Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Big thanks to Neroon for the thread title change. Yeah it is a big week next week:

-Avengers Vs X-Men #11
    -Avenging Spider-Man #12
    -Fantastic Four #610
    -Incredible Hulk #13
    -Scarlet Spider #9
    -Uncanny X-Force #31
    -Uncanny X-Men #18
    -Winter Solider #10
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #16 (first time we've had both books in the same week)

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

End of Secret Warriors.

The sordid details of her conception are mentioned in the text parts of Secret War.

3. Admiral_Young

I just checked out the preview that Turtletrekker linked to above, and this is a Bendis written issue of Avengers Vs X-Men....but damn...finally...if that wasn't an awesome preview. Shit looks like it's finally gonna happen in this thing. Maybe we'll finally get a decently written issue out of Bendis. That would be nice.

Thanks for the heads up about Secret Warriors and Daisy, I still have to check that out.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Just Incredible Hulk #13 for me next week.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nope. This was issue 10. Two more to go.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a few issues behind.

Has Betty chosen between Namor and Stephen yet?

7. Captain Craig

But when it is issue #11, it'll be one more to go. ;)

8. Turtletrekker

Some spoilers ahead...

New Avengers 30 is marginally an AvX crossover, but is primarily a focus on Luke Cage and where his head and heart are right now. It provides a good bookend to the Luke/Jessica focused issue that began the NA AvX crossovers, and brings a seeming resolution of Luke's arc/time with the team. Figures that Bendis brought him into the team, and he'd want to bring him out, for no other reason than to keep control of his favorite character moving forward.

Avengers Assemble 7-- This arc is turning out to be a fun cosmic adventure with obvious nods to both the Avengers movie and to the future of Marvel movies. A good primar of the 616 for the stray movie-goer that strayed into a comic store-- as it was intended. New teams, both in and on the book, debut in issue 9 with Carol Danvers and Jessica Drew joining the team. Is this a hint of Marvel movie future, or is this becoming just-another-Avengers-book? I'm still not convinced as to why I should continue reading. What's the book's "hook" beyond issue 8?

Winter Soldier 10-- I grow to really despise Barnes new nemesis, Leo Novokov. Novokov ( a former pupil of Barnes in the Red Room days), utilizing the skills of a Soviet scientist who worked with Natasha before, programmed the captive Widow to believe that her time with the Avengers was all part of a long-term cover. In this state, she attacked and nearly killed Nick Fury, who was saved only by the sacrifice of long-time SHIELD supporting charcter Jasper Sitwell. :(

At the end, a team gathers to stop Natasha's new course by any means available. All of the team has history with Natasha-- Bucky, Cap, Hawkeye and Wolverine (The latter two were not really surprised at Barnes survival. Clint suspected something at Bucky's wake and Logan thought that the casket smelled liked a LMD) all of whom will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to stop their friend. The worst part for Bucky though, is that Nokov also had all memories of Natasha's time with him removed from her mind. So, even if they manage to save her, what they had together will be forever lost.

Captain America 17-- For an arc that is supposed to wrap-up loose ends, so far "New World Orders" has felt a little discordant. The tension between Steve and Sharon popped up out of nowhere, as well as the "triangle' between them and Rachael. I suppose that I'll have a more complete opinion after next issue's resolution, but so far, this "wrap-up" arc feels a little forced.

Fantastic Four 610-- Part one of the crossover with FF 22 with Bentley confronting his "father", the Wizard. Good stuff. Alas, Hickman's time with the first family of Marvel is drawing to a close. :(

Journey into Mystery 643-- Lordy, I'm going to miss this book. The notion that the people of Asgardia, in their first free election of leadership, elected Volstagg to lead them into war against Vanaheim was humorous on the surface, but Volstagg quickly shows himself to be a good leader of men who burdens the responsibility.
    Loki's "turn to the dark side", as much as I think it's a ruse, was still convincing and more than a little chilling. All of this has come down to the fact that as much as this new incarnation of Loki loves and respects his brother, he can never be Thor and shouldn't try. His subterfuge (if it indeed it turns out to be) seems to fool Surtur, the corrupted incarnation of Leah and even Ikol, the very spirit of Old Loki. In the end, Loki can't use heroics to save the day, he must use what makes him Loki.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  9. Turtletrekker

New take on the Thunderbolts. Amusingly led by "Thunderbolt" Ross himself. Interesting line-up.

10. Admiral_Young

11. Captain Craig

The Hulk and Punisher fan in me is very interested and I do find Elektra a unique character most times. Not a Deadpool fan, he's just a mutant Punisher, at all and don't like the new Venom, he's just Punisher with a symbiote.
    Lots of redundancy imo so I'm curious as to who the other characters are they will add as mentioned. If they have more variation to add then the book gets stronger as I see it.

12. Hound of UIster

Art by Steve Dillion.

Oh boy.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that a good or bad "oh boy"?

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So here's a question. I've been reading and surprisingly enjoying WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN via Comixology. I've gotten through the first few arcs but now every issue on seems to be branded with the A vs X logo. Am I going to be able to keep reading and enjoying this series or is it going to devolve into 1/15 of a story that I'll never read the other 14 parts of?

15. Admiral_Young

The Wolverine and the X-Men tie-ins for the most part are excellent IMO. Some cases more so than the actual event and no, part of Aaron's greatness is that he is still able to focus on his ongoing arcs while still touching on Avengers Vs X-Men stuff.

@CaptainCraig...I don't think I've ever heard Flash Thompson described as Punisher with a symbiote before ;) I have to admit though...I dropped the book a while ago. I was kind of getting bored with it. Started off awesome and just tailed off, now that Remender is gone it's not really worth continuing.

16. Turtletrekker

Wow. This sounds... lame.

Avengers Arena is the project hinted at that will utilize Avengers Academy and Runaways characters. I am a HUGE fan of both Avengers Academy and The Runaways, but I'll be skipping this, ar at least be waiting for trade.

I mean, to Hell with Wolverine, Spider-Man and Deadpool. Hazmat, Mettle, Stryker, Nico and Chase are amongst my favorite characters, and it seems like they are just being thrown into a meat grinder because nobody can find a use for them. Who wants to see their favorite characters thrown into a meat-grinder? :scream:

And an on-going? Set entirely within Murderworld? It's like they know that it won't last a year.:rolleyes:

This just sounds so derivative of so many things it's not even funny. And didn't they just do the Arcade vs teen heroes thing? House of Ideas? Hello?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  17. Captain Craig

^^^^^
    That sounds so, so lame. Essentially the title is a license to just kill off characters.
    Darkhawk is in there, NOOO. That's the one character I like in that list.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

All we do is grind meat.

The recent deadpool kills the marvel Universe all started because he figured out what we were doing, and he needed to save all the comic book characters from our merciless attention.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that sounds really lame. It seems to be a pointless attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games craze (Ok they're doing riffs on Battle Royale, but it's pretty clear Hunger Games was just as much of an inspiration). I just feel sorry for the poor characters who are going to be sacrificed for no good reason.

20. Hound of UIster

Isn't Darkhawk still being possessed by his suit's AI and working for the Shiar?