Windows XP Gaming Problems with Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by The DOS Machine, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Lord_Trekie

Lord_Trekie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Windows XP Problems WITH Solutions

How much older? I have no problem trying to downgrade my system to try and run New Worlds for a few days.

2. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I'm afraid my technical knowledge is pretty limited. I can try to find out what the graphics card is (since I think that's probably the main difference), but I don't know off the top of my head, and I'm not entirely sure how to find it out (some geek I am!).

3. Lord_Trekie

If you have DirectX then you can use the run command to run dxdiag, it will tell you almost everything about your computer, processor, memory, grapics card, sound card...

4. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

Okay, I'll try that, but it might be a while before I can get to that computer. I work tomorrow, so it mightn't be until the evening. :(

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi all I need help with DS9 Harbinger game, dose anyon know how to adjust the graphics with Dosbx 0.65 ? in the game when the cinimatics play the movie is pixceld (looks lik a messed uo checker board) and the refresh rate seems a little slow. the rest of th game works just fine, I use windows XP. I was looking for a walkthrough but I guss I should start wieh the tek help first. Thank You.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Can anyone know ware I can get help for S.T DS9 Harbinger game I found 2 walkthroughs but none have th advice I need. what do I do after I go back to the holodeck after shooting the cylnders? I always get stuck hear. thank you.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

hi all I'm new to this forum but can someone help me wit star trek Klingon i got it to install but when i try to play it all i get is Klingon caused a general protections error then it closes can someone please help me

Thanks Chris

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I know we weren't supposed to ask for help in this thread only post solutions to known problems but thought it be better than starting a new Thread.

I decided to play Armada 1 again other day and it installed fine and loaded up the game but when it comes to actaully starting a mission either on SP or Quick battle it starts to jitter and becomes unplayable and some times crashes altogether could anyone help.

9. Lord_Trekie

Go into your DxDiag and turn down the hardware acceleration for the sound, then if that is unsuccessful, try the same for graphics.

10. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I was so desperate once that i bought an old 486 so I can run the damn thing and it still gave me problems :mad:

11. Maric

Maric Cadet Newbie

Hello, I'm in need of some help. I have STDS9 dominion wars. and I have no idea whats goin on. I instaill the game, that goes great. i then set the comp. mode to win 98. set the res to 800/600 just to be safe. 16bit. I then click on the icon to start the game. well the screen goes black and a error message pops up.>problem with driver enumeration< what is this. I have windows XP, I spent the last 3 days updatting my computer. I then go through the prosses all over again. but end up with the same thing. I no expert but I think it might be the disk, I have checked the device manager and nothing wrong there. Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! the patchs dont work with mine eather. >files found but cant up date< i get something like that when I run the patch. ?????????????????????

12. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I recently bought Star Trek: Borg, but under Windows XP, the graphics were grainy and distorted. I looked into Virtual PC, and was finally able to run it with decent graphics! (Well, decent enough - obviously it was never going to be DVD quality.)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/downloads/sp1.mspx

There's Microsoft's (free!) Virtual PC software. It simulates a PC inside Windows XP. You can install Windows 95, 98, ME, etc. - as long as you've got an installation CD - and then run Windows 95-based games natively with few problems.

Nightcrawler, your problem with this is that your hard drive is NTFS - this isn't an issue. The Virtual PC software asks you what OS you're going to install and sets everything up, so for a Windows 95 installation, it'll generate a virtual FAT32 hard drive. And if you have problems, you can use FDISK and FORMAT commands from a bootdisk to set up the hard drive as you'd like it.

13. Lord_Trekie

Unfortunatly that does sound like a disk error, I have the same game running on XP Pro SP2, with a 2.4GHz processor. If you can you should try to find a new CD, even if it's just to borrow and see if it really is the CD.

14. pleschga

pleschga Captain Captain

So did we ever get a step-by-step set of instructions for installing ST 25th Anniv. in DosBox?

