What is it you want?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RobertScorpio, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Before I answer your question, I'll ask one of my own: where does this attitude come from? You're talking about people who have seen the same things you have but just feel differently, yet somehow out of that you get that they "just don't want to like this movie". :vulcan:

If you knew me you'd know better than to make a blanket statement like that.

A good Star Trek movie (a simple answer for a smug question). I'd elaborate, but given the snobbish way the question was asked, I doubt any real effort on my part would be worth the time since you'd probably dismiss it out of hand. If you're really interested, I plan on writing an essay about this in hopefully the not too distant future.

Pick what you think is the worst movie, or the worst episodes that could be made into movies, and ask yourself if you'd feel the same way about it needing to "get butts in the seats of those theaters".

I've been waiting a while for good Star Trek and it hasn't been delivered, or only in small doses, and this movie isn't delivering it either. Damn me for my consistency. :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion, but you might want to avoid trollish words like "naysayers" - that would be a good start. ;)

STXI: The Undiscovered Country, followed by First Contact and TWoK.

I have this inkling you're going to say that anyway.

:lol: Well there's your problem right there. Only one of my friends is really as enthusiastic about Star Trek as I am, and the others are only mildly interested or just tolerate my enthusiasm. Anyone who'd give me shit about liking Star Trek can kiss my entire ass, so the idea of being ashamed somehow makes me laugh my as off.

And ironically a lot of the hype for this movie reminds me a lot of the hype for NEM, the ads of which also compared it to Star Wars and went on about how new and different it was, while in the publications Berman got his supposedly Trekkie writer to go on about how careful they were being in keeping it consistent with previous continuity, and how we were going to get an awesome fight akin to TWoK between Picard and a worthy adversary. The fans reacted much the same back then, too, with a group of ... enthusiastic supporters bitching about naysayers and how they should wait until the movie comes out, etc - basically everything going on now in this forum.

2. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

You think wrong.

3. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I want Star Trek cupcakes and more product placement.

4. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want a movie that doesn't totally suck, isn't dumbed down for the average big-budget-overhyped-generic-summer-blockbuster movie-going crowd, doesn't treat the audience like brain-dead wastes of flesh who get excited by big explosions and doesn't break continuity/force fans to think of it as being in an alternate timeline.

The trailers almost confirm my worst fears about the first 3 concerns and the spoilers I've looked at confirm the latter, however judging movies by trailers alone before actually seeing the finished product isn't generally the best idea, and I could overlook the whole alternate timeline/canon issue if the movie is decent enough. I will have to reserve my judgement until I've actually seen it myself.

5. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Well, that's two people now who treated Robert Scorpio's patented Rush Limbaugh-style pot-stirring with far more seriousness than it ever really deserved.

Rob, I don't think this was a very well-thought-out or well-timed thread. Your
    thing comes off way too much like waving a red flag in front of a bull -- a taunt, in other words, and it's not even in service of a position you seem to strongly support. Another poster (lately-departed) has already thoroughly worn that ploy out, and for you to do it now smacks more of attention-seeking and theatrics than of any real interest in finding an answer. But I let it run for a bit, and people have generally behaved pretty well -- even those who felt compelled to answer at length.

Honestly, though, I just don't see this going anywhere very productive, in the long run. If you want to re-think it and perhaps whip it together for re-post as a Future of Trek topic, then I don't see any problem with that, per se, but for now I think this one's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.