NFL Offseason '14: Wake me up when minicamps start

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

The Texans had an excellent draft. The new coach is building up the trenches. We got the best blocking TE in the draft, who can actually catch some. Trading up into the 3rd we got Nix. If either Nix or Clowney end up needing a double team then JJ Watts is going to crazy on you. We're going to have a hellacious front to our defense.

Since we don't have a QB worth a shit on our team now, we also won't be scoring many points. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all. LOL

2. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

Right. I'm saying that morally, we shouldn't let teams off the hook if they're going to not draft people because of the fear of a media circus generated by their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Yes, it's something the team will have to deal with. But a GM/owner who doesn't draft a guy over that should be ashamed of himself, IMHO.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Sam right now projects along the same lines as Jamal Reynolds, who will go down in history as Ron Wolf's final first-round draft pick for the Packers (and an inexplicable one, at that) -- undersized for the position and his peripherals aren't screaming "monster DE." At his height he might have been able to project as an elephant end, but he doesn't have the frame to put on the muscle to just bull-rush all over the field.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I was actually happy about the Raiders draft this year. Getting Khalil Mack is just what our defense needs and might save Dennis Allen's job. Liked our second pick, Derek Carr, too. Feeling good.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not so sure that will be a good thing long-term for the Raiders.

6. gblews

Definetly agree.

7. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll be nice when the world gets to that point.

8. Spider

My apologies if you are a Raiders fan. I wouldn't have wished Schaub on anyone.

9. gblews

Heh, heh, yeah I know. I'm just hoping that a change in scenery might get him back on track. These things are usually more miss than hit, but in our situation, he is worth the gamble.

10. Spider

Schaub has never been the same after his last foot injury. He was always kind of immobile, but a good system QB who threw for a lot of yards and TDs. Of course he had Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels in their primes to throw to. But then his foot injury combined with our O line going to shit, and he just sucked horribly.

If his foot is actually healed now, and his head is OK after last years disaster, he might be OK. As has been said, and I find this fitting, he replaced a Carr in Houston only to be eventually replaced by a Carr in Oakland. LOL

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Brandon Marshall signs a 3 year extension worth $40 million.

Story

Worth it? He's at the top of his game at the moment, can he keep it up another (now) 4 years?

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Elite receivers like Marshall (who projects in the Moss / Carter / Rice category at this point) can last well into their 30s. The hip surgeries are my main concern, but it's not an overpay -- three-year extension, but they can easily cut him after year 2 if they have to for cap reasons. Briggs is on a retirement contract, same as Tillman, and they don't have to pay Jeffery until after this coming season. I haven't been sold on Emery as GM, but this offseason has been pretty much perfect, outside of the retention of Mel Tucker.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I didn't want to start a whole thread just for this, but I did want to share, and this seemed like the right place...

So my wife and I have been in Las Vegas for the past few days. Today I got the chance to meet one of my all-time sports heroes:

[​IMG]

He was doing a signing at Field of Dreams in the Caesar's Forum Shops.

I look like crap (it's been a rough few days... :techman:) but what thrill to meet the Tyler Rose himself. Very nice guy. I got to sit and chat with him for about 10 minutes.

One funny thing was when I talked to him about the time he destroyed the Rams' Isiah Robertson:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9y_KZwOq9g[/yt]

Earl said with his trademark slow, Southern drawl:

"Now, now...we just bumped into each other a little bit..."

:lol:

A very cool afternoon indeed.

:techman:

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

^ That is awesome man. Cool opportunity.

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm done with Sean Lee. The guy is made of glass. Good player but just can't stay on the field.

16. gblews

Just too damn funny. And at the time, isaiah was a pretty good linebacker. But I think he was used to guys crumpling at first contact. Surprise!

If I had film of myself getting run over like that, even by one of the best backs in history, I would NEVER watch it. I'd love to hear what Isaiah says about that hit today.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

By the looks of it, he probably doesn't remember it...

In Campbell's My Life documentary, Dan Pastorini said he looked down at Robertson (whose nickname was "Butch") and said "How'd you like that, Butch?" (or something close to that).

It was a real thrill to meet him. I told him he'd probably heard it a million times, but I was a 12 year old watching Monday Night Football, Dolphins at the Oilers...and I became a fan for life. Back then, the idea of an RB so big and so fast was pretty much unheard of.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Andy Dalton, 6 years, $115 million extension. What the hell? :eek:

19. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same concept as Flacco, Cutler, and Romo getting their monster contracts.... they's nothing overly amazing, but someone else will overpay that player if their current team doesn't.

20. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

As a Steeler fan, I can't say I'm dissappointed. :devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.