It'd be great if anyone could send those to me, cause all of the above is making my head spin!

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Captain's Chair up and running on Windows XP? (I'm amazed at how little info there is on this title!)

16. Linklinker

Linklinker Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well what exactly is your problem with it.

17. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Anyone know anything about BASIC that could help me fix my version of Super Star Trek ?

- Problems -
    1. ship navigates strangely....

..\|/
    5-0-1
    ../|\

It's suposted to navigate like that but for some reason it doesn't, which is odd, as I didn't alter the orginal code from the 1970's version of Super Star Trek that much.....

I managed to fix other problema I was haveing like my sheilds not getting any power to them, but for some reason I can't seem to get the navigation problem solved.....

I looked through the code several times now and i'm just stumped as can be, I used Q-BASIC to edit it so i'd not be as hard as to have to edit in regular BASIC....

http://www.Furnation.com/Woulfe/StarTrek/TREKGAME.BAS

There's the file in question if anyone can help me out
    with it i'd be greatful indeed may even put your name in the game credits as official debugger....

Woulfe
    * BASIC programer with a verry rusty memory *

18. Tallguy

Director Player 5.0 tells me I need at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run. I've read about people not being able to run it on XP, but no one has given a solution.

Actually, if I could just extract the QT files that would be swell too...

19. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All of the Simon and Schuster titles... every last one of 'em it seems... used Quicktime as a major component.

The problem with Quicktime is that there are a series of totally incompatible versions out there. It just generally sucks. And that's pretty much entirely Apple's fault.

The GOOD thing about Quicktime, in any version, is that it's entirely non-3D-accelerated. Which means that it will run perfectly from within a "VirtualPC" environment.

So, to run any of these old S&S Trek titles... Captain's chair, the Encyclopedia (any version), the TNG Tech Manual... you need to install VirtualPC, set up a virtual Win9x machine, and install the Trek programs into that virtual environment.

Usually, I've found that VirtualPC isn't the best option... in cases where any direct hardware access is part of the program. But these programs are IDEAL for virtualization.

I'm going to assume you have an old Win98SE disk laying around someplace. That's what I've done, so that's all I can address.

You need to get VirtualPC from the Microsoft website. There are other "virtual pc" type programs out there, as well... VMWare, for instance... but this is the one I'm using. Heres' the link to get the program. It's free...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Install it. Create a "virtual drive" to use (it'll look like a single huge file from within your REAL operating system). The program does this quite easily, so don't get intimidated.

What you have is a software program which is a complete virtual computer INSIDE of your REAL computer. It thinks it has certain pieces of hardware installed (even though these don't actually physically exist). It will run more slowly than your REAL machine does... but since the programs are old, this should not be a problem.

So, once you have a "virtual machine" created (through a wizard, most likely), you'll "boot up" that virtual machine and, using the NORMAL procedure, "install" Windows 98SE onto that virtual machine (realizing that this is not happening on your REAL machine..).

So you have a nice clean "virtual computer" running Windows 98 now, with no other software installed. Go into that virtual machine and install, IN THERE, the Simon and Schuster programs. They will install the appropriate versions of Quicktime and everything will work perfectly.

This will work for most all of your older programs which do not require direct hardware access (for instance, anything involving 3d acceleration WILL NOT WORK).

Now, realize that many programs can be run more easily using DOSBox, or using VDMSound, directly from within WinXP. But anything involving Quicktime in the "older" versions will need to be on a separate machine... or a separate VIRTUAL machine, in this case. Also note that some programs... say, Captain's Chair... may install a newer version of Quicktime that may interfere with the older versions in, say, the Tech Manual (I'm not 100% sure that this can't be resolved!). If this turns out to be unresolvable... you can create a complete "virtual machine" for each program if you want (and if you have the hard drive space!)

Hope this helps!

20. Tallguy

Thanks Cary. It would, if I had a copy of Win98 lying around. Alas. I know that these aps used QT, but I can't find the QT files on the CD.