NBC cancels Law & Order

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 13, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From Deadline Hollywood:

2. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

wow.

really, wow. I just commented in another thread I didn't believe they'd ever cancel the show unless it was actively losing money. I guess without TNT that day is here already.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Update: Michael Ausiello and The Futon Critic are saying that the cancellation isn't quite finalized yet and that last-minute negotiations are still ongoing. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I really would like to see L&O break the record. I hope this isn't true. :(

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

What the fuck are you doing NBC?!?!

Your new drama shows will fucking fail like every other fucking thing you fucking do these days! You are a failure of a network!

L&O on a Friday night with no ads on a forth place network got over seven million viewers! Sure the demo sucked, but that's 7 million viewers on a network no one give a fuck about! If they become any worse they would have to change their name is CW!

13 episode 21st season to "close" the show off, that's it. Break the record, have tons of ads about it, and when ALL of NBC's new dramas do horrible because they are crap then they have a back up to fill in the wholes.

I mean really, in the last several years the only hour long shows that made it more than a season have been Heroes and Chuck, really sad.

6. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

QFT! I could not agree with you more...what is wrong with the morons at NBC??? :klingon: They have the best cast in YEARS, the writing has been terrific, and they are ONE year from breaking the record and NBC wants to cancel it? It makes no sense!

The show did very well on Fridays, like you said. The fans followed it there. Then they shuffle it to Mondays against Castle and CSI Miami. Of course NBC isn't going to get the same demos...if they cancel it because of this, I'll blow a gasket. :scream:

After the way they treated Conan over the Tonight show, I will be SOOO done with NBC if they cancel L&O....and I don't care if next fall's hit show is somehow, miraculously, on their network, I will not watch ever again.

Stupid NBC! I really hope that they will see the light and give it one more year...:( I'm so angry about this.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

they axed it because it had 7 million viewers? does NBC not realise most of its other shows get 2/3s of that if they are lucky

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

they axed it because it had 7 million viewers? does NBC not realise most of its other shows get 2/3s of that if they are lucky

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

But....but....Law & Order is ALWAYS on. How could it NOT be?

*sigh*

I mean, really----the network is already down the toilet. Would it really kill them to go for one more season?

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

From James Hibberd at The Hollywood Reporter:

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

*cough*Doctor Who*cough*

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

First the Conan debacle, now this. What idiots are running NBC?

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

*cough*Guiding Light*cough*

14. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess they meant to say "longest-running prime-time American drama", but thought that would be too wordy.

Anyway, if this is true, I'm sorry to hear it. The current cast gels pretty well, and from a creative standpoint, the show has seemed better than it has been in some of the more recent seasons. I would've liked to have seen it break the record.

I must admit, though, I've had a tough time following the show this year. First it was airing on Fridays, now it's... what, Monday? Between NBC moving it around and my crazy, irregular work schedule, I haven't been able to watch too many episodes. Usually, I just end up catching the reruns on Saturday, if I can...

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

NBC has shown time and time again that they clearly do not know what they are doing...I still remember the season before "Friends" ended that they were planning on canceling or ending it a year prior but couldn't find a suitable replace for that Thursday night time slot and decided to bring the show back for one last time. Then of course the debacle with Conan and Jay early this year.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Update from Deadline Hollywood:

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't watch L&O, but why the heck did they move it from Fridays? It was doing well there (for an NBC show/for a show on Friday), and probably could have lasted another couple of seasons on that night.

18. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those dodgy foreign shows never count. ;)

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It's the record for longest-running prime-time drama in American broadcast history that its aiming for. There are other shows that have run for longer than Gunsmoke if you include other categories of programming. In the realm of American prime-time scripted programming, for instance, The Simpsons is currently in its 21st season and has been renewed for its 22nd season.

20. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just trying to picture the idea of "no new L&O" on tv. I rarely watch primetime but if I do that is one of my go-to choices. The world has turned upside down. :(