Phase II Enterprise Study Model

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

2. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Once again, Shaw delivers. Thank you!

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow.

Shaw, while I allow for the possibility that you've misinterpreted some discussions or missed a detail here and there, your argument is compelling. Once again, you've demonstrated meticulous attention to minutia and arrived at a perfectly logical deduction.

That's ... devastating. I used to have a big line-printer graphic of Spock holding that Enterprise. It's infuriating to think that such an artifact simply got tossed with the trash.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I kept thinking Rod Roddenberry had it somewhere.

5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Wasn't there some apocryphal story that the threw it in the swimming pool?

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

So I made molds of the nacelle master and cast up the nacelles for the model. Even given the rough state of the parts out of the molds, it didn't take very long to get the nacelles looking nearly as nice as the master.

So here is a handful of shots of the model as it has appeared in various test assemblies since making the nacelles...

I'm still hoping to get a good block of time to do some real work on this model (rather than putting five to fifteen minutes into it every few days).

7. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Man, that is looking phenomenal... A ship I've always wanted in my collection.

8. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope this doesn't irritate, because I look for this on every star trek model i ever had, and I actually noticed this from the excelsior view screen in star trek VI. There's a slight sag to your nacelles. Or appears to be. But anyways, that model is coming along great. Can't wait to see it finished.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The "sag" is an optical illusion.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Excellent work as always, Shaw. I admit I've been been really fond of this version, but here you're making it work.

11. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Thanks guys!

No worries… it is actually something that I look for too.

In the case of this model, it is hard to get the parts to align perfectly without making something special for the primary hull to rest on. So yeah, it throws the alignment off a little.

But that was why I built the alignment rigging for it, so when I do finally start attaching these parts together everything will be where it is supposed to be.

This is a shot of the model about a month ago just after I finished building the rigging box for it…

[​IMG]

Currently, even with the primary hull, dorsal and secondary hull together as a single piece, there are a lot of pieces not yet in place.

Here is a shot of the models parts (including the masters and molds I made) as they stand currently…

[​IMG]

I mean, it is cool to see it in test assemblies because it shows that it is starting to come together… but the reality is that it is still quite a ways from being finished.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I've never been a big fan of this version of the ship, but I must say you have done an amazingly good job at capturing the nuances of the design. Well done Shaw! :techman:

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

14. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work, Shaw! You are doing a fantastic job. I am looking forward to the final product. Are you going to do some line drawings of this ship once it is completed? Once again, great work. :techman::techman:

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Lovely job!

16. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Thanks again guys!

Yes... I'm planning on two sets of plans, a version based on Jefferies' intended design (which is essentially what I'm basing this model on) and a version showing how the Price/Loos studio model would have turned out when completed. Originally I was going to do a single set, but while doing the research I started noticing some interesting differences between the design and how the studio model was being built, and I wanted to make sure that those elements (overlooked by Price/Loos in the rush to build the model and the scarcity of Jefferies for consulting during that period) were pointed out. A lot of these elements were intended to answer some of the criticisms of the TOS design.

Right now the main hold up is that I need to write up the history part of the plans and then get them approved. I've been fortunate to get a lot of inside information on Phase II, but some of it needs to stay off the record. I just want to make sure that what I'm going to share is what is okay to share at this point.

17. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

So I've been making some good progress on this model. I added in the upper channels on the nacelles...

[​IMG]

And finally finished making molds of the front of the nacelles and casting clear replacement parts...

[​IMG]

I then cut the original nacelle fronts off and trimmed down the new parts. this is the first test fitting...

[​IMG]

I had extra resin when I made the new nacelle fronts so I used it in the molds for my TOS Enterprise nacelle domes. The dome in the shot above has been polished and hit with a gloss clear coat, and should give a good example of how the finish on the new parts will be when I'm done.

I decided I wanted to see what the model looked like together with the new nacelle fronts, so I did a quick test assembly...

[​IMG]

And I thought you guys might find this interesting. These shots include parts of my TOS (11 foot) Enterprise study model in them (this model is intended to help me finish my plans of the 11 foot model). The thing is, both models are at 1/500 scale. Part of the reason for building both at this scale was to be able to do side-by-side comparisons (and both models should be just under 23 inches when finished).

[​IMG]

I started in on cutting out the additional nacelle details. In the shots below I have some of the grill elements set in place (but not glued)...

[​IMG]

And at some point you have to let the model stand on it's own. After all, I can't be standing by to hold it up all the time, it'll have to deal with gravity on it's own if it is ever to be finished.

So here it is, held together with some tape (missing the nacelle support carriages at this point), but aligned pretty much on fit alone.

[​IMG]

This is way better than I thought it would do at this point.

18. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Wow! I haven't visited this thread in a bit. Awesome updates to come across! I'm very much enjoying seeing this version of the Enterprise being fleshed out...and by very skilled hands. Beautiful work! Looking forward to each of your updates.

19. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm so happy that you are doing a professionally made model of this missing version of the Enterprise. I've never seen a render or photo that seemed to do it justice but your work so far is brilliant. I'm anxiously awaiting whatever progress you continue to make.

Pierre

20. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

This looks amazing! Fantastic job you're doing! This is the Enterprise I've wanted to see in model form ever since I saw the artwork in books and places like Starlog Magazine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.