Most Attractive Male

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Sam_I_Am, Sep 8, 2013.

?

Most attractive TOS male?

1. James Kirk

25 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Spock

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Leonard McCoy

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Kevin Riley

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Montgomery Scott

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Hikaru Sulu

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  7. Pavel Chekov

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Well, I think it's also possible that people sometimes merge TOS Shatner with older Shatner, since older Shatner was heavier.

On the topic of shirtlessness, I think sulu was all right, too.

Can't recall seeing McCoy topless.

Semi-off topic: I just watched Kid Monk Baroni with the audio commentary, and the movie is worth it just for the scenes where Nimoy's character stands around shirtless, looking in the mirror and checking himself out. :lol:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I watch TOS I'm always struck by how unbuff they all are, especially Nimoy, in comparison to what is considered standard today.

3. nureintier

This. Nimoy really has no muscle tone,he has arms like Gumby. Shatner at least has some arm muscles but nothing like you would see in a main character who takes his shirt off a lot on TV today (and a higher body fat, though I'm by no means calling him fat in TOS), yeah. I watched ST: TMP the other night and wondered at the choice of them putting Spock in that sleeveless white thing. (Not that I don't find him attractive, it's just that on TV and in movies today all the women are stick thin and all the men have huge muscles much of the time.)

(Off topic: That's also why I was amused while watching "Kid Monk Baroni," though: if I was casting an actor to play an athlete, Nimoy would be my last choice.)

Sulu looks ok without a shirt, but he's so skinny.

4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Oh yes. The standards of beauty are ridiculous today. I was talking about this with my niece earlier, about how 50ish years ago Marilyn Monroe was the ideal, and now it's Paris Hilton. It's similar, if not quite as extreme with guys. They either have to be ripped with a six pack or slim boyish types to be thought of as attractive. I think Kirk is very attractive in TOS, but he'd never cut it as a lead looking like that today.
    Sulu was very fit, and I like him, I'm just not attracted to him.

5. nureintier

But yeah, if TOS had been cast according to today's standards of beauty, Kirk would have a ten-pack and 2% body fat, and would be shaped very differently. And anyone who looked like Spock would never have taken his shirt off or worn anything sleeveless, at least.

It's weird but it's almost shocking to me when I watch TOS and most of the men have very normal, average-looking bodies. And I mean that in a positive way, because I don't really find super-ripped underwear-model types attractive. (Should be obvious since I have been talking about my huge crush on Nimoy for several pages now, lol).

Same.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. borgboy

It is shocking to see "normal" bodies. You get some of that in modern Brit tv as well. It's shocking still to see such diversity of body types, and the way that people react to them. You can have a woman with a little extra weight on her on Brit tv, and she's still treated like a sexual being.
    I get bored with modern media's over worked bodies. It depends on the guy, don't get me wrong, some guys can be hot and super fit, but some look so generic and plastic I get bored. A guy can be sexy with charisma without a six pack.

7. teacake

Totally agree with everything said. I like the fattish look in guys myself.. think Volker in season 2 SG:U.

It's weird to always notice how Nimoy seems scrawny in TOS when he's a perfectly normal looking man.

[​IMG]

I've noticed that about Brit tv too, sadly cannot say the same about Aus tv (though no one actually watches this :lol: )

8. borgboy

Spock does look more filled out there than he normally does to me too. Maybe he looks thinner in clothes?

9. teacake

He is straining VERY hard to get that bulb out of the socket!

He's flexed.

10. nureintier

Yeah, I think he's flexing there. It's just hard to tell because he doesn't have any visible muscle definition.

Well, I like the look of people with a fairly normal body fat percentage, which is why I mention not finding underwear models with 0% body fat attractive (or many people on tv or in movies these days).

I think Nimoy looks scrawny next to Shatner because of Shatner's very different body type with the broader shoulders and because Nimoy's a few inches taller.

11. teacake

He's also gangly which I think contributes to how darn skinny his arms look in uniform. But everyone of that era is the same.

And yeah, Shatner is a chunkier build, doesn't have that gangly element.

12. nureintier

Yeah, it must be the gangliness.

13. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Spock gets my vote.

14. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Who's the other person who joined me in voting Sulu?

15. borgboy

Pike is pretty hot too. I'm considering pushing him as the most attractive if he's considered eligable for TOS choices.
    He's about as bad a choice for relationships as Kirk though, as he seems really emotionally unavailable. It took being completely disabled to get him to settle down. It's clear that every woman he knows is in love with him from what we see though.
    I was reading the IDW omnibus of the Star Trek:Early Years comic last night, which is pretty good. It had a scene with shirtless hunky Pike getting a medical exam and his yeoman walked in on it and was so turned on she could barely speak coherently lol