concept art and set photos!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, May 17, 2013.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I can see from these better pics that Flattery also developed the neck that features in the Church design, aside from the curved pylons and round nacelles.

No, not really. As I said, the ship just looks like the TMP Constitution with different nacelles. A ship design from 1979. I'd expect something a little newer than something from 35 years ago.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the longer tapering end of the engineering hull.

Nice find, publiusr! Looking back at Star Trek: The Art of the Film, I found some line drawings showing initial changes made to Flattery's Probert-based Enterprise, on the road to the version we saw. Click!

3. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I would think both.

4. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know this is completely is besides the point, so I hope you'll forgive me for temporarily hijacking the thread, but just gotta say this is one of my favorite shots/angles of the new Enterprise. I wish a shot similar to this would have been the very first picture of the JJ Prise we got rather than the infamous publicity photo Paramount put out at first. This one makes it look lot more "graceful" IMHO.

5. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Some better angles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that, in motion, the hatches on the top of the saucer slide closed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely bulk-supply conduits, all four of them, then.

I remember the Franz Joseph version of the deck plans allowing for storage of liquids in the saucer...

7. Marion85

Marion85 Ensign Newbie

Those might not be supply umbilicals, rather just power hookups and mooring clamps while the enterprise is in dock, so it doesn't have continue use it's reactor while in space dock. The Enterprise may just from the looks of it, resupply exclusively through the shuttle bay. When you see Kirk, as he boards the ship, you see cargo being moved, as well as the new torpedoes, all through the bay.

8. F. King Daniel

Some more user interface goodness...

http://www.rudyvessup.com/work/star-trek-into-darkness-med-bay-ui/
    It would appear Kirk is still a little bit radioactive when he wakes up on Earth.

http://saffron-ember.com/star-trek-ui-vfx/
    Here are some good shots from that "powerwall" video a few pages back, also graphics detailing damage to the Enterprise and Vengeance (note the "OMG" callouts), and the graphic which comes up when Sulu sends his message to John Harrison. The latter confirms that the destroyed moon seen is Praxis, and says that Qo'nos is located in the "Omega Leonis sector block", a reference to Star Trek Online.

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice find! But I believe the "OMG" callouts (:lol:) actually say "DMG", which is a common abbreviation for "DAMAGE".

10. F. King Daniel

Oh yeah, that would make a lot more sense!:rommie:

11. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Just out of curiosity, has anyone done any work on an unofficial set of blueprints and/or deck plans for the 2009 Enterprise? I'm curious what kind of ideas are out there.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

You'd probably have to do them as a distorted pop-up book, so the elements expanded & contracted as if on a bellows, in order to accommodate the sizing/resizing/unsizing/supersizing.

13. F. King Daniel

^Every hero ship in Trek is rife with similar issues (although none with this level of ship size fan butthurt), any schematics would simply gloss them over, as all the previous ones have done.
    I've seen one based on the 2009 movie, although it doesn't take into account stuff from Into Darkness, like the deck heights established in released set plans, and the turbolift plaza down the core of the saucer. I'm working on a cutaway myself which does.
    There are also set plans in the Starship Size Argumentâ„¢ and concept art threads, one of which I rearranged into a very crude partial plan of deck 2. And floor plans of the NIF facility (the Enterprise warp core and Vengeance engineering corridors) are available with a little Googling.

14. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I think there were issues with inconsistent sizing in ST'09, but they seemed pretty much worked out by STID.

15. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Without sparking the old debate, I think the 2009 movie was pretty consistent in size but, unfortunately, lacked much context to assess the scale. Except for the shuttle craft and the one (admittedly fudged) bridge window shot, I can't think of much would have given us much context.

In Into Darkness, the Enterprise is clearly in the 700m range with plenty of references.

16. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Was there an "Art of" book, or something similar?

17. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Unfortunately, no. I'm gonna try to collect all the concept art I can get my hands on and put it all together in a collection. Would anyone be willing to shoot me any links in that vein?

18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I concur, but I though I'd recalled reading that there was a scene where the model was scaled closer to 1200m (maybe that initial flyover with the shuttlecraft) and one where it was more like 400m (where it needed to be shrunk to fit the construction site location).

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Like warp speed and distance between planets, the size of any given ship in Trek (indeed most sci-fi movies) is beholden to the needs of the plot of the cinematography.

The refit Enterprise, or rather the Refit 1701 and then the 1701-A are good examples of this: We go from a refitted 1701 which had a huge shuttle bay, to the 1701-A (supposedly identical class and dimensions) have a bay smaller than the TOS Enterprise. 1701-A goes from a TOSish/TMP size bridge, to a big wide bridge that looked to fit better on a Excelsior--which itself seemed to get scaled down, at least internally.

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

There was an ART OF for the 09, came out a ways after the movie, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing relevant.