Should I give Enterprise another chance?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Ryva Brall, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess unTrekky could be considered no time travel episodes... I swear Enterprise had like one out of four of their episodes relate to time travel in some form or fashion.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wanted more grit and swearing and less polish and goodness. It didn't seem very different than other Trek, not in a way that said they were pre-Federation. I'm always surprised when people say it wasn't star trek because it seemed quintessentially star trek to me.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of ENT. I hope you enjoy it :)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My problem during first run is I missed too many episodes, and had no idea what was going on in the Temporal Cold War and Xindi Arcs.

4. R. Star

Don't worry, the Temporal Cold War never went anywhere conclusive and the Xindi arc... well would that be a spoiler. :p

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

The best advice I can give you is to just watch the show and stay out of here until you finish it. That way your perspective will remain uninfluenced by the random fanboyishness of those who champion other T.V. shows.

6. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Go fer it. We have cookies here.

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

It's not Star Trek. Know that going in and you'll have a better understanding.

It also depends on your taste in writing. If you read Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray and thought they were both top-notch, best writing in the world, then yes, you'll enjoy Enterprise.

If you think Gigli, Disaster Movie, and Scary Movie 4 were robbed of the Oscar, then yes you'll enjoy Enterprise.

Otherwise, it's best to go with that first impression and leave it alone.

8. Use of Time

What the hell does that even mean? :rolleyes:

9. OmahaStar

Did you watch the opening credits? Every Star Trek series had Star Trek in the title. Beginning with the Next Generation right up through and including Voyager, it was Star Trek: followed by the subtitle.

Except Enterprise. Even Paramount acknowledged Enterprise isn't Star Trek. Make of that whatever you will.

10. R. Star

You obviously didn't watch seasons 3-4.

[​IMG]

11. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

Well I'm actually in the same boat here, but due to my obviously inferior attention span, I didn't even make it past Season 1. I just thought it was a very poor re-hashing of the same stuff we'd had in the past. Then 'In the Mirror Darkly' came on and I was totally blown away! Yet it just wasn't quite enough to get back fully back into the series, let alone convince me to go back and trawl through all the first and second seasons.

However, now that I've mellowed a bit too (and all the grey hairs are starting to poke through), I too am considering going back to to 'Prise'. Doug Drexler is actually trying to launch a 5th series comissioned by getting everyone to tune in to 'Prise' on Netflix. He's got a Faceache page about it and everything! I think now that more and more programs are getting a 'second life' online, this truly is the time to trek back to the future!

12. OmahaStar

Too little, too late. And really, what does it matter? The fact is, it was the first series - legitimately Star Trek or otherwise - to be cancelled since TNG hit the airwaves in 1987. There just weren't enough people willing to watch the drivel they were serving.

I mean, it's fine if you're a fan. That's great. I'd rather have a script written via a keyboard. I'm pretty sure Enterprise's scripts were written in crayon.

13. Use of Time

Haha, I guess I was searching for a deeper meaning of "its not Star Trek" than the actual phrase being listed in the opening credits. Do you actually have any opinions that aren't these wonderfully broad generalizations about nothing?

Anyway, this pretty much makes my point of why the OP should just watch the show in a vacuum and stay out of the boards until you are done.

14. R. Star

So now you're changing your argument? You don't like Enterprise, that's fine... but if you're going to preach about it at least get some consistent reasoning behind it. You haven't posted anything more articulate than to insult it and say it's not "real Star Trek" whatever that means.

15. Use of Time

I think you posting that picture of the opening credits has him scrambling to save face now, hence the irrational comparisons to Twilight, etc. It is a temper tantrum, nothing more, nothing less.

16. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

And soooo back on topic...

17. Use of Time

Hey, we are following the natural flow of conversation here that is bound to crop up in a thread like this. If you want to advance the topic, please do so. If not, we have mods to step in when things get out of line.

18. OmahaStar

:rommie:

Since the picture was post number 30, and my mention of Twilight was in post 27, your whole point has fallen flat on its face. Unless you think 30 comes before 27 somehow?

There are many reasons to not care for Enterprise. Why limit it to one?

Bad writing. Terrible acting. The theme song. Its fucked up timeline. Ferengi. A ship that is supposedly 100 years before the TOS Enterprise, yet looks far more advanced. Future Guy. A Night in Sickbay.

If you can overlook the numerous failings of the show, good for you. My opinion is that is a failure start to finish.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Any time you watch any television program more than once, you're giving that show another chance. And a person should always be willing to rethink things, whether it's "which shoe should I put on first today", or "should I never drink orange vodka again because I threw up that first time?".

20. Use of Time

Look up, you might see the point sailing way over your head...nope too late. Again, nothing but generalizations without anything specific to point out. You cherry picked what is notoriously bad but fail to address the countless things Enterprise did well. The Xindi arc, the Vulcan awakening arc, the augments and the Terra Prime movement.

A Night in Sickbay and the "Ferengi" make up about 2% of the entire series. I shouldn't have to explain why the Enterprise in 2004 looks more advanced than the one depicted in the late 1960's. Hell the Enterprise that is at port in my hometown looks more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise. The rest of your points are your garden variety generalizations without substance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.