Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Isn't this going to be eight books in a row where the borg play some part?

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No because Q&A was primarily about Q and such. The Borg only get a few mentions.

3. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keeping in mind that we don't know if these blurbs are legit, or to what extent Greater than the Sum will involve the Borg, it'll make six: Resistance, Before Dishonor, GTTS and now Destiny (unless you're thinking of other books I'm missing?). I guess we can start calling this the 'Borg Arc'... and looking forward to moving on to less overexposed subjects.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

4. JoeZhang

No - I just cannot count.

5. danjamesb

danjamesb Commander Red Shirt

Obviously not legendary enough for her name to be spelt correctly . . .

6. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Emh, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Borg and fatigue, but as David said in his first post of the thread, if it was "just more Borg" he wouldn't have spent a year of his life on the project.

Christopher will fix the character assassinations from Before Dishonor and David will probably give us an end to the Borg once and for all - killing off an entire race is something he probably types gleefully, knowing how he likes to kill people in a literary sense ;) - and that is something to look forward to.

Then KRAD will show us how badly damaged the Federation and her allies are and we'll get back to "normal" ie no Borg. Because if I see another Borg after the Destiny trilogy I will :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read the blurb for the first volume in a venue unconnected to here or any online bookseller. Unless Pocket is engaging in a disinformation campaign, which would be a first, I have no reason to doubt its authenticity.

ETA: There were two minor differences with the version I've seen. One, it didn't mention Captain Dax by name. Two, it closed with a melodramatic flourish along the lines of "Four captains, one shared destiny."

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can safely say that GTTS and Destiny are very different from the sort of thing we got in Resistance and Before Dishonor, and very different from each other.

9. The Nth Doctor

That's definitely reassuring to read. It's not like I wasn't going to read these books, I was only a bit weary.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think this sounds pretty cool. Yeah, it is more Borg, but the other stuff going on sounds pretty cool to me. I'm also somewhat happy to see that my theory of who the legendary Captain is (possibly) correct. I'm just wondering if she'll get to stick around, because IMO it could be pretty interesting to see how she reacts to what has happened while she's been gone. I know we don't know that this is 100% accurate, but if it is it sounds like it should be prett cool IMO.

11. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

What I'm most interested in seeing is exactly how Titan and the events there are going to tie into the whole story. From the blurbs it doesn't seem to at all, but clearly it does somehow.

12. Trent Roman

The blurbs speak of secret subspace passages. Presumably this is how Hernandez and the Columbia arrived at their various destinations, and the means by which characters in three different locations are able to 'unite' as the blurb for the final book mentions.

13. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

Wasn't Voyager supposed to be involved in Destiny as well?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

We can only hope.

But then the question is, what *other* alien species will then be relentlessly driven into the ground to the point of infinite repetition? ;)

15. The Nth Doctor

Yes, because Destiny will be directing how the Voyager storyline will progress. I think some New Frontier character are suppose to show up, too.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  16. Trent Roman

Wow, a really big crossover then. Maybe Mere Mortals can have a large, fold-out centerfold with the entire Trek cast across series and generations featured. And if a few have greenish, blocky chins... eh, who'll notice?

17. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Those blurbs make me a little apprehensive - but, as others have said, Mack wouldn't have pitched it, nor spent a year working on it, if it was just another Borg story. I'm expecting major shifts in the universe - I mean, there's been discussion here about destroying Earth, but what if some major Federation member world does get wiped out here? There could be some interesting tales to tell with the survivors, and the impact it has on them- particularly if they're :vulcan:...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  18. JoeZhang

With respect to the creators involved, I think the problem many of us have is not we want a different type of borg story or a story where the borg are used in a different way. We want a story with no borg in it - that's the difference many of us are currently looking for.

19. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

what if the Borg are wiped out at the end of Destiny? not like the Dalek wipe out, but truly, totally gone, not an atom of them left in this universe, and none from the Altverse is allowed to come over either, type of wiped out?

20. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who still greatly enjoys the Borg. They're popular, and I don't think them being used in six novels near enough in a row, used well or not, is going to change that for a lot of people.

Are you going to be sick to death of Romulans by the time the Enterprise novels finish with the build up to the Romulan War? Maybe, but then that story will have been told and something else will come along. Borg might seem like all TNG is doing for now, but all together it's a story arc over two years; it'll be over soon enough.