Star Wars The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Light, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It's amazing how the second I beat the main story campaign I immediately lost all interest in the game. I only started playing it because they were bringing back Revan... and I never played the Revan expansion! :p

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I (mostly) enjoyed the class stories, but yeah, the post game content never really held any interest for me. It amazes me that the "ability wack-a-mole" combat system persists in being popular in MMOs. Honestly, I might be more interesting in sticking around if the combat wasn't so dull.

3. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Combat used to be interesting for me, especially in PVP, it's just that any protracted period away from a character makes me forget most of his mechanics. Especially with high level chars, anytime I think I might wanna check out the new content, learning about the skill tree change seems daunting. The linearity makes it seem boring too.

Instead I've been playing a toon I'd leveled to 10 almost a year ago, so I can get a n00b's feel for the new system at lower levels. Switched to French 'cause without the additional educational component, I'd have little interest in redoing a class story. Different gender/alignment and AC choices too. Anybody liked playing Mercs?

Also, my machine seems to have more trouble running this than it used to..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^There is that. Mind you it never took me long to get back in the swing as I tend to have a fairly consistent way of laying out my abilities by function & rotation order. As for the build, honestly I just look up what the optimal build is for the latest version and more or less go with that.

In my experience there's only one or two ways one can set-up each class without borking it so that aspect of character customization never felt terribly engaging.

5. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

On the accounts page where it shows how many days of sub you have left, the hours and minutes aren't displayed, so the second you sub for any amount of time, it automatically drops to one day less, but you'll still have the '0' day where you're still subbed but it won't tell you how many hours are left.

If you haven't been playing for a while, there's a reasonable new deal active until the end of the month, where for 39.99 you get the expansions through SoR and 2400 cartel coins (in game real money currency conversion), plus two months subscription. It's not a bad deal. Sor on it's own is 20.00, the subs would be about 30.00 and another 20.00 or so for the cartel coins, so you save a bunch. Even if you already have SoR, you can save 10.00 off the coins and sub fees.

I get the most enjoyment out of building new toons and running them through the storylines, but my 8 mains (one for each storyline) grind endgame ops and PVP so I have the cash to bootstrap the new guys and get them all the cool outfits and gear right out of the gate.

And yeah, the x12 XP was just if you preordered SoR last year and only ran up until the early release. It was intended to allow people to just do the main storyline missions, ignore everything else and get to max level by the time SoR dropped...which it did, and it was awesome, except for those thousands of players who used it and didn't bother to learn anything about their classes or roles, but who now flood engame.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. Whizzer

Whizzer Commander Red Shirt

The next game update "Rise of the Emperor" is out.
    The story is time gated, so you can only get to a certain point till May 4th. Still nice to see Vitiate back in the game.

7. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I got about 5 levels today with the 12x class boost.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If anyone hasn't seen the new trailer here it is

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A[/yt]

Nice little mirroring of the sacking of the Jedi Temple in Deceived with the Power Twins busting Korriban a new one.

As a fan of the story parts of the game I'm fairly excited to see this and hope it will be good. In terms of story I was a bit meh about RotHC, thought they did better with the NuRevan stuff, so I'm hoping they continue that progression.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Hmm. XP boost for subscribers so you only need to play through the story quests, runs into this Fall... :shifty:

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

All the CGI trailers do is remind me how much I want an actual KOTOR again.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, that's the big claim with this new expansion, a "return to bioware storytelling".

It has me intrigued with the emphasis on choices mattering.