So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Battle of Betazed, which I enjoyed... I think I'm going to fill in some of the other TNG I've missed before moving on to the VOY relaunch. So Gemworld, Genesis Wave, and Maximum Warp are up next I guess. :D

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the Battle of Betazed. It's nice to see a book about tell the story about what the Enterprise crew was up to during the Dominion war. The Gem world books are interesting. Reginald Barclay is featured in both books.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Had some decent time to read this weekend and got 2/3 through the first of the three Myriad Universe novella collections, having previously read the second collection a few months ago. Now i'm on Chris Roberson's Brave New World. I'm enjoying these stories. It'd be cool if a few full-length novels were written (like David Mack's Mirror Universe books), or even a few more of these collections. I'd buy more :)

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read three books this month:

14 by Peter Clines - it's about a mysterious apartment complex. There are some great characters, but there are also some weirdly dated references and in-jokes that probably won't play well 10 years from now.

Jaws - It's the new girlfriend's favorite book so I thought I'd check it out. It's good despite some Desperate Housewives material in the middle of the book. There are some tense moments when the shark appears.

The Alien Years by Robert Silverberg - An alien invasion novel where the humans don't have much of a resistance. My first time reading Silverberg and I was pretty impressed. I hear that this is one of his worst, so I'm intrigued.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Myriad Universe books have great stories. I really like them a lot. I wish they'd come out with more novels.I Started reading Falling Moon by Jack McDevitt this story seems likeit would be a movie they'd have on the scifi channel.

6. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

My latest find is "The Martian" by Andy Weir. It depicts the logs of an astronaut stranded on Mars when his expedition must leave suddenly and think that he has perished. Very well thought out and highly entertaining.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah that book is awesome.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Seekers: Point of Divergence by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore.

I then read the Firefly/Serenity comic Those Left Behind.

I'm now reading Stargate SG-1: Ouroboros by Melissa Scott.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I just recently finished reading Roman Blood by Steven Saylor. It's the first book in his series about Gordianus the Finder, an investigator in 1st century BC Rome.

Now I'm reading Hounded, book one of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.

10. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

Glad to see that they fixed some of that in Greater than the sum, I am about 50% of the way through Before dishonour and don't like the characterisation of some. I will finish it off though as I know the whole borg theme will follow through to the Destiny trilogy and GTTS is my next book but 1 (possibly I have not yet decided whether to do Articles of the Federation as I have planned to read before Destiny) after Sword of Damocles to break up TNG from Titan a bit.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I saw that a couple of weeks ago and immediately thought "isn't this just Robinson Crusoe On Mars?" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058530/) - the cover even fucking says "Sci fi meets Robinson Crusoe" - probably with a bit of Moon in there too, I suppose. I'm *amazed* they haven't been sued.

12. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I received parts 2 and 3 of the Star Trek Ongoing series 'Q-Gambit.'

Very interesting!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Q's purpose of sending Kirk, well, 'forward' in time as the series progresses.

13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just started Acts of Contrition this morning.

14. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm halfway through VOY: Full Circle in my read through of the post-nemesis books. This book is simply outstanding. I'm not even a big voyager fan, but this has to be the best trek book ive read in a long time. And you guys have said it only gets better from here on out with the voyager books?

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Unworthy is excellent but a little bumpy, but every book after that is better than either of the first two. For real.

16. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

I am finished with Before Dishonour, Don't know whether to wait a few days so I can read Q are cordially univited since I have read it goes in-between BD and Greater than the sum or to read Sword of Damocles next.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

John Vornholt's Buffy novel Coyote Moon was a quickie. I normally like his Trek books, but this was kind of skippy and off-balance, though he gets the dialogue dynamic OK. I think my dissatisfaction with it is because it's such an early one (only the second Buffy book) that neither author, editor, nor publishers seem quite sure what will fly yet - and this is exacerbated by reading it so long after the series developed and ended.

It's also odd that in the omnibus editions (I read it in Volume 1) they have this and the third book, then a longer one from about a decade later, while the very first book, Halloween Rain, is held over to Volume 2... (and the cover design is clearly aiming for the post-Twilight market)

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've decided to continue my Myriad Universe's read through with the third volume of novellas, Shattered Light. Currently reading DRG3's The Embrace of Cold Architects. Enjoying it so far :techman:

20. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Since my last post I have finished the Vanguard novels, caught up on Seekers, and I just finished A Burning House by Keith R.A. DeCandido. I thought I had read the latter when I went through the other Gorkon novels, but apparently I missed that one. I'm glad I didn't!

Vanguard was great.

Seekers is pretty fun so far, I'm looking forward to the next one!

There are many things I liked about A Burning House. In general, Klingons are portrayed as pretty one, maybe two-dimensional. This novel puts a lot of meat on their bones. Socio-economics, inner passions (besides ****ing and fighting), as well as a bunch of other stuff I should have noted down while I was reading, but mistakenly trusted my memory to remember. I think these characters are some of the most memorable in the Trek novel-verse, and I hope to see them around for a long time.

The opera and KPE elements of the story were great, doctors and performers are Klingons we don't hear much about. I think B'Oraq is a great character . I would have loved to read about G'Joth whipping the primadonna out of Kenni. Goran's role in this novel is entertaining and masterfully woven into the overall plot. He's the biggest and strongest, but also a subtle plot element that strengthens the story.

You do a great job with Klingons, Keith, and you're a great storyteller. I assume there's at least one more novel in the line that I need to search for on Amazon, as some of the plot threads were left loose after this one. The Klingon novels are exactly what I look for when I pick up a Trek book. Entertaining, fast paced, eventful, and they put a new polish on universal truths within the established (and I imagine somewhat restrictive) Trek universe. All of these novels could easily make a TV series or movie, the imagery is pretty vivid.