Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

4x3 is backwards...

2. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Popped in "The Royale" last night. Data at the tables still gets me to this day. I also love the scene where Worf picks up the phone and says they're asking if we want "room service."

Riker: Tell them 'no.'
    Worf: NO!

Another good one:

Texas: Son do you know the odds on a 5 card Charlie!?
    Data: *looks at Texas, then at dealer* .... Hit me.

Edit: Also, and not to start up the whole vfx talk again, but the shot of the ship orbiting the planet, which is reused about 3 or 4 times in this episode, is one of the best examples of the crappy HTV job, especially when compared to the CBS version from EAF in S1. The colors are way overbright, soft, and it looks like the compositing was mushed together in low res.

3. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

You should watch TNG on BBC America, thats exactly what they do.

The credits get slightly cutoff on the bottom.

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not offended. Annoyed would be a better word. Besides they fact that people like BrEnDoN don't seem to respect the artisitic integrity of the original work, I'm actually more troubled that networks and home entertainment companies are listening more and more to people who say "to hell with the original aspect ratio, I just want my screen filled".

Borjis, illustrated my point brilliantly. BBC America is cutting up the image to satisfy viewers who are completely ignorant of aspect ratio's and other technical aspects of film and television making. And this is happening more and more, mostly on television but also on DVD and Blu Ray. I'm glad that most new television nowadays is shot in widescreen. That doesn't mean I want to see my old favorites mistreated in this way.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Not if that's the way it was originally shot.

Cropping a 4:3 picture to conform to 16:9 today is no different than cropping a 16:9 picture to conform to a 4:3 television set back in the day. In both cases you are losing picture information.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Or in some cases distorting picture information. Why does the picture need to "fill the screen" can't we all just be happy with OAR? There's several times I've watched a movie with my parents and the movie isn't i a 16:9 one so you get the matting on the TV and they wonder the picture doesn't "fill the screen." No, because it's a movie that was filmed in a 2:1 aspect ratio so it's not going to "fill the screen."

I can understand wanting a P&S version of movies when we were watching VHS tapes on a 27# 4:3" TV, you'd get a very tiny picture. But things are much different today.

Keep it OAR. It's the way you're meant to view it.

7. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because TV stations or DVD/BluRay editors might go for THAT opinion, because its cheaper or just "looks better" on the first sight, since their precious flatscreen is filled, so those who really care for the original look of a show/film dont have the option to watch it this way or have to pay even more, since they have to go for a special edition/TV plan.

"Why make it high quality if we can make it low quality and cheaper and sell even more, because people dont care for the high quality."

And I am pretty sure that HTV released the special effect shots in that quality, because they were pretty sure: "No one will notice anyway, if we do the effects quick and cheap. And the small rest, who actually does notice: F*ck them. They are the minority and play no role for the sales."

8. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Zooming a 4:3 picture is pretty much going back to the days of pan&scan/zoomed VHS tapes of the 80s and 90s.

And you can see, why it was so popular: Not because it was right for the most customers, just because it "feels right" for the most customers.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched "A Matter of Honor" for the first time in a while, and never noticed before just how little we actually see of the Klingon ship. Basically just the bridge, a hallway, and the mess hall. Somehow it always seemed like a lot more than that.

As for the effects, they looked fine. Some of the stock Enterprise shots were a bit too bright, but thankfully everything featuring the Bird of Prey looked good.

10. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

"A Matter of Honor" was the last ep of the season 2 set I watched. It actually held up better than I remembered and I'll agree that the shots of the Klingon BOP were quite nice to look at. Ensign Mendon's makeup was also a treat in HD.

All in all a very satisfying episode.

I have come to the conclusion that I never need to watch "The Outrageous Okona" again, and I think it may have just officially replaced "Shades of Gray" as my least favorite TNG episode.

11. BrEnDoN

Do you know what the artists original intent was? To make a show for us to enjoy. Let us enjoy it however way we want.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I watch it with a PS3 too, and sometimes it remembers where I left off, other times I have to select a language and go through the usual process. So it's less to do with the player and more to do with discs forcing you to pick a language each. and. every. time. you load the disc. Sure, sometimes the player may remember, sometimes it won't. I really don't know what the criteria is on that. And, really, it's absurd to force someone to pick a language every time they run the disc.

13. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:wtf:

14. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I enjoy ST:TNG Blu-rays in "shoebox format". I put a carboard shoebox over my head and hit play...I only see about 3% of the picture. Don't judge me!

I also enjoy "mailbox format" and "safety deposit box format"...

I also hope they make "Casablanca" in widescreen, and maybe add color to it to! And some CGI... :rolleyes:

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Thanks, I needed a good laugh! :techman:

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reviewer also seems to take issue with those who watch with a finger on the pause button.

I'm not sure what to think of it as I have yet to see it. Ordered it online from Best Buy on Dec. 4. It was supposed to have arrived by Dec. 10. As of Dec. 12 it had not arrived. Thanks for not having it in-store on release day, followed up by lousy shipping, "Best" Buy.

18. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, at least we no longer have to deal with movies being released in full screen and wide screen versions anymore.

Always bothered me when I saw someone's DVD collection and it was all "full frame" versions of movies, even before most people had widescreen TVs. I knew once they did they'd be SOL.

At least for TNG they kept the OAR. So we can enjoy it as it was meant to be seen, and the uninformed can do whatever they want in the privacy of their own living rooms.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? It's certainly no high point, but I can still think of at least a dozen episodes that are harder to sit through than Okona (Masks, Code of Honor, Night Terrors, Angel One...)

20. BrEnDoN

I'm perfectly 'informed', thank you. I just have a different preference and I'm glad I can choose which way I want to watch it...