The MIchael J. Fox Show

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Nine of Four, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Michael J. Fox is my favorite actor ever, and the announcement of his show caused me to pass out. It has lived up to my expectations. Does anyone else love him/the show as much as I do??

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I love him.

However his show suffers from the worst the worst few things possible in a TV show.

It's boring.
    It's characters are blah.

And worst, it's not funny. it's sweet and nice and everything, but it's just not funny.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It needs some retooling, but I think it's funny. His boss and his sister drag the show down.

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Michael J. Fox is not the problem. It definitely needs retooling in both the cast and the series structure including writers. As difficult as it might be for Fox, maybe it needs to be taped live in front of a studio audience.:shrug:

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love MJF but this show isn't entertaining unfortunately.

6. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Being a big Back to the Future fan (and to a lesser extent, Family Ties) I was excited to watch this series with Michael J. Fox. And after a very satisfying ending to Breaking Bad I was even looking forward to seeing Betsy Brandt again.

It was such a letdown. It was definitely very blah. A few chuckles here and there is all it has gotten from me.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's terrible.

8. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I like MJF but the show is mediocre. Just not that funny

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It was brave move for Michael, but how long will it be before Rush Limbaugh starts ripping him to shreds again?

10. Guy Gardener

Ripping him to shreds seems dramatic.

That implies that Rush won or had a cogent point of view.

He was just crude and mean.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because Rush is a fat lazy druggie who has to take his self hatred out on others.

Everyone with a heart loves MJF.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I found it mildly funny, but there's nothing there that makes me want to watch more. Two episodes in I was already kind of over it. Which is a shame, because I usually give average shows much longer than that to win me over.

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely needs some retooling with some more interesting characters. I don't feel any chemistry between anyone. Perhaps he needs a sidekick.

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a real shame that the show just isn't funny. I love MJF and will continue to watch just because I like seeing him up on screen again, but I don't think the show is going to be around for long unless something drastic happens.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I love Michael J. Fox and was very excited about this show, but for the most part I've been very disappointed about the show for the same reasons everyone has stated already. That being said, I've only seen the first two episodes and just haven't gotten to the newer episodes.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I find it too safe. Robin Williams show is much funnier.

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, safe is a good way to describe it. It doesn't really bring anything new to the already crowded sitcom table. And thinking on it some more, I think it would work better if they'd focus more on his job rather than his bland family. The whole concept of the show is him getting back to work, and the first episode showed promise, but 3 episodes in, it's hardly had any scenes at work, instead choosing to focus on his family and bringing up awkward situations such as the teenage girl painting her Mom. It really needs to find a way to balance things better. I know it's not Frasier, but I think it needs to learn a few things from it as that show had great balance to it.

Another thing is that Robin William's show has energy, something that this show lacks. Everyone sounds bored, and the confessionals aren't helping.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. Guy Gardener

Funnier than not funny?

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

MJF is, as others have said, awesome.

But for some reason networks think there's no correlation between a show's success and writing. They think they can just roll out likable actors, assign any old writers to the show, and the show will be successful. Just rolling out likable actors gets you short term ratings, but long term the ratings will fall into a black hole.

20. Guy Gardener

Have they explained the interview bits?

I don't think they have on modern family, but they did on the Office and it didn't matter on The Monkees.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013