Hannibal (TV series)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by DevilEyes, May 22, 2013.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I've heard, they just don't have the rights to use Clarice Starling. Fuller has every intention of adapting Silence of the Lambs - if he can't get the rights to use Starling, he'll just create a character very similar.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard it was all the characters that were created in The Silence of the Lambs, and that's why Cynthia Nixon's character Kade Purnell was an anagram of "Paul Krendler," the character that Ray Liotta would go on to play in Hannibal.

So instead of Buffalo Bill, the bad guy will be Detroit Lion. :p

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I would not be scared of Detroit Lion. They're too clawless...

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Here's the quote:

Unrelatedly, I only just noticed that Carlo is played by the same guy who was Spunkmeyer in Aliens! He's also been in stuff like Orphan Black and the remake of Robocop but I never recognized him. It has been 28 years after all. :)

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just saw the finale...
    :eek:
    Wow, I can honestly say that this episode was unlike anything I've ever seen on network TV. From the opening split screen business (brilliant!) to the post-credits scene (what a reveal!), I was mesmerized.

I still can't wrap my head around both of the surprise cameos but I'm relieved that we get another season for some answers.

This series only had four regular characters: Could Hannibal be the only one returning next season? The other three being mortally wounded and all.

Also, now that her Crisis is over, maybe Gillian Anderson can get promoted to series regular (fingers crossed) to fill out the slim opening credit sequence.

I loved the callback to the pilot when Will phoned Hannibal and said simply, "They know."

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, that was the best season finale of the year.

Remember, pretty much the only one we saw stop moving before the end of the episode was Abigail. There's a good chance the other three will survive into next season.

7. Enterprise is Great

Awesome finale. Bryan Fuller TV Guide interview about season 2 and what's ahead for season 3.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Incredible. Ratings don't reflect it, but incredible.

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Fuller's a tease.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

My read on the section of the article I quoted below is that...

Dr. Du Maurier is Hannibal's sister, hence the change to his and her origin story from Hannibal Rising where she was killed when he was young.

Awesome finale, and surprisingly full of twists despite telegraphing the ending at the beginning of the season.

Though it was a little too dependent on the FBI (typically) and Jack and Will and Alana being completely incompetent. It's not like the FBI didn't know where Jack and Will were planning to go and couldn't cordon off the area, or couldn't have just placed them in custody when they were both at FBI HQ earlier in the day.

And it's not like Will doesn't know that Hannibal doesn't have the super-sniffer that could detect the small of Freddie Lounds on him (though the argument could be made that that's part of their depicting him as being ambiguous about whether he'll take Hannibal's side or Jack's, and maybe he was tipping Hannibal off).

And while Alana is inexperienced with firearms, I find it hard to believe she would go into a known shooting situation without checking to make sure her gun was loaded first.

We knew Jack would face Hannibal alone from the preview of the fight at the start of the season, but I doubt that he would try and face Hannibal without Will being present, even with their timetable being moved up by the FBI forcing their hand.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

12. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

13. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

One of my favorite recent shows, yet the season finale was pretty lame. Very pretty, but seriously lame. Everyone was completely incompetent, which undermines Hannibal's genius. They might as well have all put their guns in their mouths and pulled the triggers (which would still have somehow killed Alana) to save Hannibal some time.

I especially liked how the FBI knows Hannibal is a killer, and knows Jack and Will are going to either try and kill or capture him, on top of issuing warrants for their arrest, and having Alana straight up tell them Jack and Will can't be dissuaded ... and they do absolutely nothing about it beyond sending some SUVs to spook Will at his house. Really? Not even one active agent swings by to put eyes on Hannibal? No one has been tasked with tailing Jack or Will - who were just at FBI headquarters? Really?

And then Alana calls the police about shots fired in an affluent white neighborhood and 20 minutes later, we don't even hear sirens in the distance. Yeah, OK, that would happen.

There was no need to make everyone but Hannibal a complete moron here. He's been shown to be quite capable of eliminating threats, especially when it's revealed he's been fucking with everyone the whole time and always had an escape plan in place (Du Maurier) for either himself or the Will/Hannibal bromance duo.

The fact Will is the one who gets everyone turned into cold cuts was hilariously stupid, as well. "You were supposed to leave!" D'oh!

