THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Moodib

Moodib Lieutenant Red Shirt

Great movie, i saw it 3 times in theaters and the best of the Marvel films this year.

Did anyone felt it was like a retro style throwback to the 80's fantasy epics like Willow, Krull, Clash of the Titans, Conan movies, Fire and Ice etc.? i think that is what they were aiming at.

A for me.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ People in thread have brought up that it reminded them visually of "Masters of the Universe" I'm sure those other examples have been brought up as well.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Johnny Depp's Lone Ranger pushes Thor 2 back, now to open November instea of May '13.
    This could very well be a win-win. With more Thor,Cap and Avengers + more Marvel characters on the launching block for solo films summer was going to get too crowded anyway. Thor should perform well in this Holiday season slot as well, pre-Thanksgiving thru New Years would still allow for lots of long weekends to perform well at the box office.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Lovely. Thor is delayed so that Johnny Depp can play himself once again in a movie that no one was asking for.

6. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I for one was screaming for a CGI western film staring a lizard voiced by Depp.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched the movie tonight. I thought it was a fun adventure picture (even if a good hour of the film had our hero wandering around New Mexico). Although, after thinking about the movie, there were a couple of very stupid things that pop up.

I am very unfamiliar with the Thor comics, and I don't know if this has been addressed already (sorry, I really don't want to wade through 50+ pages), but in the movie Loki is apparently a frost giant. How come he looks like a human/Asgardian? I know there was that quick scene of Loki looking "frosty", but if the Frost Giants can look "human", why not infiltrate Asgard that way?

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ These aren't the droids you're looking for, man.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think Odin put a spell on Loki that hid his appearance.

And also, Loki was small for a Frost Giant, which made it easier for him to think he was an Asgardian. I think he's only half-frost giant even in the movies (his mom being some other species Laufey slept with).

10. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

I gave it a "B." It was certainly a lot better than I had any right to expect. I'm not huge on the Marvel films except for the Ironman movies.

11. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the comics the Frost Giants look the same as the Asgardians. They're just bigger. How much bigger depends on who's doing the artwork, but at least twice the size. The biggest I can remember seeing is about 5 times larger.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What's especially nice about the Marvel movies is how they all tie together to form a cohesive universe. Stuff from this film ties to Captain America, Captain America explains stuff from Incredible Hulk and the Iron Man films, etc.

13. Captain Craig

With the night of terror and unknown demons let loose on the 9 Realms Thor and the Lady Sif protected the hallowed gates of Asgard with chocolate, caramel nutty goodness!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it was in The Avengers movie lead up thread I mentioned Black Widow was possible, but as you can see she opted for Lady Sif.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

why is Lady Sif wearing her shield as a breastplate?

15. Captain Craig

She's not, just holding it high as if deflecting an attack.

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I got around to watching this and Captain America, and I definitely liked this better out of the two. There were stretches of Cap that I found dull and uninteresting. Thor was hopelessly silly but I was never bored.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I originally liked Captain America more, but after finally seeing both movies a second time, I think Thor is probably the better of the two.

Neither will ever go on my Favorite Superhero Movies list, but Thor at least had a real spirit of FUN to it. Cap looked great, but was just never as fun or exciting as I wanted it to be.

18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

One thing I liked is that Thor actually had a character arc. Cap really didn't. His personality didn't seem to change at all through the course of the film--he just changed physically, once he got the serum, which let him do all the good deeds he'd wanted to do all along. Thor had to learn humility and selflessness. I don't think Cap learned much of anything. I don't consider that a fatal flaw, but it did hurt my interest in the film.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It may not have been as pronounced as Thor's, but he did have a minor arc in coming to terms with his newfound sexual desirability...

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I disagree with that, I think Steve Rogers grew up in the movie it's as much a coming of age story as a heroes' journey. After Bucky's "death" he really changed and became a full adult after losing one of his oldest friends. Thor and Tony Stark needed to learn humility, Stark was a cocky womanizer and Thor was a brash arrogant warrior, but Cap as you noted remained the man he was I agree with that.