Refit modifications to JJ Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by macfesto, May 17, 2013.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Saw the sequel comic yesterday. Don't know if this counts, but one of the other changes we didn't get to see is that the neck Photon Torpedo launcher has now been pulled back into the neck area. So it now it looks a bit more like the Enterprise D rather than the launcher just sticking out of the neck. I like this change because I like a more streamlined neck.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Do you have pictures of that ? :)

3. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The art in the comic may not be entirely accurate though, as previous mistakes in issues have shown (both the Enterprise A and someone has said the D).

im hoping sometime soon some official high resolution renders of the modified model are released.

4. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I second this question as well!

cbspock - I'm interested to see which model you're referring to, when you say that you've seen an image of a model kit online - showing the refitted Enterprise?

Can you provide any pics / links to the images?

Waiting in anticipation as well!!!!

PS: it's been 2 years (ish) so happy to wait a wee bit longer, but don't keep us hanging... :drool:

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I prefer the original impulse engines, just because they look more like the original if nothing else. Not a fan of the new ones - plus isn't the point of the old design it being central so it doesn't 'affect' the pylons, the new one looks like it doesn't adhere to that thinking. That being said I do like the JJprise, just not as much as the TMP one.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't the new impulse unit more or less like the ones on the older starships? USS Kelvin-based?

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The new impulse design looks like amateur shit. Hopefully it was an art design improvisation that they'll rethink this time around.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

9. Smellmet

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I still like it as it is. :D

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    +1 as well. I don't mind the modifications/redesign (though after too movies, it's too soon) but I think the new impulse deck is too wide. If you look closely, the structure beneath it isn't even wide enough to accomodate it.

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does look quite a lot like that...

Did Starfleet decide it couldn't afford to install another of those modern, powerful engines on the damaged ship, and instead bolted on a piece of older technology?

Or was the Enterprise originally provided with an inferior impulse engine because Starfleet didn't expect that a flagship would need much impulse maneuverability - but now came to think differently and installed standard military-grade power after all?

Timo Saloniemi

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm really not a fan of her new monobrow, someone really needs to rethink that.

It's odd as with the nacelles, they removed the motorised segments and added rear facing L cut outs to streamline the fins and speed up the warp effect.

Yet even with a nicer looking material over the impulse grille, they knocked them through into one, which just doesn't look right or making much sense.

Meh, she left from Earth, she'll be passing a lot of Starfleet facilities on the way out into the great unknown, they can finish her refit on the way.

14. Smellmet

Yeah it's not like they need to make a new model or anything, I'm sure it could be easily changed if needed.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The benefits of a CGI model over a physical one, a few hours re-rendering a few places and they're good to go.

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also prefer the Trek 09 Enterprise impulse drive configuration, over that of the 'refit'.

Having said that, I'm still intrigued to see what else is different on the refit version.

Along with the lengthened impulse drive, was also wondering if Nacelle pylons sit at a lower angle, having the gap between them increased, to accommodate the drive.

cbspock - Still hanging out to see those model images you saw...

:drool:

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although I think the new impulse drive looks a bit clunky, I think it will look really good on the saucer when she ship separates - which I'm sure they'll do in ST3 (just because)

18. Smellmet

Yeah I think we're due a starship separation sequence. It'll have been 22 years since we last saw that on the big screen by the time ST3 comes out. It's good trailer fodder too. Bring it on.