Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It does look a bit weird from the side, but from the front I think the overall effect works really well.

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

It's probably more 'realistic'. I don't know about 'better'.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I do like the suit over all I do have to agree with CaptaiN Craig here.
    I think it would have looked a little bit better if they had used a red belt like the NewDCU Superman has.

4. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The whole "let's not have underwear, but keep the belt" look has always seemed kind of weird half-measure to me. It's like it only serves to remind you that there used to be trunks there.

5. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I like aspects of it. I wouldn't mind some red or gold somewhere in the midst of the piping in the belt section, but that's minor. The shield itself is a solid design choice. It's hard to tell how the colors will read, since these are flat lighting shots. Snyder likes his filters, so it might look much different on the screen.

The only bit of piping I'm not sure about is around the cape, shown here.

The sort-of bracelets are interesting. It kind of give him a Samson/strongman look.

Overall, I think he looks like a composite of many versions of Superman. As people have mentioned, there are hints of earlier versions of the character, as well as an obvious attempt to propel him into the future.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am not real happy about the trunk-less look but I am withholding judgment until I see it in action on the big screen. So far all we have really seen of the full suit are blurry pictures from the filming site.

I hold the possibility that the filmed product may look just fine...I hope.

7. Gojira

The picture you linked to looks pretty good. Gives me more hope!

8. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Here's the Kirk Alyn version - looking like he's having fun:

[​IMG]

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That's just a manip someone did of a capeless pic. When he's got the actual cape on, we should only see a little bit of piping in the front.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a bad set photo

[​IMG]

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, now that I've seen the pics bigger, it actually looks OK to me without a belt or trunks.

12. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's awesome. He actually looks powerful, unlike Routh. Sorry Routh fans. ;)

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The build is right. The suit is crap.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, I can see his junk. I wonder how hard it is to get in and out of that suit.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've never bought the idea that Ma Kent is the one who made the suit using blankets she got out of the Kryptonian baby Moses basket. The "idea" seems to be one that the Kryptonian blankets were just as "super" as Superman is, explaining how it is Superman's suit never gets damaged during his battles.

This may have worked in older tales of the character but I'm not sure it works as much today no to mention the question of how Ma Kent was able to cut, piece together, and sew a material that is indestructible! Though I think some hand-waving has been done saying she did it with Green-K laced sewing material.

But this also suggests that the material was "super" due to it being on Earth and not Krypton which doesn't completely go along with Superman getting his abilities from exposure to the sun and not from being an alien on an alien world. He's a "solar battery" that converts solar energy from our yellow sun into super abilities. It's "unlikely" that this "solar battery" aspect would extend to inanimate objects. So it some versions of the "solar battery" tale is that Superman's abilities extend to anything in proximity to him or in direct contact with him (how Lois is able to "fly" in the 1979 movie while being extended out from Superman's hand and arm.) So his indestructibility covers his suit as well.

Where does this all leave me?

I sort of like the idea that Smallville went with, that the suit was made by Jor-El/The Fortress of Solitude specifically for Kal-El/Superman out of Kryptonian materials and either they're protected by that fact alone or by Superman's "invulnerability field."

Needless to say, I doubt this movie is going with the idea that Ma Kent sewed that out of rubber Kryptonian blankets using a Kryptonite needle.

Needless to say, it still looks to rubbery, to busy with the details and, well, I like the look of the red area people keep insisting is "underwear."

16. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda have to agree with you. hope fully the acting will be good.

:wtf::eek::cardie:

17. Gojira

Where's the cape? Oh well...this is a good clear picture and I am officially 100% fine with this now. I actually think it looks pretty good! I think once we see the finished product it will look even better!:bolian:

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's theorized that in these shots the cape was a hindrance during production so it was removed, to be added in later using CGI.

It's also possible these are test shots where the cape was removed, again for convenience.

It's even possible that the cape is missing due to plot reasons.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Realistic' is relative though. There's neither a trunks wearing or trunks-less Superman running around in 'real' life so how is one more realistic than the other?

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

are they going to cgi the cape for the 3D effect?
    and why does he look like he's wearing wonder woman's braceletts?