Ideas for episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by hux, May 17, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would have completely freaked me out.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

How about an episode where the ship is hit with a gender-o-beam, and everyone temporarily switches genders?

... Yeah, that would only have had a 96% chance of being completely terrible.

Dang, VOY's a hard one to come up with episode ideas for! So many of the missed opportunities were in the details and through-lines, not the lack of this or that gimmick of the week. :p

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh but Q has to be in that one... :rolleyes:

4. teacake

We already had the EMH and 7 switch.

Would the have just turned into the other gender, like BAM! Janeway is suddenly a man or would they switch bodies with crewmen. The switching with crewmen thing has been done in so many other shows but I guess they don't just BAM! change genders because it's going to be costly.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ "Body and Soul" is a pretty good installment of Sitcom Trek Voyager, but it wasn't exactly a switch in that we never got Seven-as-Doctor.

And I'm definitely suggesting a BAM! change rather than a body-for-body switchapalooza. I mean, to the extent I'm suggesting it at all.

6. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the entire first act, you mean the first 45 seconds of the scene where she keeps talking until the translator works out her language.....i did really like that a lot as it was one of the few episodes to address the universal translator and remind us that various characters are actually speaking different languages but it was very brief indeed.....my idea would be slightly more like Darmok but with familiar characters who only yesterday were chatting over breakfast with each other now forced to comprehend each other and struggling to do so (except for the ones that speak the same language)

I also had an idea for an episode where of the crew are caught in a time loop (similar to cause and effect) but instead of the whole crew knowing that this is happening, only one would (maybe Seven) and instead of only having a vague feeling, she would have complete memory of the days events and she proves this to the crew by knowing and predicting things (think groundhog day)....it's not new but i'd like it

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My idea would be to have Neelix and a few Voyager members go to some space station (kinda like Mos Eisley), and buy another small starship (to replace the shuttles). This would include creative negotiating and some close encounters.

I would also include a scene in a bar where the band is singing Third Day's song "Alien".

This would be an episode with some longlasting consequences.

8. teacake

How did they get that song? What Alpha Quadrant folk brought it there and where are they now?

I'm listing to that song now.. it is too rocky for Star Trek. In Star Trek people only listen to classical or jazz. The only rock music is a brief snippet of Klingon rock and Zephram Cochrane's juke box. Even a hipster dude like Paris doesn't listen to vintage rock.

9. teacake

Okay here are the lyrics to the song..

Clearly it's a hymn to Janeway who when she arrives saves everyone in the wretched hive. Definitely an episode with long lasting consequences.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    It just occurred to me the time loop and gender-swap ideas were both done brilliantly by SG-1 :lol: They really had some good episodes on that series.

11. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like the Walking Dead universe, where George A. Romero never made a "Night of the living Dead" movie, in the Voyager universe, Third Day never recorded this song.

And I am guessing most Trek fans haven't heard it either, and wouldn't be bothered by its use.

you ARE right, modern Trek has been pretty narrow minded in the use of music.

Part of the idea with the scene is that it is indeed sung by aliens...perhaps a subplot of the singer wanting to be freed from captivity, so the song is an actual plea for help, that just happened to fit the music.

They could also modify the music and make it sound more alien.

12. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Paris did listen to rock and roll. When he was in his garage working on his Camaro and blowing off his sick bay shift.

Rock and roll was also playing when the Doc and Denara Pel were necking in the 57 Chevy on Mars.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

No. I really think you're misremembering the episode. It really is the first 15 minutes (!) of the episode. So I wasn't exaggerating – you seem to underestimate the time the episode spends with the problem.

Yup, great scene, great dialog, great actors. Thank you! :)

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a few:

- Voyager is attacked by a duplicate of itself. In command is Cavit; the doctor is Fitzgerald; at the helm is Stadi; etc. Turns out that the crew of this version of the ship are all of the ones who died on the original - and they want revenge.

- Not an entire episode but possibly a subplot in one: One time when Tom and Harry try to access the Fair Haven program they find that all traces of it have been wiped from the system, like the program never existed. Turns out that Q is involved - he somehow took all the characters and made them real, i.e. a real town in Irish history (of whatever time frame it's supposed to be). Not only that but several crewmembers are actually descendants of characters from the "program". So if Voyager had never gone to the DQ, and thus the program had never been written, many of the crew would have never been born...

