DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No it's not. The major things that made the old version who he was such as the JSA membership and being inspired by the Spectre aren't there anymore. He is an entirely different character because of the reboot.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would be immensely surprised if this "Five Years in the Future" Future's End series was NOT wiped out from true continuity.

There's no way they're going to do this entire series and then tie themselves down to ending up that way five years from now. Not to mention that five years in comic book time equals about three decades in real time.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

This future might be getting changed since the preview I read had Mcginnis talking about how he arrived later than he was supposed too as part of the change the future plan.

4. Hound of UIster

Depends really on how this plays into the CoiE Anniversary Event. Or on the sales for Future's End.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i hate that All Star Western got canceled. gonna miss that book.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was very interested in "Superboy" at the start but dropped it after the first arc. Wasn't really feeling the writing. I'm guessing they are gonna relaunch a version with Lois and Clark's son clone whatever he is?

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This isn't the Nu52 version... the nu52 version has already appeared. In his own series, in World's Finest and in Earth 2. And he didn't behave this way.

Team affiliation and Spectre inspiration aren't the only things that make up a character. Behavior, attitude, what they say, how they say it, those are the things that make up a character.

8. Admiral_Young

Yeah it appears to be a new version of 52'Verse Holt. One different from the one originally introduced at the start of the relaunch.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Living aside the fact that like any alternative future most of this will be ditched:

1) Which earth are the survivors from? Everyone has leaped to the conclusion that it is Earth-2 but are we just meant to think that?

2) Mr. Terrific isn't what he appears I would guess

3) Who's in the Superman outfit?

4) Who's in the bar?

10. Admiral_Young

It seems to me that Future's End is intended to "preview" the Five Years Later time period that will be starting in September. We will see the start of it in September, but Future's End is showing it already established. Also to set up the Crisis event next year as House of UIster mentioned in a previous post. The dystopian future Terry comes from will most likely either be negated or corrected through his actions. Or knowing DC currently...things will get worse than they were and he'll fail and this will spin off yet another event :)

Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. discuss their upcoming run on "Superman".

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52917

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Good interview. They both sound very excited to be working on Superman. I can't wait to see what they've come up with.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  12. Professor Zoom

Yeah, possibly. And more off putting than intriguing.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a good interview.

I admit, I'm not a big Romita fan, but I'm curious about the book and that interview has me intrigued for a couple of reasons.

Romita sounds excited and engaged by the project. That wasn't a feeling I got from Mark Bagley when he had his sabbatical to DC Comics a few years ago.

And Johns sounds like he really wants to push what's possible with Superman. There's been a lot of stories told about this character, and he wants to break new ground.

That's all exciting stuff.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Forever Evil #7: decent ending to what was mainly a misfire. The glacial release schedule really hurt this thing. Given that Trinity War and Forever Evil took place basically over a few days, yet took an entire year to be released, it just really did not flow well. FE really should have been a bi-weekly. They did surprise me with the lead-in to the NEXT crossover though, I thought it was going to be the other guy. Oh, and what Lex learned? THAT shocked me. Can't wait to see where that goes!

JLA #13: this entire series was just a waste. They formed a team, went on a single adventure, then it got destroyed in Trinity War / Forever Evil. It basically existed for the 3 way JL fight of Trinity War and nothing else.

15. Hound of UIster

It's pretty clear I think JLA and Trinity War were both retooled so that they could do Forever Evil and lead into the next Crisis. Loved how Johns played Luthor in Justice League and Forever Evil. Truly the hero everyone deserved.

16. Professor Zoom

Most importantly: Ted Kord.

17. Admiral_Young

Trinity War especially was retooled so they could do Forever Evil. I personally believe that they originally intended Trinity War to be something else entirely and changed their minds at some point (which is fine). I read spoilers for the finale...and it certainly seems that we are on the path to the 52'Verses first Crisis in celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the first one.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

With Red skies, the Anti-Monitor and multiple Earths being mentioned, it's a sure bet.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, basically, Johns is going to re-write his own Infinite Crisis from 2005? :lol: I noticed there's an online video game or something called Infinite Crisis out at the moment.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

DC seems to do this "We need to simplify" every few years but very quickly we are back to multiple earths and multiple versions of characters running around...