"Yorktown: A Time to Heal" - Official thread for the Sulu fan film!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Atkin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ernie90125

ernie90125 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I found this forum whilst googling for this project, (emails to the Yorktown website don't get a response), and this is my first post.

Basically I was going to say the same thing as the above. It's certainly not a criticism on my part, but there is a flood of fans filming themselves in TOS fanfilms, whereas this had the unique highlight of George Takei being in the fanfilm. It may fulfil that fans wish to be their hero for a day, but what of this unique opportunity to add to the Star Trek canon ?

It seems to be that, instead of fans filming themselves being Captain Kirk/Other, that approaching George Takei to appear in another fanfilm, would have majored on the uniqueness of this fanfilm AND added to its further distinctiveness AND given us a rarely seen glimpse into the world of Excelsior?

That would have been worth a Kickstarter and really added something to Excelsior fans' meagre collection !

Maybe two versions can be made ?

2. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Hi Ernie. I did get your email and responded to it from my Hotmail account. You might want to check your junk folder.

In regards to filming new scenes with George (on the Excelsior), in the way that New Voyages did with World Enough and Time, it just wouldn't work for our story. Yorktown takes place at a specific point in time, and giving it bookends with Sulu in the future just would serve no purpose to the story.

Having said all that, I would love to see a fan film with George as Sulu on the Excelsior that was a self contained story.

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Marc Scott Zicree, writer of World Enough and Time, wrote up a proposal for a pilot episode for a webseries starring Sulu:

https://marczicree.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/capt_sulu_series_bible.pdf

It's interesting how it takes elements from ST6 and WEAT, but I sadly feel that the ship for an Excelsior series has sailed, however hopefully can put his Starfleet uniform one more time - a one off Excelsior movie/episode could be fun!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just hang around until john Cho's career disappears.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No thanks to Captain Sulu's. It's been a bore every time George has gotten the center seat. I'd rather just see this film completed as intended.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  6. ernie90125

Thank you for responding to my post Mr Atkin. I have searched my junk mail folder but to no avail. I certainly am not being judgmental about your portions of the fanfilm.

If not A Time to Heal (surprisingly, but we haven't read the script) then I do hope a Star Trek Excelsior fanfilm will happen one day.

The key point in my first post was that we have a flood of TOS fanfilms, yet so very little of the Excelsior chapter, despite the seeming willingness of the key man of the story, George Takei, to take part in fanfilms.

It surprises me someone hasn't grabbed the bull by the horns already and made it so !

Danlav05 likes this.
  7. BillJ

I doubt such a project would be cheap. Starting from scratch doing an Excelsior-era film would be time consuming as well.

8. Maurice

George has to be paid these days. He sure didn't do WEAT for freebies.

Ryan Thomas Riddle and BillJ like this.
  9. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I think a one-off story presenting Sulu at the end of his tenure of the Excelsior would work, assuming he held the post for a long time. He's kept good care of himself but he can't portray himself at the age he was in Trek VI anymore.

Danlav05 likes this.
  10. Danlav05

Question there is would you show him as Captain Sulu or Admiral Sulu?

I agree it should take place a significant time later, sadly Grace Lee Whitney is no longer with us so Janice Rand won't be by his side this time.

I admit it would be nice to give George one final adventure as Walter & Nichelle are getting in Renegades, and even though he returned in Into Darkness, Nimoy 'passed the baton' in Trek09.

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

That pitch sounds ... dreadful.

BillJ likes this.
  12. BillJ

And not cheap to pull off.

13. Maurice

Just scanning it. As a pitch doc goes it's a turd.

14. Captain Atkin

If the rumours today are true and the new Star Trek TV show takes place after the events of The Undiscovered Country, I could easily see Sulu appearing in an episode of the series.

15. Captain Atkin

Finishing up work this week on our Klingon scenes. Pictured is our Klingon K-Fighter pilot.

Note: film grain still to be added.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  16. Danlav05

The image is broken.

Incidentally today is George Takei's 79th Brithday

17. ernie90125

I wondered this too...

I remember suggesting on a Trek writers' blog, when he mentioned he'd submitted ideas for Trek, that a series made up of episodes from different eras, would allow Trek to find its feet again.

Evidently the future of Trek was not in Enterprise, but by launching a new series, they were then committed to it. Whereas an Anthology series is less of a risk and is a perfect opening to see if Excelsior can return Star Trek to its former glories...

18. Maurice

Have you been in touch with Andy Probert? I know the K-Fighter was his design.

Expensive, because you need a lot more sets. This is why most shows are build around a standing set of locations.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  19. Captain Atkin

Yes, we have been working with Andy Probert on the design of the ship. He sent us sketches of the cockpit that we fleshed out.

20. Maurice

Cool. I was just on the phone with him earlier today so when you posted that pic it got me thinking.

Captain Atkin likes this.