- Voyager rescues a damaged shuttle. On board is Greskrendregtk (Ensign Wildman's husband). She is of course overjoyed to see him but when he sees her he freaks out and runs away (and doesn't even recognize Naomi). This is because this is the mirror universe counterpart of Gres, who escaped to the regular universe because where he comes from Samantha is abusive and violent, and beats the shit out of him every day. Then the MU Voyager - well, *a* MU Voyager, anyway (as the mainstream MU has no more Terran Empire by the time VOY takes place, so this would be a version of the MU where the Empire still existed) turns up and tries to take Gres back - he eventually beams to the ISS Voyager bridge with a bomb and sacrifices himself to blow up the ship.

(I'm actually toying with the idea that the version of Voyager depicted in the opening scenes of "Living Witness" is actually real, and was the ISS Voyager that I just spoke of.)

- An away mission from Voyager finds the USS Hera, Geordi's mother's ship (IIRC, this actually was going to be an episode). However the ship is empty and abandoned. Long story short: the crew decides to use the technology from "Prime Factors" again - thinking it will work better on a larger ship like the Nebula-class Hera - to get home. This turns out to be true, as the Hera makes several test jumps and can go anywhere they want. One crewmember is left in command of the Hera while the rest of the crew prepare to migrate to it. In the meantime, the Borg turn up. The lone officer on board the Hera eventually rams the ship into the Borg cube and destroys both vessels, to prevent the Borg from getting that alien technology.

- One day, Samantha Wildman starts acting real cold towards Chakotay and refuses to talk to him or follow his orders. Janeway hauls her into the ready room and demands answers. Turns out...remember when Chakotay once accidentally disturbed a tomb when he visited one of the Ktarian worlds? Well that tomb was of a revered Ktarian soldier and it started a civil war when he did that. Millions of Ktarians died as a result. Samantha accidentally stumbled across this and so she blames Chakotay for causing all that death on her hubby's homeworld (we would also learn that the Ktarian "game" from TNG was created by one of the factions in the civil war, which wanted to take over the Federation). Well one day during one of the crew's regular "Pathfinder"-style communications home, she talks to Gres, who freaks out and begs her to stop. He says that it's not Chakotay's fault, that something would have set it off sooner or later, and that neither he nor the post-war Ktarian government blames Chakotay for what happened and so she shouldn't either. Gres also talks to Chakotay himself, who is overcome with guilt over the war he thinks he caused. Gres convinces both of them to lighten up.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

- I would loved to have seen a realization of the novel of Ragnarok.

- I would've built up the tension through the first season between the Maquis and Starfleet crewmembers then in the season one finale would've had the Maquis tired of how Janeway is running the ship and the crew mutiny and take it over. Chakotay struggles to decide his loyalty to his former crew or his belief in Janeway's vision of getting the crew home.

- I would liked to have seen something similar to BSG's New Caprica arc, with Voyager becoming seriously damaged and Torres saying it will take months or longer to repair the ship, so they have to spend a very long time on an M-class planet in the Delta Quadrant.

- Janeway discovers a vital component from a shuttle was lost during a scouting mission to a technological yet non-space faring race, and when they return find the race have reverse engineered the component and have begun designing their own space vehicles. With the prime directive already broken, Janeway must decide to intervene or let the race takes their course.

- Voyager encounters a complete benign collective similar to the Federation in the Delta Quadrant, but their own fear of mistrust and deceit cause them to lose out on any potential benefits.

- Voyager spends several episodes traversing between two spiral arms of the galaxy.

- Endgame finishes with Voyager crashing down into San Francisco, instead of simply arriving with the fleet. The ship basically gets munted but the crew survive.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager finally returns home. There are parades in the streets of San Francisco, and the crew are given medals and are hailed as heroes.

...but one year later, Barclay begins to suspect that something isn't quite right. Teaming up with Troi, he begin to uncover the truth... that it wasn't the Voyager crew that returned home at all, but the swindlers from "Live Fast and Prosper"!

17. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Oooooooooo!

Too bad the swindlers don't actually look like Janeway, Chakotay, and Tuvok.... :lol:

18. teacake

That would be hilarious!!!

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

One idea I had back when I was a teenager and it was airing:

The crew rescue a man who is participating in a galaxy-wide game of assassin with some significantly large prize. The man, however, no longer wants to participate. He wants to leave and go home. The way it ends is, Voyager protects him for a while and helps broker an agreement to allow people to forfeit the game without being killed. But it turns out the guy they were protecting was conning them and uses Voyager to try to eliminate all the other players.