Thoughts on Penny - "Dead is Dead" spoilers

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Morpheus 02, Apr 9, 2009.

?

Was Penny's fate (so far) good?

1. Glad she's alive, and it works for the story.

70.2%
  2. Glad she's alive, but story-wise, she should have died.

6.4%
  3. No opinion

8.5%
  4. Disappointed she's alive; doesn't work for the story

2.1%
  5. Disappointed she's alive, but not sure what would work better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. i'll let you know after Lost has ended its entire run.

12.8%
  1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we find out in this episode that Ben wasn't able to complete his mission of killing Penny (or Desmond, for that matter).

I know some were expecting her to die, but as a fan favorite many wanted Penny to live.

So did that work for you, story wise? Or did you wish the writers did something different?

2. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

It's still possible that he killed her, or Charlie, but I guess we won't know for sure for a while.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that Penny and Charlie will live, Desmond however, sadly i feel like he'll be the one to bite the bullet, well bleed out. Unless something does happen after Ben climbs out of the water. Because Locke said he was favoring his arm or shoulder, and he said somebody else did it to him and not Sun. So something had to have happened after that point and before he makes it on the plane.

4. Morpheus 02

So far...nearly everyone seems happy with what happened with Penny....nobody thought it was contrived at all...?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I thought it was somewhat contrived, but I never seriously thought that Penny would die. Too many of the show's fans are sentimental about Desmond/Penny for the writers to seriously contemplate killing her. (Unless the "death" is like Locke's death, where it's only temporary.) The show just isn't dark enough for them to try to pull something like that off.

6. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Penny isn't a child of the island like Alex. It was Alex's destiny to die, which was only delayed.

7. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, obviously Alex (born ON the island) is not a "child of the island" like Locke (NOT born on the island) is.

Locke was resurrected, Alex wasn't.

As for Penny, Ben's not killing her shows a continuity in his character--having lost his mother, he does not want to inflict that pain on another child.

I like Penny and Des. If Des is special to the island (it's laws don't apply to him), then maybe his kid is also special to the island?

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad she's alive - I don't really think she has that much of a direct role in the story from this point on, but for Ben to have murdered her is too dastardly. Ben needs to maintain a good/evil tension.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that - is everyone who is born on the island doomed to a violent end?

9. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Felt in part that Penny not dying was a bit of a cop out by the writers too scared to do something as dark as that. But when the scene was being handled at this stage I figured Ben mustn't kill her because of the whole judgement thing and that if they were going to go through with killing her it would happen in the season finale.

Probably fitting that she doesn't die because when you think about it, if the Island has a purpose so far much of its purpose leads to people dying. You'd wonder what's worth saving for all that.

Mind, nothing to say he doesn't try again.

10. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

PS Love the option I'll let you know when the entire show has run. :lol: How very true.

11. Morpheus 02

Thanks!

there a few reasons why someone would choose it

1) WHile it may seem like a good choice at the time, in the end, Penny's suriviving may be a dumb thing

2) The opposite...this may seem like a cop-out or lame writing, but may actually have significance later

or

3) It's a cop out for the fans...so they don't have to decide on something they may turn out to be wrong later.

12. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Killing Penney would have been bad, IMHO. I thought it was great that Desmond kicked Ben's ass and sent him packing.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm glad she lived. She's hot.

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad she's alive, but I wanted it to be her who kicked Ben's ass.

15. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I wonder how Desmond's character might have changed had Penny been murdered? I think he'd have degenerated into a vengeful one-note character like Michael, which would have been a shame.

"PEEEEEEENNNNNN!"
    "He killed my wife!"
    "He killed my bird!"

"But he killed my Penny!"
    etc.

:lol:

16. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I'm so glad Penny's not dead. It took such a long time for her and Desmond to find each other again, after everything they'd been through. I realise that killing her off would have made sense in regards to Ben's story, and would have packed an emotional wallop, but this is one time I thought death may have been a bit cruel on the fans.

17. Morpheus 02

Hmm...anyone able to get this over to the acotrs who play Penny & Desmond...i think they'd be pleased to see how they, and their character's story, have become so endeared to us...

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

This.