Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's not completely out of left field. After all, in one of the alternate realities John travels to, Sikozu is revealed to be a Scarran spy.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

True. The only thing about PKW that makes it seem strange is that we don't see what happened in between to bring her to that point.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That's what happens when your show doesn't get its promised fifth and final season.

No bitterness here or anything. :p

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Didn't like Granny, but I thought Jool was fine.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing like Farscape to end 2009 on a good note (I don't go out which I think is a good thing). Watched From Scratch 'N Sniff (Season 3's official weird and out there episode) to Infinite Possibilities II. Man it was sad seeing Aeryn lose John, but I kind of wish in retrospect, she gave Moya John a bit more of a chance. I think from now to when she get's kidnapped in season 4, it's a bit of a downturn for her. I know it builds more drama, but it really does feel like a reset more than anything else. Moya John wasn't even there when the relationship was building. Aeryn just pushed and pushed away.

6. tomalak301

Watched the next three episodes. Ravenging Angel is extremely funny and innovative, and I forgot how great The Choice was. I think my only thought was how easy it was to try and give Xhalax redemption, but to get another episode with her and how it affects Aeryn was very nice.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I started my rewatch with the pilot episode tonight. I forgot how good this show was. It grabbed my attention right away in 1999, and again on the DVD tonight.

Looking forward to more over the next four months or so.

8. tomalak301

Finished season 3 and started season 4 last night. Into the Lions Den/Dog with Two Bones was an amazing way to end the season. I'm really looking forward to this Season 4 revisiting to see if I like it better than I did before or not. Also, I am completely drawing a blank on A Prefect Murder so that's an episode I'm looking forward to as well.

9. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I thought the two parter and Dog with Two Bones was fabulous.

People don't like Two Bones so much but I thought it was a fantastic way to end the season.

I remember being completely won over by the two-parter and Dog with Two Bones.

Fact: While I had watched one or two episodes previously of Farscape, I picked up in s3 during Fractures and became a total fan by the end of the two-parter. Dog with Two Bones only confirmed that this was a great series. Watched most of the earlier seasons on re-runs on Sci-Fi.

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Slow first time watcher here, checking in. I've watched through Durka returns, and have gotten sucked back in like I was back at the beginning of the season. I feel it kind of meandered a bit in the middle of the season but has started to regain it's focus.

I did a double-take when the new race revealed themselves as the Nebari. I thought they said Membari for a second. :lol:

11. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Edit - Thanks to Kegg's post below, I am putting the content in spoiler quotes.
    Actually the Nebaris got the raw end of the deal, I think.
    Their story wasn't covered - I thought that it was going to be a three-way-brawl between the Scarrens, PeaceKeepers and the Nebari but that never materialized.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    First time watcher, remember? Hush. ;)

"Durka Returns" is a major turning point, anyway, for me, for a reason LitmusDragon may quickly deduce or guess. Things just get better from here. :)

13. tomalak301

I have a grammatical question to ask that is kinda not related to Durka Returns but kinda is. Why do people put an R at the end of words that end in A or L. What I mean, and why it's somewhat related is because Dargo always referred to Durka as "Durker" and it's something a lot of people do. Never really understood why that is.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's an accent thing. The actor who plays D'Argo is actually Australian, so he probably just slipped up.

15. Kegg

It's not grammatical, it's just a pronunciation thing, common to British and (I think) Australian accents.

16. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This leads me into one of those ridiculously nitpicky questions that has no possible answer within the series.

Everyone communicates via translation microbes, right? Only native words that don't have a direct translation - like names - would come through as they are. Those words would have to be learned through simple repetition and mimicry.

So why, if Crichton introduced himself as John, with an American accent (JAAN), does Aeryn pronounce his name with an Australian accent (JONN)? She should pronounce it as he pronounces it.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've noticed how often Aeryn and some of the other characters call the ship 'Moyer'.

And while I'm posting in this thread, I have to say that I found the second season so far much like the first, rather hit-and-miss, but I just finished the "Princess" trilogy and really enjoyed those.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. Kegg

She probably does say 'Jaan', but the translator microbes filter her word usage through the Australian accent they've decided will be used for most aliens John encounters, so it becomes 'John.'

Trent - Any thoughts on S1's end-of-season arc?

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They probably do that when the very next word they say starts with a vowel, so they have to add an 'r' onto Moya's name. AFAIK, most Americans don't talk like that.

20. tomalak301

I've heard quite a few though.