Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Noddy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

She's not a casualty. She's "listed as missing".

And she did return in the first post-TMP comic strip by the LA Times Syndicate.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That explains why Khan is the most dangerous villain to fans, but there are no main characters from Spock's point of view. In universe Spock is no more important than Red Shirt #554.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She's dead, I watched it happen! I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!!!!! /Nero

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Red Shirt #554 hadn't survived a tenth of the crazy shit Spock dealt with every week, nor saved the whole galaxy from a giant space amoeba.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, perhaps Red shirt # 554 is no more important to Spock then himself, but, definitely the other main characters are more important to him than Red Shirt #554 (Especially Kirk)

6. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Funny that no one's mentioned Kevin Reilly as the most dangerous enemy to the original Enterprise crew.

7. Nerys Myk

His singing is a crime against all sentient beings.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

He also had that dark mirror or Kirk thing going on.

Not to mention i doubt Prime Kirk would care that much about some dude him met for all of 5 mins. Thats like saying the villain of a star trek movie should be some guy Kirk bumped into in a hallway during a TOS episode, not exactly hype worthy.

Yeah I'll believe destroying the Enterprise-D is a worthy accomplishment when you give me evidence it isn't ridiculously easy to do. Remember this is a ship that lost to Ferengi in Klingon Birds of Prey and just needed a ding on the nacelle to explode.

Seriously every time I think of the differences between 24th and 23rd century starships I think back to Back to the Future Part 2 and Doc. Brown and Marty's discussion about how ramming a 1950s car with a 1980s car will trash the 1980s car without doing much to the 1950s car.

9. Kelthaz

It worked for Iron Man 3.

10. Hartzilla2007

The movie Into Darkness is apparently killing in Blu-ray releases?

11. Kelthaz

The movie that made over a billion in the box office and nearly triple the gross of Into Darkness?

12. Hartzilla2007

Didn't Iron Man 3 tease a bigger Iron Man enemy being in the film, and a theory that people have come up with is that this was just a considerably reimaging of said enemy?

13. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

The movie that had a very faithful interpretation of one of the most popular incarnations of that enemy and a nod to older incarnations by adding another character which is consistent with the popular incarnation.

14. Corwwyn

Corwwyn Vice Admiral Admiral

I think It would have been outstanding.

:drool:

15. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I was not that big of a fan of bringing back TWOK's Khan (and missing the opportunity to make him more interesting than Space Seed's Khan at that) and I am not quite happy how they painted him as the most dangerous adversary ever faced for tension's sake. That one was just silly. But...

Spock Prime was aware that for nuSpock to call him, he was in a lot of trouble and uncertainty, and that Khan's intelligence, resolve and ruthlessness made up a special concoction of danger that required due attention by the crew, and he exaggerated both to excuse himself for breaking his vow and to signal the crew not to trust Khan – after all, a man who is barely stronger than Spock doesn't exactly scream danger like a energy field spanning half the solar system does. You need to emphasize it.

I dislike this as an explanation (I like to think of Spock of someone more meticulous than that), but when I watch the film, this is essentially what I feel is unspoken when the exchange happens.

16. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Just another example of the childish and over simplistic writing prevalent in the JJ movies.

'Cold' fusion?

17. Hartzilla2007

Not really considering that the only reason he didn't kill everyone in Space Seed right then and there was because he needed them to run the ship, and then in Wrath of Khan had the Enterprise crippled and was just about to finish her off when he stopped to gloat and try to get info on Genesis.

Really I don't recall that many TOS/TOS film enemies that ever got that close to killing them all once let alone TWICE.

18. Nerys Myk

What does this have to do with Khan being the most dangerous enemy? Is there a particular post this is a response to?

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The whole Khan thing is somehow breaking the 4th wall for me. Khan is only in this film because somehow the writers think that "the franchise demands it". And that awful reveal with "My name is... Khan." (like he expected Kirk and Spock to have watched Space Seed and TWOK), and then that awful "KHHAAAAN!" scream that simply would not be there had TWOK never been made...

Similar Kirk's promotion from Cadet to Captain in the first film. The only reason for that was out-universe, because the writers thought the "franchise demanded" that the film ends with Kirk being Captain.

It's that market research style of writing that I really don't like.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Skipping the bit about Kirk's promotion: A some point it stops being beating a dead horse and becomes necrophilia

Agree--a little--on Quinto's version of the scream. Not cause it's there, but because it felt restained and he didn't sell it.

As for "My name is Khan" - He probably assumed everyone knew who he was. He's Khan, he's walking, talking, ego. Ego demands that the mere mention of his name would still carry weight centuries after his disappearance.