Khan: Agent of Section 31?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Noddy, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Would a story or series of stories exploring Khan's time as a Section 31 operative be a good idea?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what IDW are doing with their Khan comic mini-series?

I'd much rather an anthology along the lines of Pocket's Myriad Universes where we see tons more "What if...?" Khan stories. One of the earlist advertised MyrU stories (back when it was called Split Infinities) was "what if the S.S. Botany Bay was discovered by the Enterprise-D?", but sadly it never materialized.

3. Noddy

Noddy Captain

It's my understanding that IDW are more covering Khan's beginnings on 20th century Earth, and his initial discovery by S31.

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^I kinda really like the "origins" story of Greg Cox's novels--the wars channeled through real-life history. Do these comics do the same kinda thing?

To the OP's question--as the great Hitchcock would say, it's not the idea that would make it "good" or "bad", necessarily...it's what you DO with it!

So, I'd say have at it--and let's see HOW your attempt comes out.

5. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

^ Ditto to what Rush Limborg said. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;))

Seriously though, I agree. You have laid out a broad premise (Khan, Agent of S31) without any specific story-line ideas. Sure, you could write some really great tales . . . or not. Why not throw out a few ideas that or more specific. Better yet, go ahead and start writing a Khan story. You'll get more helpful feedback that way.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not just make Khan the person who founded Section 31 in the 20th century? :lol:

7. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I do have one possible idea for a story: S31 sends Khan to infiltrate a Klingon research facility that is developing an army of Klingon Augments. Khan's mission is to destroy the entire operation, including all Augments. I picture this as being one of Khan's first assignments for S31, so the organization isn't yet ready to implicate the Federation and start a war, but they want to test Khan's loyalty to them. How's this?

8. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

that sounds very interesting, i like that idea

9. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Very promising. How will Khan respond to an order to, in effect, kill others of his own kind (albeit Klingons)? And the loyalty test by S31 makes sense.

I say run with it! :techman:

10. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Khan probably fought and killed enemy Augments during the Eugenics Wars though. :(

11. Rush Limborg

^True, but in that case it was "necessary"--they were at war with him, and vice versa. In this case, he's basically assassinating Augments who technically have no quarrel with him as of yet....

Anyhow, your story is most promising! Look forward to your posting it.

12. Noddy

Noddy Captain

One thing I'm unsure about is how Khan escapes from the Klingon facility. I suppose I could have him steal a shuttle from the station just before he blows it up (having already dealt with the Augments and scientists there), but wouldn't the Klingons be able to trace the craft back to Federation territory, via its vapor trail or something? Any suggestions, guys?

13. Rush Limborg

Do warp-capable ships leave vapor trails...?

14. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Would S31 even send in an undercover operative if they had a pretty good idea what was going on? If they wanted the facility and everything in it totally destroyed, why not send a ship to take it out?

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Well, it's up to you to explain why they don't do just do that. There are several ways where you can make a starship strike not suitable. However, you might not want to make it so. Given this is a test for Khan it would be very risky to send him on a mission where he could fail and the Klingons continue their project or betray and escape. Having a ship positioned to drop in and blow it up on the drop of a hat seems like a prudent backup.

On a general note, this really reminds me of what ENT did with the Augments in season...4?

Probably means warp trails. We often heard of people tracking warp trails and distinguishing warp signatures to specific operators.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new Enterprise is so cool, it leaves behind trails of ice when it jumps to warp.

17. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

That's doesn't fit the background of what Section 31 is:
    it's a clause in the UFP charter
    . Khan wouldn't be a part of that.

18. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

Ermegherd Khan in section 31 would be awesome. I would love to see Khan and Julian meeting in one story for some reason. Would they get along?

19. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first heard about that "Enterprise-D finds the Botany Bay" story I did what most folks undoubtedly did, thought about that story. But then I started to realize that story has a flip side. The absence of the Botany Bay from the twenty-third century.

Think about it, no Khan means no "Wrath of Khan"". No dead Spock, no "Search for Spock". No exile, no "Voyage Home". (We'd have seen three very different movies.)

I wonder where the Enterprise would have been when the Whale Probe struck.