#FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed Babylon 5, but I have to admit that I don't care if it's on TV or not and I'm not interested in any extension of the franchise.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think Babylon 5 has had a myriad of problems

1. JMS likes the long form. Today's audience wants instant gratification, and JMS likes to build slowly. It's like the folks who are against the JJ Abrams Trek Movies. They're non-stop action with a story and characterization woven into it. If JMS could do a Pilot and first season like this, he'd get the time to flesh out his groundwork. The audience at large isn't willing to stick around for a Babylon 5 S1.

2. Network interference really damaged Crusade. There was another gem building there, but, it didn't last long enough to come to fruition and the network interference made a mess of continuity and episode order.

3. Budget caused the problems for TLT and LoTR

I would love to see another Babylon 5 Series, and I think if the above problems could be overcome, it could be quite popular. So, maybe what a new Series needs is to be on a premium Cable Channel so it has the time to grow, or maybe he needs to work with a JJ Abrams type to bring in the flash and action while he grows the S1 groundwork

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I agree. I was a fan while it was on. I bought the DVDs and they're now cheap for the curious to buy or rent. I'd like to know how the Crusade arc might have developed over 5 years, but if I never find out, it's no big deal.

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Then...with all respect, this thread isn't meant for the ones not interested in helping out. It's for the ones who might be tired of the show being relegated to the status of a geek joke on popular TV who might like to work toward growing the fan base.

Jan

6. The Mirrorball Man

Good luck with that, though being remembered is better than nothing.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh well that is a shame. I mean the whole campaign was hinging on your personal approval after all, so I'm glad you took the time to post in this thread to let us know! :techman:

8. The Mirrorball Man

Charming. As I said, good luck with your campaign.

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I've added my like to Facebook, and hope that you guys and dolls get this rolling; we need to have something rerunning/running on TV that isn't Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Mad Men, Judge Judy, Judge Alex, Paternity Court, Divorce Court, The People's Court, Judge Mills Lane, Bridezillas, COPS Reloaded, Gilligan's Island, Star Trek: TOS, etc.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hey, go easy on Gilligan's Island there. :mad:

11. Triple-F

Triple-F Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

“Those poor people.”
    (Quick quote from Galaxy Quest) :)

12. RJDiogenes

It's an uphill climb. :(

13. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Here it is! It's time to 'get organized and loud', as JMS said back in September.

Support the Thunderclap and send the word out to everyone that you want Babylon 5 back on the air and you want all of your contacts to join us in contacting anybody likely to show Babylon 5 and let them know that we want to #FreeBabylon5!
    http://thndr.it/1dBd6c5

Jan

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just saw the image uploaded onto the facebook page with the "multiple references" to Babylon Five. Two recent programmes and Spaced where it was referenced in the first episode of series two twelve years ago. And the reference itself: Babylon Five's a big pile of shit! Seems somewhat counter productive to me.

Seems to be an ok cause though bringing to attention a some what under loved and long gone Television programme.

15. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not counterproductive if it gets people tired of a favorite show being a nerdy punchline fed up enough to try to do something about it, I think.

The tricky part is getting people to actually *do* something. Clicking and liking is easy but actually writing a letter to a TV station or to WB (or streaming sites, etc.) is more effort.

Every time I mention B5 to people I'm meeting (most recently yesterday at the car repair shop) the reaction is the same: 'Oh, yeah...I've heard of that show but never seen it'. This is all about getting more of them to have the chance to see it without a major investment required.

Jan

ETA: 93 supporters of the campaign and we'll reach 24,880 people! https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/7499-freebabylon5

16. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Here's another opportunity to bring B5 to the forefront of people's minds: Yes, it's another poll for the Best Sci-Fi Series of All Time. Since I first posted it to the #FreeBabylon5 Facebook page yesterday, it's risen from #12 to #6 against some stiff competition.

This one gives us an extra chance to influence the results, too. You can do your own 're-ranking' of the shows and that counts extra in the rankings. Oh, and Crusade and the B5 movies are available to vote for, too.

In ongoing news, the Thunderclap will definitely be going out and reaching at least 61,916 people on January 15.

I'm hoping that that number will be much higher after the Space City Con the first weekend of January where #FreeBabylon5 will have a table and a panel to discuss other things that can be done to get people to help get B5 back on the air. With 18 of the B5 actors there, it'll be a great weekend. Hope to meet you if you're going to be there.

Jan

17. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    And that's one thing I NEVER got - Sheldon on TBBT is an outsider, even among nerds and geeks. He SHOULD like B5, since that show was ALSO an outsider and not part of the ST cabal.

Even weirder is that WB also makes TBBT, don't they?

Or maybe it's a subtle form of reverse psychology - are they trying to give the message that since Sheldon hates it, it MUST be good?

I dunno - it always struck me as weird and just another example of people writing the show that AREN'T QUITE nerdy and geeky enough to do the references properly. That being said, I LOVE TBBT!!!

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Sheldon is a nerd among nerds, that makes him a snob. Note that the others all like B5 just fine. ;)

19. RJDiogenes

Now the question is, should I vote for B5 to help it along, or should I vote for the original Outer Limits because that's the one I really think is best? :rommie:

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think the way it works is that you thumbs up the ones you like and thumbs down those you don't then make your own list in order of preference. In fact, now that I look again, it says more people have B5 at the top of their lists than any other show.