Yeoman Tonia Barrows

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Komack, Aug 23, 2013.

1. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome widow's peak accentuated by swept-up Sixties hairstyle.

[​IMG]

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. Whitney herself calls "Dagger of the Mind" and "The Galileo Seven" her "least favourite episodes".

Early script treatments for episodes such as "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "City on the Edge of Forever" presumed that Rand would still be with the show.

3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

To quote a comment on an article profiling the lovely Christina Hendricks, but which applies to Emily Banks as well: "That is what women are supposed to look like."

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

According to an issue of DC Comics first series (the final one, #56, a flasback to TOS), "A Small Matter of Faith", Barrows eventually earned a promotion to lieutenant, and served aboard the USS Defiant, although she was injured and left the vessel before the events chronicled in "The Tholian Web".

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whitney would have been fine as a ride-along in "The Galileo Seven."

"Dagger of the Mind" on the other hand needed a female lead. Maybe GLW would have pulled it off and maybe not, but Marianna Hill was, beyond question, lead material.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

DotM first aired when I was 15. During the air ducts scene, I remember being disappointed Helen was wearing a modesty panel under her uniform. :drool:

7. ZapBrannigan

Oh, you must mean in the bodice. Yeah. At first I thought you were refering to this part of her outfit, where a little modesty is probably for the best:

[​IMG]

According to the anecdotes in INSIDE STAR TREK, this level of hemline was entirely Gene Roddenberry's doing, and William Ware Theiss was (I think rightly) aghast.

8. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Helen's velour seems to have shrunk a bit.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Lead material" as in, you'd follow her through an air shaft?

I agree with the general discussion, BTW. Barrows had a nice combination of timeless good looks and more personality than the next yeoman of the week. It would have been nice to see her again.

10. Melakon

I think the women's uniforms all had color matched knickers. At least Uhura's did.

11. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yes, I remember reading that article many years ago where she stated those scripts were written for Rand and I have little doubt that several of the following were as well.

I guess i am in the minority--I don't think Whitney was that good, but i do wish they had featured more yeoman as the series went on.
    I far prefer how they featured the crew in general in season 1 over the last two.

Season one was the only true ensemble season. showing the same 4 2nd string characters at their familiar stations on the bridge each episode doesn't make a show an 'ensemble'.
    Any more than the black guy in the 'cage' with danny devito on Taxi made him part of an ensemble.

The first 15 episodes of TOS featured the crew at rest, the arboretom, the gym, the rec room, Mcgivers painting, Uhura singing, mentioned a 'bowling alley', the crew watching a play, the crew playing chess, mentioned a thanksgiving dinner, a christmas party---even the briefing room conferences got fewer and farther between.

The crewperson guest players in season one were far more common and important---Riley, Bailey, McGivers, Stiles, Boma, Lt Masters, Kelowitz, DeSalle, Barrows, Finney, Giotto and of course Uhura, Sulu & Chapel's part had actual meat to them instead of "aye, sir warp factor 5" and "hailing frequencies open" and "yes , doctor"

I know i am one of the very few who far prefer this aspect of the show to the "BIG THREE" sparing and arguing and beaming down alone as became more and more prevelant as the show wore on.

How many times in season 3 does the 'landing party' consist of Kirk/Spock/Mccoy ? ugh.

12. The Old Mixer

^Good points. There was definitely more of a sense of life aboard the ship in Season 1.

13. Melakon

Money was obviously a problem, leading to fewer extras. By the third season, we already knew anyone other than Kirk, McCoy and Spock in a landing party was probably going to die in the next 2 minutes. But it's too bad Scott, Sulu, Chekov, or Uhura, or even Chapel and Kyle couldn't have been occasionally in those landing parties.

14. The Old Mixer

"Mr. Kyle...what are you doing down here? Who's manning the transporter!?!"

15. Melakon

"They're writing me out in this episode, Captain, I don't know who's up there!"

16. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wish characters like Sulu, Chekov, Uhura, & Scotty (well Scotty did the best out of them) had more meat to their roles.

But I for one liked when the guest characters roles got reduced. If I am never going to see them again then I can't bring myself to care. So hence my favorite moments were always with the regular characters not the guest ones. And I admit I do have a penchance for the big 3 and their relationship.

I also never cared for the whole yeoman concept either so I am extra glad that was written out.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Well, someone has to fetch, carry, and be the "gopher."

That said, I never liked Rand. Except for a couple of lines in Miri, she seemed pretty superficial. Uhura's only fault was when she would whine about being "frightened."

Of course, there could be another reason Tonia Barrows never got to come back: she's the only crewmember besides Kirk who got to wander around with a ripped uniform. :devil:

18. ZapBrannigan

When Barrows was walking around the Shore Leave planet "thinking all a girl needs is Don Juan," the machinery figured she wanted a sex-bot, and built one. Same with Kirk thinking of Ruth.

At the end of the episode, if you check out their smiles when they enter the bridge, it's easy to infer that they indulged after the Caretaker brought them up to speed. Whether Barrows took up with Don Juan or McCoy, she and the men obviously had an adult vacation.

I think it's more fun the way TOS did it versus TNG. With Kirk and company, the viewer can decide how steamy things got. But when Picard or Tasha Yar went to a pleasure planet, I always felt like we were getting a little too much information.

19. The Old Mixer

Picard's reaction when he realized what the horga'hn was for is one of the most priceless moments in TNG.

20. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Agreed, but it shrank in a very nice way. :drool: