Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The Cage ruined me, so I imagine it as a giant window (or, rather, a giant glowing translucent dome lit at the edges, so it's semitransparent at the top and yellow-white at the edges). Something like these, but, you know, a dome.

Still, I like the inverted dome for evoking the artificial-horizon in the TMP bridge, but it does seem kind of lonely. Maybe not the whole Rolls-Royce hubcap thing from the movie set, but some sort of radial pattern might help set it off (along with making it smaller. Maybe not as small as the TMP one, but not big enough that it feels like a big Eye of Damocles waiting to come loose and crush Kirk, Sulu, and Chekov).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Donny likes this.
  2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I actually like the TAS bridge--what with a ready room off to the side. That means the ship would have to be larger--but I like the huge TAS shuttlebasy as well.

Spock also seems to hold on to a "shelf" at times--as if there is a doorway there as well.

The continuous bridge looks..smaller.

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

When did TAS establish a ready room off to the side of the bridge? I remember them having a second turbolift, but that's it.

4. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, pretty sure there was never a ready room in TAS.

5. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was this room next to the viewscreen.
    [​IMG]

6. Jesse1066

That's the second turbolift.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

According to Franz Joseph, it was an access door to the space between the outer hull of the bridge module and the back-end electronics of the bridge consoles, which contained a small water closet and a gantry way down to B-deck. Makes more sense than an extra lift, IMO. It always bothered me that there was no way off the bridge in case the turbolifts died, trapping the senior officers in a time of crisis (which happened a couple of times during the series, IIRC). FJ put the little stairwell back there to solve that problem, and an easy-access bathroom to solve another. :D

That's my head-canon and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    TOMFAN likes this.
  8. Jesse1066

Honestly, that does make a lot more sense than putting a second turbolift shaft in shortly before moving it in a major refit. Makes more sense functionally also.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

On TOS, that area looked a little--well--undergreebled for me. The TAS bridge is better, it seems

Galileo7 likes this.
  10. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the turbolift failed, couldn't you just shut down the gravity and float down the tube? That afterall is the default state of things in space.

I never understood the need for a second turbolift. Just have handholds in that tube.

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if the tube is blocked?

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then as per standard procedure (as seen in The Naked Time) Kirk shouts at Uhura to clear the tube :biggrin:

13. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Well done,sir! :lol:

So, after going through about 10 different designs for the ceiling, and realized I was getting too complicated with it and needed to scale everything back and use something minimally intrusive to the overall design of the bridge. I'd also toyed with just having a lit translucent bridge dome a la The Cage, but it just didn't feel right being able to look up into space from the deck of the TOS bridge. Too fancy. So I ended up going with the following design, demonstrated here in this fish-eye-lense screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like that - the minimalist look feels very TOSish (and mirrors the lower sensor dome) as well as matching up with the onscreen appearances of the Bridge ceiling.

Donny likes this.
  15. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I like the ceiling design, but the overall image is REALLY dark on my screen.

16. Donny

I was afraid of that. The images look fine on my monitor at home but everywhere else they seem so dark. Struggling to get parity between my monitor and other screens. Ugh.

17. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I wouldn't take my assessment as word, though; there are a LOT of images on this forum that are dark on my TV/monitor.

18. John Sinclair

John Sinclair Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A little dark but the size is just right :bolian:

19. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Beautiful design and render! I asked previously but didn't seem to get an answer on the one panel directly above the viewscreen that seems to be bumped out. I see that it exists in the set photos from TOS. Does anyone know what the reason for this feature?

20. Donny

Sorry no one ever answered! I honestly don't know of any reason it was there, especially since it was absent in WNMHGB.