Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a split in the franchise somewhere?

The last animated movies point to a "Next Generation" for the ship, but obviously those plans were shelved with the remake...

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IIRC, the movie franchise wound up concluding the story of the original Yamato franchise, so that was all tapped out before they decided to reboot the franchise.

What's really funny is that the Yamato uniforms kinda look lamer than the ones everyone wore before they got on the ship. But I am so thankful they have more than three uniform colors and crew divisions. I wish Star Trek could take a page out of Yamato's book there.

I think the soft focus might have been due to the digital tape masters those shows used for broadcast/DVD releases, as seen with the TNG and some anime remasters (including Cowboy Bebop). Low quality tape usually makes everything look like shit.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

They did when they used the TWOK uniforms.

4. firehawk12

I don't know if it's a spoiler, but it's fair to say that the last movie essentially gets rid of the old crew and introduces an entirely new cast and sets up a new villain anyway. But I figure that's probably not going anywhere since people seem to be buying this at a decent rate.

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

From my understanding there were three projects setup in the late 00s. A Sequel movie trilogy. A live action movie, and a remake of the original series.

Supposedly the remake was suppose to air first, but it got technical and more detailed than whoever though the idea up originally thought. The sequel film (Yamato Resurrection) came out first in 2009 (It had been in development hell since the early 90s). This film takes place about 17 years after "Final Yamato" and has mostly a new crew. There is reportedly a "Part Two" in production.

Then the Live Action movie came out in 2010. No suggestion of a sequel to that was ever announced, nor does one seem likely.

Then in 2012 and 2013, the remake of the first series comes out. Yamato 2199 is doing fairly well so far.

And yes they will visit the Bee Planet again in Chapter 5, but the story is going to be a whole lot different. Something about ancient civilizations and subspace portals or warp gates from the tiny paragraph on the episodes.

6. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ithekro, whatever happened to that live action movie? I've never seen anything about it being released on disc here in the US, though I've read there's copies available in other countries...?

:vulcan:

7. firehawk12

Assuming its not a rights issue, I wonder if anyone is even interested in releasing it here?

Seems like if it's not Martial Arts or by a well known Asian director, no one touches Asian films.

8. Ithekro

Best guess is no American company was interested enough. Or maybe there was some other issue, but most of it was probably money rather than legal issues with rights holders since that doesn't seem to be an issue even if there is talk of a Star Blazers live action film from time to time.

I know that there are English subtitles from Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.

Reportedly the main actor's contract did say something about his voice not being dubbed over, but I guess the Spanish and Germans don't care about that. Perhaps it is an English only thing.

I know the Japanese BD will work on an American BD player, but doesn't have English subtitles for the live action movie.

9. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well there's always the unscrupulous method to locate it too. It is floating around out there, English subbed.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

A passable all-regions version of the DVD from Sarawak Media Corp. was being sold by an outfit called "LOTO-SURPLUS" on Amazon.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can buy a region-free Blu-Ray straight from Japan. Problem is; no english subtitles on it. :(

[If they offered a version of the 2010 Yamato Live Action film with English subs; I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat - I found a fully english subbed version on Youtube - but only stabdard Def video quality - which I managed to watch before they had it removed.)

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Found one myself on eBay back in 2011. They're out there, and the translation is quite good. Not a single "all your base" moment in the entire film.

13. Ithekro

Well Chapter 4 was released in theater starting about five days ago. They were selling limited edition Bluerays of the chapter in the twelve theaters it was showing in. They have sold out entirely already.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The Region A Blu-ray's advertised as having English subtitles, though.

15. firehawk12

Yeah, they have English subs.

16. Ithekro

I have not seen a Region A version BD of the Live Action film Space Batleship Yamato that had english subtitles (I've seen fansub versions on DVD though).

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 does come with english subtitles on the BD nomally (I cannot confirm if they are Region A or Region Free BD since they do not have any indication marking on them as to what BD region it is coded for. All I know is that it works on Region A BD players).

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ eBay is your friend.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The CD Japan listing for all the Yamato 2199 Blu-Rays to date (and they are the actual BDs produced for sale in Japan as I've gotten 'first print' items included with them because I pre-order so early) state the are in fact 'Region Free'.

19. Ithekro

Interesting. That means Englsih speakers in Austrialia and the UK (or anywhere for that matter) could purchase Yamato 2199 and play it with the subtitles.

In a story note: It has been suggested that the humans started the war with the Gamilas by firing first under orders (an order Okita did not obey, but someone else did). Though I do wonder about Gamilas intentions when entering a solar system with multiple warships in a first contact situation.

20. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sometimes your hated nemesis if you're looking for a legit non-bootlegged copy of an anime though. :scream: