X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was not a fan of First Class. I found most of the new characters incredibly dull. The main reason I was kind of excited for DOFP was that they were bringing back some of the original X-Men. News that they are continuing to cut those roles from the movie only makes me want to see it less and less.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The original cast will still be there.

The article doesn't outright say Storm has been cut entirely from the movie... just that her screen-time has been reduced. The only character that has been confirmed to have been cut from the movie is Rogue.

However, from what I've been hearing this will be the original cast's swansong. According to speculation and rumors, the next X-Men movie - X-Men: Apocalypse - will mainly feature the First Class cast.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And that bums me out. I grew up on the 90s FOX cartoon, so to me, the X-Men is Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, etc. I was willing to give the new characters a chance with "First Class," but I left that movie incredibly disappointed.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Cyclops and Jean were never going to be in this movie, though. Wolverine is, at least.

5. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

The X-Men has just a massive history that really can't be condensed with statements like "The X-Men Is." To me, the X-Men is about the duality and juxtapositions between Professor Xavier and Magneto's ideals. Therefore First Class was perfect to me.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Details on X-MEN APOCALYPSE from Bryan Singer. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66552

I love that its taking place in the 80s! Plus seeing younger versions of the main characters. Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Storm most likely.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

They're getting to the tail-end of the disco era, but I still want to see Dazzler in full stage regalia!

[​IMG]

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Isn't this old news? I'm pretty certain that they said when they were filming that because of Berry's pregnancy, a lot of Storm's scenes would have to be cut back.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping they had got around that in the reshoots.

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm ok if they decide to re-cast after the third one but I am rather anti-reboot. There are a lot of good X-stories out there that can be told without a reboot.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think people are too invested in the original cast. I thought the inclusion of them was overly ambitious anyway because this movie is still supposed to be the First Class cast and I always assumed they'd have cameo death scenes. So rumors like "Storm's role cut down to one scene" gives me the reaction of "oh, she gets a whole scene?" If her role is greater, more power to her. I hope it's fun. But I'm treating every inclusion of a character from the original movies as a plus rather than being disappointed if the role isn't particularly large.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I assumed X-MEN: Days Of Future Past would be X-Men's Avengers, where both casts get equal airtime. Something like starting in the future, going to the past, and back and forth seeing shifts in reality.

14. Alidar Jarok

Even Avengers had about one character from each franchise, not all of them, though. Given the source material, I expected a montage scene where people get killed by Sentinels. After all, mutants being killed is kind of the big thing.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

We still see a few heroes left in the future. Maybe Storm was intended to be one of them.

16. Alidar Jarok

She may be. But there are people who attribute ulterior motives when a character is not one of those. I'm referring to those who thought the cutting of Rogue's scenes had to do with a personal animosity towards her by the director, for example.

Storm may have a decent role or she might not and the likely explanation is just "needing to fit in other people" and "pacing."

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I've been tuning in and out of this thread but people believe the director cut her out of spite?

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More likely they want to milk the cow twice. A crisper, faster paced movie for the casual view and an extended version for the nerds. They've probably just added 25% to their DVD sales.

19. Alidar Jarok

Link

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^and the basis for that wild speculation being what exactly....?

As for the original cast, I was always under the impression that the original cast will just be there for the prologue framing device. I only know the DoFP story from the 90's animated series, but I gather the story was never about the future so much as someone come back from that future trying to make sure it never happens, hence most of the action takes place in the "present".

Aside from Jackman, I imagine none of the original cast were ever going to have more than a scene or two.