so affirmative of DS9.

Like many, I largely overlooked this series back in the day (I watched it regularly right from the beginning, but TNG was where my heart lay... and DS9 has the distinction of being the only trek I gave up on before it finished - at the time, I couldn't bear the war-focus of the later seasons).

But in more recent years of rewatching, I've found myself more and more drawn to DS9, and amazed at how this series seems to have aged much better than the others. It's not just the larger story arcs, but the way in which DS9 had much to say about the current social/political era, the war on terror etc. It's really hard to believe that it was written pre-9-11, when much of the tenor of the cardassian/bajoran conflict and the recovery from post-terrorism could have been written specifically to address these struggles. I guess that speaks to how universal these themes are... with every new world-conflict, these themes feel as though they were written specifically to reflect it.

Anyhow - delighted to have a place to talk about these things (and about Trek more generally)

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Welcome to TrekBBS Xylem and Caprican

20. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Aren't you forgetting someone...? :p;)