The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

It will be in Ridley Scott's reimagining of Melville's classic story.

Okay, so there is no such thing planned...yet. :shifty:

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Starkers great points and that's what I was trying to get across in my post...Dredd and his fellow Judges ARE THE LAW and a symbol of the authoritarian state they represent and reinforce. Taking off the helmet would humanize Dredd to the point where the "fear' (that's not the word I was wanting to use but it will do) the criminals and population perceive is diminished. Not sure if I'm making my point clearly enough.

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be infinitely better.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree it wasn't that bad as a film in it's own right. I rather enjoyed bits of it. If anything I thought the movie's Mean Machine was a little played down! ;)
    I'd certainly be curious to see a director's cut version as I gather the film was ratehr heavily edited by the studio (the ending in particular) and it very clearly shows in places. Notice how you see the clones hatch but in the next scene they're all gone? I'm not saying a DC would drastically improve matters, but I'm curious to see how different it could have been.

5. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rob Schneider was much less of a problem than Armand Assante or Diane Lane. I thought his character gave us decent insight into Stallone's, and allowed us to see a fuller picture of the world environment. When he was on the screen, I was entertained. When Lane was, I was not.

That being said, I'm another one of the people who basically enjoyed the Stallone version. But I've never read the comic at all.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eat recycled food. Recycled food is good for the environment, and okay for you. :lol:

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

On the up side it looks like the new screenplay is a much less convoluted story than the original. Think 'Training Day' meets 'Die Hard' hard with a bit of 'Assault on Precinct 13' thrown in. For those that wish to know more, a google of "judge dredd" and "peach trees" should turn up a script review somewhere out there.

I'm also rather curious as to whom they might cast as Dredd's sidekick in this one. If it was me, I'd choose Summer Glau, but perhaps that kind of typecasting won't do the girl any favours in the long run...plus she'd need to dye her hair or wear a wig. ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with this.

And it is having read the comics that has me hating this movie.

9. Admiral_Young

I've not read any of the comics either but have a vague enough knowledge of Judd Dredd to understand why the first film bothered so many fans. This film is very different, more violent and serious than the first film was. Reverend makes a good analogy by saying it's like a cross between "Training Day and Die Hard" leaning towards the Training Day.

10. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I havent read much of the Dredd comics, only couple of trades.
    I have to confess that I liked the Stallone film:D There was some good actors in that one, even though the script was bit goofy. It had good music also.
    And Diane Lane looked good in that tight black uniform;)

I think Dredd is difficult to transfer to film, so I look forward of what the come up with. I like the casting so far, though:techman:

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I never understand the obession with Summer Glau, she couldn't act her way out of a paperbag.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope this doesn't mean the reboot Dredd is...

corrupt, like Denzel's character was in that film. :(

13. Admiral_Young

^No the description is more of the style and tone of the film rather than the characters. Rest assured Dredd is the paragon of virture lol.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

It probably has little to do with acting and more to do with her being hot though I do think that she's good at doing what she does.

15. Admiral_Young

Summer's is beautiful but I think she gets suggested for parts like these from fans because we are familiar with her physical prowess and willingness to do her own stunts. While I am a huge fan of hers I don't think she'd be right for this part. The more I think about it the more someone like Kate Beckinsale would be interesting for Dredd's partner. Dredd's partner actually has a pretty juicy character arc of her own in this film. I would suggest that people take Reverend up on his suggestion of searching for a good script review. Maybe I'll post a link to one later this week once I get time.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Summer would make a good Dekker!

I think with Hershy the problem is she shouldn't neccesarily be hot. I'd always got the impression from the comics that she wasn't supposed to be that attractive, or if she is then its in an unconventional way--a young Anjelica Huston would have been perfect!

If you want a babe they need Judge Anderson!

17. Admiral_Young

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, not sure.
    I can see the advantage to confining most of the action to one citi-block, you don't want to overwhelm people, but it could just turn into AN Other action film.

Slo-Mo does sound like the sort of thing that would turn up in Mega City, kudos as well to something they could never show in the comics...it's hard to draw slow motion after all!

Please don't let it be a 12A/PG13 (even though I know it will be!)

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I became impressed with Summer Glau as an actress well before I realized she was hot. Firefly was not a glamour role for her, since she generally looked scruffy and unwell and rarely smiled. It's when she smiles that she's really beautiful, and that was something she rarely did in her two main roles, River and Cameron from Sarah Connor Chronicles. So it was her talent, both as an actress and a dancer/martial artist, that captured my attention before I really became intrigued with her looks. I don't understand why people would think she can't act; she's created a number of distinct, effective characterizations that aren't easy to pull off. Yes, maybe most of her characters are in a similar "eccentric/crazy" wheelhouse, but that's not an easy kind of character to play. And her characters are really very distinct from each other if you pay attention.

20. Admiral_Young

Here's the teaser trailer to a fan film called "Judge Minty" that a friend just showed me...I think it looks really good.

http://judgeminty.blogspot.com/