Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Eyes, May 12, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Bad news surely?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The real question, the only question is will any song score nul points? ;)

3. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

I doubt that. Because of so many countries the odds of no-one chucking your entry at least a point are slim. Hasn't been one in the final since UK 2003.

Well by that I mean something I couldn't stand to spend 3 minutes listening to (which is rare as I'm fairly open-minded about these things but there were a couple last year). The entries I'm slightly sad about getting through are bland ballady numbers which blocked some really interesting ethnic stuff that would have livened up the final a lot. Some of the ballads are great this year, some are not.

Totally novelty entries are fine if there's a small number so we don't get overloaded - the contest is slowly but surely winning back its credibility work with me here.

This year has provided about 12 songs I'll probably continue to listen to after the contest in a 'really genuinely like these songs' way and I like it like that, I'd far prefer that to a night of shit songs (ha ha 'that's what it is anyway'... my music taste is not like that :p) . Besides, half those songs have kooky staging so you'll remember them - it should be a fun night.

Also Turkey (who weren't taking part this year anyway but..) have decided to not broadcast the final because Finland is including a lesbian kiss in their performance. Um.. yeah. :rolleyes:

4. JoeZhang

We completely differ then - I'm (and my friends who have euro-vision parties) not interested in twelve credible acts - I'm interested in a man dressed as a hoover break-dancing or similar.

5. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have enjoyed this years ESC. I found the second semi to be more enjoyable, even though most of my favorites were on the first:)
    My favorites this year: Denmark, Germany and Ukraine.
    I also like: Norway, Spain, Georgia, Lithuania and even Romania somewhat.
    Russia and Estonia are not bad either, kudos to latter of getting to the final with their own language.

I think Sweden has done well hosting the contest so far and I have enjoyed it much:techman: The overall song quality has been fine, though not so many I would call my favorites..less than previous years I would say.

Looks like Denmark is big contender for winning, I do not mind but its bit dull that its decided beforehand. I hope there will be some excitement with the results at least, before the winner is announced this evening.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the problem now is that it wants to be a credible music competition rather than a freak show. And that is a problem, because whilst many of the songs being entered are no longer idiotically poor, they are not credible or interesting either. They are the blandest, most watered down, middle of the road crap you could imagine.

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Down Here we get it on Fri-Sat-Sun nights, so I'm watching semifinal 2 right now. ESC is huge here, you may have seen the clip in semi 1. So many things I could say about it, there's less bizarro than there used to be, which is sad, but gee there's some good stuff. Really liked Ukraine, powerful voice, thought the astronaut one odd, Greece funny, and right now Norway is on and I like it, pretty different, she's certainly charismatic. More later.

8. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Yeah, they are going for the trick of appealing to as many people as possible. It's those damn Voice contestants. I'm hoping and expecting that many of those will cancel each other out (even if I do like some of the MoR stuff a lot) and votes will go to the more unique songs but when the likes of Azerbaijan and Russia are in it to win it by any means necessary they aren't going to risk alienating anyone.

I'd love the contest to become a credible inter-country competition but I don't want it to bore its audience at the same time.

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Romania is on. What the hell?!

Being rocky by nature I preferred Switzerland and Albania.

In brief:
    Latvia: bringing back Jedward

Macedonia: a little weird

Azerbaijan well done but no winner

Bulgaria: pretty ethnic (this is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned).

Greece: awesome, and a song that would go well Down Here

Israel: good singer but not a winning song

Armenia: John Goodman on keyboards! :D

Norway: awesome, just great

Albania: that's my speed, rocking it up!

Bring on the final!

10. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Romania's my least favourite in the final, it's just bizarre. Bulgaria was sooo good, such a shame it didn't make it to the final - the same act made it in for them in 2007 so I had been hoping.

Norway is really modern and credible electropop, I hope it can do well although I'm worried people won't take to it as much as the radio-friendly stuff.

11. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I avoided the semis so as not to be spoiled for the actual performance. In a way, I feel it takes a lot out of the show that you can have seen the final performance right before it.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a good night to get mostly drunk and fall around laughing. I don't want it to be a Serious Song Contest. The only sad bit is it's never been the same without Wogan.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Agreed, Norton does an ok job, but it's not been the same since Wogan stopped doing the commentary for the UK.

And if I tune in, I only tend to tune in for the results of the voting.

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The most surprising thing for me is how surprised the German commentator was that Cascada did so badly. What did they thought they would get with a side show act performing a blatant rip-off of last year's winning song?

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well at least the UK wasn't last and did improve slightly on last year. But most of the Big 5 struggled.

15. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

They are a big name over Europe in the charts so I was expecting them to do well too. However it means UK did 2nd best out of all of the top 5!!!11!! YAY!

Anyway, underwhelming winner - not had one of those IMO for a while. :( I did love 2nd, 3rd and 4th place though so there is hope for my tastes.

Greece doing so well was great too - really brought a fun vibe to the proceedings. And Denmark should be great hosts next year anyway - I imagine a lot of Danes were in that hall given how close Malmo is.

16. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

What a great night. Me and my friends had a lot of fun trying to sing along in foreign languages, which is always more difficult after a drink. Sweden did a brilliant job hosting - I honestly can't remember laughing so much due to genuine humour. And the half-time song was absolute bonkers. I think I'm going to move there. ;)

I was underwhelmed with the top three, which was a shame. I was happy to see Malta, Greece, The Netherlands, Russia and Moldova get into the top ten though.

UK finished 19th, which is amazingly dizzy heights for us. I've already read one story condemning our 'Eurovision curse,' but nothing will happen till we take it more seriously.

17. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

God that was dull. Thank goodness graham norton was there to rip the pss. In a month we will all have forgotten who won. Till next year when it comes from there. Highlight the right royal f up by Lena Meyer-Landrut. Love how the BBC make extra sure of not winning by picking has beens the last thing the BBC wants is to fork out for Eurovision. Next year there is talk of the sex pistols being the uk entry. Should be fun.

18. JoeZhang

We all thought it was very dull - we forgot most of the songs as soon as they had finished - we did like the Guest appearance by the Master.

I did want Greece to win to see what economic/politic crisis that would kick off - and to see what Eurovision staged on a beach light by flood-lights would look like.

19. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The uk are talking about pulling out of it next year can't say I blame them

20. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

The BBC will never pull out as long as it remains a hugely popular TV show like this. It remains a night of cheap entertainment guaranteed to pull in huge ratings. And if they did pull out, ITV would just pick it up. No matter how many people complain, we're in it for the long haul.