Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So do you think the red skull will return in this film?

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Sister/niece, depending on when in the comics (probably grandniece in the movie).

The family relation is one thing; having her literally be the same actress is a whole different level.

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yes, it says that Bucky is still alive, he's been trained by the Soviets and that he might even replace Captain America in the movie for a while.

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Star Trek fans, I think we just assume all relatives of characters should be played by the same actor. ;)

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OR they could watch the movie and be surprised when the Winter Soldier isn't Cap and is in fact revealed to be someone they thought long dead?

But y'know, Captain America Meets The Winter Soldier And Is Surprised To Find That's It's Bucky (His Mate From The First Film Who Fell From A Train) And Then They Have A Fight Because He Has Been Brain-Washed But It All Turns Out Okay In The End could be the way to go if we're pandering to the 'uninitiated'.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it could be Captain America, Episode 2: "The Winter Soldier", wouldn't that square the circle?

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

If they're going with General Lukin as the man behind Winter Soldier like it was in the comics (the animated series had Bucky working for a newly-returned Red Skull, which would also work in the movie if they felt like it), I nominate Pierce Brosnan for that role.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I agree she was awesome, maybe she can come back in a flashback or as an old age Peggy in the modern like there was talk of doing in the Avengers movie.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking it's highly possible.
    I don't think he'll be the main focus though. I envision his return as an ending sequence or one that causes him to be weakened upon his return, thus out of play as an immediate threat.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It's true that it may be a rather spoilery sub-title to those who are familiar with the comics, but I can kind of understand it. The truth of the matter is, in this day and age, with IMDB listings, studio leaks and eyewitness reports, it would be too hard to keep something like Sebastian Stan's return for the sequel a secret anyway. Fans would immediately guess that they were doing the "Winter Soldier" anyway, so they might as well roll with it and create as much early buzz as they can.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, as someone who is NOT familiar with the comics, the conversation in this thread has already spoiled me more than I would have liked. Boo.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Aaa, spoilers! We Americans are still only halfway through the current season of Avengers: EMH. We only just saw "Secret Invasion" today. So please be more cautious in the future when discussing the second half of the season. (Although I'd actually already guessed that the guy WS was answering to in the first Red Hulk episode was probably the Skull...)

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Think of it as a chance in the next two years to pick up the Winter Soldier storyline by Brubaker. Maybe in the reading it will build some anticipation for you. Not to different than reading a book before release. I know I've done that as recently as Hunger Games.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I always have that intention, and then I never get around to reading whatever it is. I'm sure I'll survive.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Something that would be really cool on a fanboy level (but less so if your name is Chris Evans), would be to end this movie with Cap's "assassination" by the Red Skull, thus setting up the "The Death of Captain America/Reborn" storyline for Cap 3 -- but do Avengers 2 inbetween them using Bucky/Cap.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That title feels too much like ripping off Star Wars. :p ;)

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heh.

That's why I went Arabic on the numeral. ;)

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, Star Wars's use of "episode" numbers was just imitating the Saturday matinee serials of the '40s anyway. And there actually was a Captain America serial from Republic in 1944, although it had virtually nothing in common with the comic beyond the name and costume. So one could argue that Cap has a prior claim to the format.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Google tells me that Brubaker insists that the Winter Solder did not kill Kennedy.

Wouldn't that be a chilling way to begin the movie though?

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ No. "[x] really killed Kennedy" has become a grating cliche, with, Zeus willing, the Watchmen movie finishing it off. Heck, The Onion commented on the banality years ago:

[​IMG]