Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I am sorry, but you leaving after even losing a single freighter and not getting a perfect result makes you the kind of player I have absolutly no desire to play with.
    It makes you very antisocial.
    Sure someone made a mistake, but you deliberately screw up the entire mission for 4 other people! Think about that.
    Why are you even playing the queues at all if you are in a 400 people fleet?
    Anyway, playing the queues means accepting that not everything will always go pitch perfect.

2. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

trust me feeling is mutual.

And for being anti-social, perhaps, I am more of get the job done well or don't bother doing it. If I explain things to the team before the mission and they mess up, i.e do not stick to the team and help out, but instead do their own thing, I am out of there.

It is waste of my time, I'd rather be doing something else than waste it on some dimwit who can't follow a simple rule.

And btw every senior player I've come across does the same, if he/she is stuck in a team of noobs, they rather take 1 hour penalty than waste their time.

And to reply to your Que question, I need fleet marks, I do not offer lessons in how to play the game, I'll help fleet teammates with credits, consoles and stuff, give them briefing on how to play each mission if we are doing a mission, or fleet event, but the fact that I had to learn this game on my own, especially after coming back from a year absence.

Reason why I left TrekBBS fleet was cause of inactivity and lack of help in the fleet, I was on my own every time I played STO, and you'd come in with your stupid player challenges (very immature thing considering I was a noob) and trying to prove something how superior player you're.

That thing really pissed me off, one of the reasons why I left, couldn't stand your nonsense anymore, and put you on my ignore.

Star Trek online is a game, but there are limits how far you can go before you piss off other players with your nonsense my limit was when I left the fleet.

Just so we set the records straight.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Elite channel is your best bet if you want to complete these stf and fleet events......i use them but i still enjoy pugs now and again simply for the sheer fun factor that they can sometimes have....rolling that dice you never know who you will get. lol

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

KINDA agree, but you're taking it way too far. The kind of player that quits a STF if the optional isn't working out, screwing the rest of the group completely. Especially when the optional reward is crap, and the only reason to grind these things anyway is for the random number generator at the end. So you can see why people are upset when someone screws over their team and ragequits over something so trivial in the first place?

No argument there, which is why I don't generally join PUG groups in the first place. Join the EliteSTF channel, or the Fleet Event equivalent, and get paired up with people that know which end of the phaser to hold. pairing yourself up with newbies, and then getting butthurt over them PLAYING like newbies is insane. You might get lucky with your group, but you're rolling the dice.

Again, why are all these senior players in PUG queues to begin with? I don't get into those lines unless I'm bored, and then know the risks. You're in a super-active, totally awesome fleet that does nothing but help each other, available 24/7, why the hell are you in the PUG queue? Shouldn't you have people always ready to run these with you?

You mean, the thing you just bitched Timelord (and the rest of us) out for not doing? That's the thing you're too L33T to help out with? Not saying you gotta spend your time teaching, but if you are playing with noobs to begin with, gotta have more patience, and if you help them understand the deal, they'll usually try and help. Some are just 'tards that ignore team chat completely, but can't be helped.

And now you've randomly moved on to personal insults? Huh? Not the most active fleet, but know I've always tried to help out when people are on, and always send out invites for fleet events or STFs when I'm on. No idea where you're coming from with the 'stupid player challenges' thing. Do stuff or don't, no one's making you do anything. Also free to start your OWN events if you see a gap you want to fill. whining after the fact is less productive, and can't say I've seen Timelord do any of that stuff anyway.

And again, participate where you like, ignore what you don't. If people are roleplaying and you wanna do STFs, just skip it and set up a STF run, don't stomp your feet.

Glad you came in here to make sure you trashed us all, in between bouts of asking us to check out your builds and provide feedback. Why bother, if we're a bunch of toolbags in the first place, and you're so great? Doing a lot of posting in here considering how much we all suck...

5. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    So, to summarize, you wish to:

1) Engage in behavior that causes you to encounter a problem.
    2) Make no attempt to improve the situation.
    3) Make it harder for others involved to attempt to improve the situation.
    4) Complain about the problem here, and brag about your actions.

'k.

6. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

I was replying to Timelord, w.e

He brought up things I just expanded bit on why I left TrekBBs fleet. As to how active you are w/e its totally irrelevant to me now, I am no longer part of that fleet, as to my build I did that few weeks ago as I only re-started my star trek online gaming, so I was still way behind on things, and since this is a star trek online forum, I've asked for help with issues, no the TrekBBS fleet, but STO players here. And TL was rather annoying way back than, he'd invite me to some stupid player challenge PVP when I was in the middle of my mission, i'd decline first ,he'd come 2nd time 5-10 min later and i'd reply in the middle of something than he'd come 3rd time, I tolerated that for few weeks, but it really did piss me off and so among many other things i left.

I did appreciate when help was there when I needed it and I did help the fleet with loads of stuff, adding credits, consoles and stuff, so I wasn't inactive in TrekBBs fleet, problem was I the only active player there it seemed to me at least.

