‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This Zuckerberg-style Lex Luthor could work very well, but it's going to be incredibly easy to screw up.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Two fine actors join the cast. I see no problems with this.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved Man of Steel.

But I really, really hate Jesse Eisenberg. He's just so smarmy and arrogant. While that is an aspect of Lex, I prefer the Lex who is the hero of his own story, the savoir of the planet or he would be if that damned alien wasn't stealing all his thunder and attention.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Why does everyone assume that actors are only around to reprise their famous roles in new settings? Eisenberg is a talented actor who is capable of doing more than just Zuckerberg, and would probably shave his head for the part. It would be nice to see the movies use Morrison's version of Lex (it could get them a serious Red Bull endorsement) but however Lex is written I am sure that Eisenberg can do it.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So.... Lex Luthor is going to be the same age as Superman? That.... Ugh. This project is just getting more and more... "Eh...." with every new casting announcement.,

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not the kind of Lex that I was expecting. The only movie I've seen Eisenberg in is Zombieland, and I enjoyed him in that. I'm not to worried.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

FWIW, they were the same age in the Silver/Bronze Age comics mythos.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

They were old high school best friends, in fact. How old is Lex in the new 52? It seems like he is a few years older but not too many, sort of like the Smallville Lex.

That said, actors don't have to play their specific age.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I guess, for me, I have only seen Eisenberg play the same type of character over and over, I haven't really seen him play against his type, other types. Always the same. While he's really good at it, I just don't know of any other roles where he has surprised me.

10. Trekker4747

New 52 Lex does seem a few years older, how he was in Smallville. But I dunno this just seems like an odd choice and route to go. I mean it's odd enough that Clark literally did nothing out if high school until he got into his 30s before he a)became Superman b)got his job at The Daily Planet.

But I've always more liked the idea of Lex being a few years older than Superman given he's supposed to be a mega-corporation multi-mill(bill)ionaire and everything. We're talking a leader in multiple industries and dominant force in the world as a single person. Not some kid who made a website in college and got rich off it a few years ago.

I dunno, it's just an odd choice. All of the casting in this has been odd. I really think WB/DC is messing up setting up a DC-CU with skipping individual movies and apparently going straight for a Justice League team-up and making odd casting choices.

I'm not completely off the idea of this but at the same time I'm not very optimistic at this point. Benefit of the doubt to everyone casted it just doesn't strike me as ideal.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

he could be "old money" like he is in Smallville or like Tony Stark is. And like Tony be a science genius who also happens to be rich from inherited wealth.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

My guess is Luthor will be a self-made man who has very quickly accumulated a great deal of wealth and power from his tech genius. That would contrast with the older and old money Bruce Wayne. And I doubt Eisenberg's Luthor will have become rich through an online venture. That would be too on the nose. It's more likely to be applied science inventions.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't sound like this Lex is a 'tech guy' given that we know he's in the oil and construction business.

As far as the casting goes, I think Snyder's a genius. Eisenberg is a very good actor with phenomenal range, and should give us a Lex that's unlike any version of the character we've seen before.

Some people are mad because they'd convinced themselves the role belonged to Joaquin Phoenix, but Eisenberg has far more range than Joaquin, which opens many more doors as far as characterization goes.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He could have diversified his holdings into any number of areas or his tech applications could have been in the oil and construction businesses to start with.

15. Trekker4747

Ummmm.... The guy who until he did "Her" claimed he was quitting acting? Not once did I see anyone say Joaquin Phoenix should be Luther. Hell, that's a terrible idea.

And if Eisenberg is a great actor with range I've yet to see it. He's a good actor, don't get me wrong, but I can't say I've seen any great range from him other than being "there" and pretty much playing "himself.'

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Lex & Clark will be friends or Lex will try to gain Kal El's friendship but by the end of MoS II will be enemies. :shrug:

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

While I think Eisenberg can deliver an interesting take on Luthor, Phoenix has shown more range as an actor in my opinion, and could have made a great Lex Luthor.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With his age I'd say this lex could be groomed to take over his fathers oil company

We can guess he took over pretty recently since lexcorp is already established

Maybe the Luthors swindled people out of....get ready for it

Land

*ducks*

To get their oil

19. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be about the tech. The land thing was done by Zod in MoS! :p

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Of course it is. Idris Elba is the only one who can play Luther.