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Great episode but I didn't like how it all came together at the end. Instead of getting some evidence on Hannibal Will just convinces Jack that Hannibal is the killer. So Jack goes to Hannibal's house and both he and Hannibal know they are going to try kill each other. Jack pulled the gun on Hannibal. You could just as easily say what Hannibal did was self defense. The other parts less so but Jack went there to do what? Arrest him? Force Hannibal to try kill him by pointing a gun at him? Seriously what the f**k can Jack do that wouldn't get him arrested and Hannibal off the hook?

I do like this series a lot but sometimes it kinda jumps to the goods with no good reason to and the build up is wasted. It's needs more connectivity rather than characters basing actions on their gut feelings.

15. Enterprise is Great

I'm pretty sure that Jack was going to kill Hannibal. If he had arrested Hannibal the FBI would've had to release him. Whatsherface already told Jack what he and Will were doing is illegal and was going to arrest them both so Jack really had no choice but to kill Hannibal if he wanted to stop him.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I love the artistry and poetry and sense of style of the show, but there are times where I wonder how long the episodes would actually last if you removed all the flashbacks, hallucinations, dream sequences, gruesome corpse art, long serious stares, poetic monologuing, and oily ManDeerPig shots. It would probably be about twenty minutes of actual stuff happening.

Normally that wouldn't bother me, because it's all part of the creepy yet simultaneously refined atmosphere of the show, but in the case of the finale, I would have liked to see more time devoted to a better set up for the final confrontation than just having everyone suddenly become incompetent again to put them in Hannibal's house without backup when they all knew what was going to happen.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I absolutely love the show, but I totally agree with this.

As I was watching the finale, I was getting fed up with the dream-like imagery and all of the artful visuals. I understand the show's visual nature is a hallmark of the show, and I would never want the showrunners to homogenize the program, but in the case of the finale, I was waiting impatiently for things to happen.

I think Fuller and the writers might have shot themselves in the foot with the prologue fight sequence that began the first episode of the second season. Once I knew we would return to that in the finale, I was just bidding time waiting for the show to return to that point. Normally, I'm a big fan of the imagery, the hallucinations, the artful visual metaphors and all of that jazz, but here I wanted the show to just get to the point. As I was talking to my boyfriend about it, I don't think the episode actually got interesting until the final 20-30 minutes - everything leading up to that, while interesting, seemed to deliberately weigh down the pacing when the exact opposite should have been the case.

Regardless, I did enjoy season 2 as a whole very much. I think the Verger sub-plot was my favorite part of the season. In particular, Michael Pitt as Mason Verger stole the show and I hope we see him again soon. However, I did like Will and Hannibal's cat and mouse game - at least from a certain perspective - and how Will was constantly trying to deceive Hannibal into believing he was "his man". That made for some compelling drama and honestly I'd take that over the "killer of the week" storylines we saw in season 1 and for some of season 2. Season 3 will be interesting from what I've heard via Bryan Fuller. Taking the storylines from Hannibal (the novel) and Hannibal Rising and meshing them into one season will be interesting to say the least. Especially since Fuller said they don't intend to adapt the books in sequential order. He seemed to confirm we'd see Francis Dolarhyde next season, which makes me think the second half of Season 3 will be a loose adaptation of Red Dragon.

I'm just happy the show is actually coming back for Season 3. In a strange way, I could totally see the Season 2 finale acting as a series finale for the show. It would be immensely frustrating, but I could have seen it working. Apparently, according to Fuller, the Season 3 premiere will almost act as a pilot for a brand-new show. While that worries me a tad, it also excites me. As much as I love the show, the "formula" was getting a little old. So I'm intrigued to see how Fuller shakes things up for the next season.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The second season was better than the first. I loved it, from the artful visuals (a real highlight of the show indeed) to seeing Will Graham incarcerated, Hannibal Lecter style. Seeing him turn into a killer was quite a turn. They're really taking some liberties there, I thought. I didn't suspect it was a ruse. Then there's the ending. With a bloodbath like that, I expected Will to wake up, revealing that it was a dream. Before reading that interview posted above, my hope was that everyone would make it but now I'm guessing that either Alana or Abigail (or both) don't make it.

So, they have a 7-season plan do they? I figured on 4 or 5. I really hope they can get this Clarice Starling business cleared up. It'd be a real shame if they had to move forward without her. I'm somewhat confident that they will clear it up. And I'm even more confident that the show will run the course. It's got the support of Netflix, where I just watched the entire season in 4 days. I was surprised that they put it up so soon. This is how I'll watch it from now on.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a six season plan now. Instead of season 3 being the manhunt and season 6 being Hannibal, it sounds like Fuller will be merging the two ideas together.