Anyone Here Like The Big Bang Theory Televison Show?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Pubert, May 7, 2015.

1. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It never goes away completely, it's just a lot less than it used to be.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If you're taking Sheldon seriously, you're watching the wrong show. It's a sitcom, not a reality series. He's the "wacky neighbor" character, and those often tend to be the most popular characters amongst general viewers who know that they're watching a comedy.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Other than the bit about watching Flash I didn't notice any geek humor in the finale. Usually it's more evident.

4. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

In the last episode of season 8? Don't post any spoilers I haven't got to it yet. Thank you.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, you also had Sheldon talking to a Gollum figurine at the end, and we had at least one scene at a comic-book shop . . .

What's really unbelievable is that Sheldon wasn't already watching The Flash! :)

(Pretty sure we've seen him wearing a Flash tee-shirt on occasion.)

6. Pubert

That and the time he wore his flash costume while medicated so he could stay awake longer and ran around and out the apartment yelling "zoom, zoom zoom". :guffaw:

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there are a lot of Flash references with Sheldon.
    As for the show, it's been a favorite of mine for quite a while. I do agree there isn't quite as much sci-fi/comic book humor as there used to be, but I still enjoy it.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think part of the problem sometimes, and it's something I'm guilty of as well, is building something up too much. BBT is an amiable network sit-com and not trying to be more ... and that's OK sometimes. It's a silly little diversion not some big paradigm shift.

Yeah that was what I was thinking as well. Saved slightly by Sheldon trying to decide if he wanted another thing to become fully invested and committed which I think we can relate to. Though again that seems like something that Leonard would consider moreso than Sheldon.

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the premature cancellation of "Firefly" & "The Alphas" made him switch his viewing habits to include series that have run a few years 1st.

10. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I freaking love TBBT! Yes the quality has gone down a bit but I still enjoy it. I love how Sheldon and Amy are getting closer. Bernadette used to be really sweet but now I kind of hate her. Although since getting married, I like Howard more. His anniversary song was one of the most sweetest moments of the whole show, aside from Sheldon uttering those three small words:) I miss Mrs. Wolowitz:(

11. Pubert

I haven't got to season 8 yet but the actress who played Mrs. Wolowitz was well known and her death was reported so I know I have something sad to see in the 8th season. She was a big part of Howards character and will be missed.:weep:

12. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I'd like it alot more if Channel 9 didn't run it every other night...in 2 hour blocks piece.

It's their replacement 'Two and Half Men.'

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm in the "nerd blackface" category of people when it comes to this show. I've seen a few episodes and in the ones I've seen I didn't get too much laughter from it myself as it really felt like we're supposed to be laughing at these guys because "ho ho, nerds are so awkward and goofy!"

I've spent my entire life being one of those people, I'm not going to contribute to their mockery.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Same.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watch it on occasion, and I like it. It's cute.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

To me it doesn't feel like mockery because honestly i've met guys like this and to a degree i am like that which is why i can relate to the characters and why it doesn't feel that made up (though i was never a full blown nerd who buys costumes and display figurines).

I think if someone can't take some humor at his own expense they should take a step back and see things from a different perspective because we all mock every cultural group.
    Jocks mock nerds and nerds mock jocks, if it's a good joke i'll laugh and that's all i want from this show.

I don't take it personal because all the guys (even Sheldon) are decent guys who will help others no matter what, they are passionate about their jobs and private interests and the humor comes from a place that's not mean spirited.

Who amongst us who has full blown comicbook/toys/Comic Con attendee friends didn't recognize character traits shown in the show that fit their friends? They may be exaggerated for comedic purposes (i seriously doubt there is someone this clueless as Sheldon when it comes to social conventions without some form of mental issues like the often denied Asperger's syndrome) but i don't mind and laugh which is all the show is trying to do.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've only see a few episodes - it seems as funny as lung cancer to me - some guys who appear to be middle-aged playing overgrown teenagers.

18. Pubert

Isnt that what a lot of Star Trek fans are? When I go to the comic con there are a ton of people in their 40s and 50 in costumes. Whats wrong with that?

19. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I resisted the show for years because I thought it simply made fun of a group I technically belong to, Star Trek nerds. ("Technically", since I'm not a 30 something male scientist or engineer).

But so many people I ran into brought the show up and told me they loved it, people who were NOT Star Trek nerds, that I started to watch clips of it on youtube. Then I started to watch it on reruns (those 2 hour blocks twice a week that Hela hates) and finally I started watching it first run because I really came to like the characters.

What I first took as mockery of a group I belong to (nerds), I ultimately realized had used a classic Sci-fi trick to suck "the un-nerds" into our world.

The writers made these all too human nerds into Aliens... like Spock and Data, Worf and Odo, the EMH and Phlox. By doing that, it could not only take issues and turn them on their ears, it could make nerds loveable and understandable to the uninitiated.

Nerds can see aspects of themselves in this show, as can any hardcore fan of any genre. How many men in how many sitcoms have had their chops busted for ignoring their partners during their sport season or during hunting season? The same thing happens on TBBT, it just happens during comic con or on role-playing night.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

One aspect of the show that I particularly like is how the Leonard/Sheldon/Penny dynamic echoes the classic Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic. The comic chemistry between opposites Penny and Sheldon is, IMO, the strongest asset of the series.