PS, Anyways, I'll continue to play Star Trek Online, but my contribution to this thread and this section of the forum has come to an end. I am Star Trek fan thus ill post on other forum sections when I feel like contributing, but from this moment on I' shall desist from posting here. If I could I'd delete all my posts here.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Mic, am sorry things didn't work out for you. Thanks for agreeing to not post in this thread for a bit, which will help calm folks down. Hope everybody else is ok with that?

8. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I just wanna play Star Trek! :cool:

9. Timelord Victorious

Meh, it's looking more and more liek cashing in the STF items is teh way to go...

newest blog informs us that Cryptic is looking the converted items away until you reach Tier 5 Omega Reputation.

10. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I mostly like the new system, since I don't grind Elite STF's, but that's just weird. Unless you also use the rep and new borg commodity (why not just keep EDC's? they sound like pretty much the same thing, but more macabre:borg:) to buy gear, you're going to want to use this stuff to tier up. I could understand that they might not want to flood the market...except, there is no market. All the STF stuff is bind-on-pickup, as far as I'm aware; only the dil rewards can be traded for anything (I guess you could vendor it for EC, but why?).

Don't like that it looks like it will take idle time, in addition to grinding. That works for doff missions only because that is the only things doffs do.

Interesting to note that fleet projects were balanced for 25 players. I wonder if that means active, contributing players only - that would explain a lot.

11. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Probably for 25 active players, each playing for the "average" time they mention in the blog post.

System seems fine to me, but it's baffling that they are going to box anything you don't spend until the 5th tier of reputation. Okay, not baffling, because they want to provide an incentive for players to actually contribute to the system. They're basically holding all that salvage, tech and EDCs hostage to get the player to use the reputation system.

But it IS disappointing they would use that tactic. That said, for the players who've maxed out their gear, the lower tiers probably won't have anything of value anyway. It looks like tiers 1 and 2 are Mark X, tiers 3 and 4 are Mark XI and tier 5 is Mark XII, unless I've misunderstood the blog.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I spent my EDCs to grab some Omega gear for my ship. I figure it's better than waiting for a conversion that might screw me over.

13. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I actually traded in almost everything already. I wanted the dilithium.

14. Briquettes

Briquettes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being one of the very casual players mentioned in the blog, I don't have enough EDCs/tech to worry about being screwed in the conversion. All I care about is that I can finally get the MK XII ground sets without actually doing ground STFs.

I seriously hate ground STFs.

15. Timelord Victorious

The sad thing is most of us will continue playing STFs one way or the other anyway.

One thing that is true, is that the system does offer new rewards in addition to the old stuff.

So we naturally are going to want that.

The new passives and captain powers are a very good incentive to level up the reputation.

But I could have spent the time doing different stuff for a change, since I got a lot of the equivalent value already to fill out the projects...

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Direct from Dan Stahl's mouth, err.. fingertips?

I see two core issues here.

1) Overall decrease in dilithium rewards.
    Even with the increase to dilithium rewards in Fleet Actions and the "Omega fleet project" to convert marks into dilithium, there's still an overall decrease in the amount of dilithium we can earn.

At the same time, they've added dilithium as a requirement for a lot of stuff that previously didn't require dilithium. Stuff like duty officers, end game MACO/Omega/Honor Guard gear. There's also a dilithium requirement in practically every starbase AND personal reputation project.

2) Fleet Actions are not fun
    They still won't be fun even with the new dilithium rewards. The worst of the fleet actions are Gorn Minefield, Klingon Scout Force and Gekii Feeding Grounds. All we do in these fleet action is move around destroying hundreds of starships for an hour. They're so boring I've dozed off while playing them. Even Cryptic pays me real money, I won't play them.

17. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I wonder if they're going to get rid of the 8k dil refining cap, or at least raise it, now that there will actually be stuff to spend it on besides zen. That would make all this a lot more palatable.

18. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I know this probably doesn't need to be said, but I recommend everyone grinds all the dilithium and doffs they can prior to season 7. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. Timelord Victorious

You know what?
    This is a good opportunity to re-evaluate your investment into STFs.
    Are you doing them because you like doing them? Or are you doing them because you need to and are capable of doing so only?

I am starting to look forward to playing other stuff again like foundry missions and the occasional fleet action.

Of course I already have my Mk XII sets on my main and a very powerful ship, so...

On a side note: It got drowned in the whole mega thread about the recent blog, but dstahl has spoiled something that was intended as a surprise apparently. Not even branflakes knew of this:

There will be a space part to go along with Into the Hive. Apparently it just won't be called Into the Hive.
    It will involve players fighting the Queen's diamond ship.

20. Briquettes

Briquettes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree 100%. I hope the new foundry spotlight rewards are enough to entice people to play them. There are many foundry missions that put Cryptic's content to shame, yet few players take advantage of it for lack of a shiny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.