Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The man is not afraid to rock a skirt. You have to respect him for that.

2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I believe a skirt is a separate piece of clothing, he is wearing a tunic.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

For my part, the first pick makes me think of Arrested Development.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

As far as I remember, it was Roy Thomas who first mentioned it in the mid-70s. And it's certainly possible that it was more subconscious than deliberate on Stan and Jack's part, but the powers do line up pretty well: Reed was reaching for the stars, Sue has her protective instincts, Johnny is the hothead, and Ben is a big lug.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Reed's the smart guy. The big brain. Getting to the stars is just one project, not who he is. The phrase works a metaphor for his intelligence, but not his shapshifting/malleability. Sue's force field is a later addition, not her original power. Turning invisible doesn't say protective in that sense. It says stealth or supernatural or even scared.. Johnny isn't really a hot head. He the smartass. The practical joker. Ben's more prone to losing his temper than than Johnny. Ben might be the only one were his personality translates to his powers. He's a tough guy who became literally tougher.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I liked the Corman FF movie, but what those costumes mainly demonstrate is why comic book designs almost always need to be reworked extensively for use in live-action (unless the intent of the movie is to be funny). Doom's mask in the Corman movie is cool, but other than that - no.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There are always exceptions.
    [​IMG]

8. Ol' Scratch

Ol' Scratch Lieutenant Junior Grade

I still don't get the race changes. Is Sue supposed to be adopted or something? Or are we just supposed to be color-blind despite the absurdity of it?

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That picture cracks me up, looks like a sitcom or something.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's not a real pic. It's a shot from Rise of the Silver Surfer and someone has poorly photoshopped the Corman versions into it.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I guess we'll find out. But since Sue and Johnny's dad is black, I'm thinking the latter.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It is from 1994--somebody should use clips from the movie to do a Friends-style opening credits scene...

13. Christopher

First off, this is standard procedure now. It started with Eartha Kitt as Catwoman nearly half a century ago, then Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent in 1989, then Dean Cain (who's half-Japanese) as Superman in 1993, and it's been done in almost every superhero adaptation of this millennium, from Kristin Kreuk to Samuel L. Jackson to Laurence Fishburne to Idris Elba to countless others. It's disingenuous at this point to pretend there's anything unusual or surprising about it. This is normal now. Deal with it.

Second, there's nothing remotely "absurd" about biracial families; they're very commonplace. Or didn't you notice that the United States has a biracial president? Yes, the movie's Sue Storm is adopted, and there's nothing strange about that.

14. Ol' Scratch

Ol' Scratch Lieutenant Junior Grade

First, I'm pretty sure Kate Mara, the actress playing Susan Storm, isn't black. In fact, she's about as white as white can get. So I don't know why you're ranting on about Eartha Kitt or Billy Dee Williams.

And yes, I actually did ask if she was supposed to be adopted because the trailer certainly doesn't say as much. They just show Reg Cathey introducing his daughter, then we see Kate Mara. Hence asking about the possible absurdity of the audience just having to be politically correct and assuming his biological daughter is a different race if she -wasn't- adopted (which is until otherwise stated a safe assumption for anyone familiar with the franchise; Sue Storm is not described as being adopted in any other mainstream version of the character).

And no, I didn't say there was anything wrong with biracial families. But hey, way to jump on the "I must get outraged at something!!!" bandwagon. I just asked a question, but thanks for trying to be a white knight over absolutely nothing.

15. Mr. Adventure

To an extent, yes. It is a deviation from the comics though which merits some curiosity no matter how normal or not the situation may be in the real world.

16. Christopher

^Curiosity is one thing. Calling it "absurd" is another. I mean, really, this is a story about a guy who can stretch his body and a woman who can turn invisible and project force fields and a guy who turns into rock and a guy who can set himself on fire and fly around, but Sue being adopted is absurd?

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Jesus Christ. So siblings in a family are of different racial backgrounds; not only is this not remarkable or in any way "absurd," but it doesn't call for any explanation or reference in the movie at all.

When you meet people IRL do you expect "explanations" for anything about their families that doesn't jibe with your preconceptions?

What, it's not like the comic? Could be that it's because this isn't an issue of the comic.

18. Mr. Adventure

I think it's bullshit, everyone notices when a character is cast like this. Some will point out how great it is that the casting is more inclusive, others will call it out as political correctness gone mad, others won't really care but it's noticeable and noticed.

I know when I saw Johnny my first thought was I wonder how they'll explain this. I later concluded I really didn't care in the end. But again, to act like people didn't notice is to me disingenuous.

I'm sure most of you guys are tired about talking it at this stage but we've been following this for a while whereas others may be just seeing it. Then again, no one has to respond every time it's brought up, leave it hanging if you think it doesn't merit discussion and ignore it like people are supposed to ignore the sibling situation. As Michael B. Jordan has responded, "They'll see it anyways.".

19. Christopher

No, what's disingenuous is acting surprised every single damn time it happens. Sam Jackson has been playing Nick Fury for seven years now, and everyone who pays any attention to superhero movies at all is surely aware of that. It's hard to find a comics-based project from this millennium that hasn't cast a nonwhite actor in an originally white role.

So it's long past time people just admitted that this is normal now. There's no going back to the unjustly white-dominated casts of comics from the '40s and the '60s. This will be the way it happens for the rest of our lives, and it should be, because whites have already had their turn in the sandbox and it's long past time everyone got to play. So there's no point in making an issue about it anymore, because it's not going away, any more than women's suffrage or school desegregation or gay marriage is going away. There comes a time when you just have to face the fact that the debate is over and one side won.

20. Mr. Adventure

OK, then from now on never make a post when you noticed a role was cast with a different race. After all, it's not surprising, so don't ever mention it again.

BTW, from earlier in this thread: