Mars Needs Moms: what happened?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Same here, I was seeing commercials for it several times a day in the weeks leading up to its release. To me, it seems as if the movie was getting a big push.

I had no intention of going out to see it, but I was somewhat surprised it performed quite that badly. But then I guess the question is just what audience was this movie aimed at? Kids? Sci-fi geeks? Sci-fi geeks with kids?
    :confused:

2. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

If this movie failed because the title was cringeworthy, then I think we can already call the upcoming Tintin movie as a massive bomb. If somebody doesn't want to see a movie called "Mars Needs Moms" then I can pretty much guarantee they won't go see "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn".

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I dunno.. it has Spielberg and Peter Jackson's name plastered on it.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and normally that would mean something..

But:

Little kids don't know or care about who is involved in the film.

And all will be known once both adults and kids get a look at the animation...

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I do know Spielberg and Jackson but could care less about Tintin and the Unicorn.

Never heard of the character till a year ago. Looked it up and do not get the appeal. At. All.

Perhaps it's something one would have to have grown up with cause I'm not 'getting' it and will not be checking it out theatrically.

Zero interest.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Could you?

Yeah, imagine that! What's the point of watching the movie if you're not already familiar with the material?

7. Captain Craig

I could, not sure why you question it. That was mearly a response to the idea that cause Jackson & Spielberg are involved people will show up. It's not just their names that matter.

I tried to familiarize myself, not impressed so yeah not going to the movie. Not sure what puzzles you about that? If you like it great, I'm not knocking on it or its fans. Just doesn't appeal to me after having looked into it. Is that not better than having not looked the character up and made a totally uninformed comment for just not going?

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

You're right, I'm sorry. You could, in fact, care less. Which means you don't have "zero interest", which means there's hope.

There's absolutely nothing puzzling about that. In fact, I think it's safe to say that it's a pretty good illustration of the reason why there are so many sequels and remakes being made in Hollywood these days.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's too surprising. Don't think Tintin is too popular outside of Europe, though it is very popular in Canada, especially the french speaking community.

10. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

12. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very funny chart, though I'm afraid that you may be fighting a losing battle. I do say "I couldn't care less," though, merely as an act of defiance ;)

13. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw someone post "I could care less" as a comment on Facebook today. Someone else replied, "Really? Just how much less could you care?" :D

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I actually saw more previews for this movie than I did for Rango, but that didn't make it look any better. Mars Needs Moms just looked lame.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I love it when people try and defend it and go all, "It's just a figure of speech!"

Um, no, it isn't. Besides, it being a figure of speech isn't an excuse for it to make no damn sense.

16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm surprised no one has specifically mentioned the lack of a Happy Meal (or BK Kids meal or Wendys meal)....THAT would attract the attention of kids, and thus adults (who will hear their kids talking about it). Not an automatic ticket to the movie theater, but it starts some buzz...

17. Captain Craig

LOL!! :lol::lol:
    If the grammar=meaning police aren't busy you may want to go over here. It was just recently misused again...or was it?

Maybe when we could care less we mean there is chance for us to change or mind. Maybe it was misused but it's the internets so get over yourselves.

This thread was done for anyway but I have a feeling the Superman thread still has plenty of life in it so maybe you grammar police can look the other way. :p