60th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards: Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by AstroSmurf, Sep 19, 2008.

1. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the discussion thread for The 60th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards.

[​IMG]

The 2008 Emmy Show will be televised on Sunday, September 21 and hosted by the reality show host nominees Tom Bergeron, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel, Jeff Probst and Ryan Seacrest.

[​IMG]

With awards presented by Christina Applegate, Candice Bergen, David Boreanaz, Wayne Brady, Lauren Conrad, Marcia Cross, Dana Delany, America Ferrera, Tina Fey, Laurence Fishburne, Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Felicity Huffman, Jimmy Kimmel, Hugh Laurie, Eva Longoria Parker, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere, William Petersen, Amy Poehler, Nicollette Sheridan, Kiefer Sutherland and Vanessa Williams.

For more information about the nominations and the awards please visit the Official Website for The Primetime Emmy Awards.

[​IMG]

So what do you think of the nominations? What do you think of this year’s historic host choices? And what will you think of the winners? We want to know! So feel free to bitch, nag, gush, complain or rave about everything right here. But which ever you decide to do just remember to have fun!

2. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything to get the f****r Seacrest on TV. :rolleyes: This five host thing is doomed to fail.

Especially without the adorable and terribly good looking Phil Keoghan. How your show wins Best Reality Show Emmy's every bloody year but you're not nominated for Best Reality Show Host is beyond me.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's the worst host idea I've ever heard of. Wow. I almost want to not watch it now.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, that's a terrible host line up. I think I'll pass.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

HURRAY for Emmys finally recognizing Dexter and Michael C. Hall. BOO when they both lose (as I fear they will). :klingon: Lost would also be a worthy winner but if Mad Men wins...grr...

BOO for still no noms for BSG as Best Drama or for any of the actors, especially Mary McDonnell who reportedly came close. BOO for no Best Comedy noms for Pushing Daisies or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

These are the categories I'll be rooting for the hardest:

Best Actor, Drama: Michael C. Hall

Best Actress, Drama: Glenn Close

Best Supporting Actor, Drama: Michael Emerson

Best Drama: Dexter, just slightly over Lost

And of course John Adams in all the categories its nominated for, but it hardly needs my help, miniseries being a very weak category overall.

The hosts? Dexter, get the chainsaw. :evil:

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually love all of the host choices, with the obvious exception of Seacrest, whom I could very happily do without. Probst is my favorite and I hope he does well. I hope they all do well and I am interested in seeing how the concept plays out.

7. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I always enjoyed watching award shows. That being said, it seems like nowadays the obscure shows/actors end up winning.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope I'm watching Football during this. I can't say I'm much interested in the Emmys this year, and frankly, other than a few shows, I can't say I'm much interested in the new season either. Just bring on Amazing Race, Survivor, and Heroes and I'll be set.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Along with my BSG and The Wire getting almost nothing, I'll too be passing.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Is Heroes up for anything this year?

11. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinbg of the Hill is up for outstanding animated program for programming less than an hour.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  12. AstroSmurf

I am not all that happy with the hosting choices this year either. But I do like Heidi Klum so it won't be all that bad. However, Ryan Seacrest has got to go. That ridiculous plastic himbot is driving me insane. Hit it with a hammer!

As for the show, I think most of America has become disenchanted with rich, overly privileged entertainers constantly stroking their own egos. I relish it when someone is recognized for their artistic merit but that happens so few and far between these days. If the Emmy's were concerned about that than Dexter and Pushing Daisies would be so loaded down with noms they would have had to rename it "The Dex and PD Awards Show". I just think awards shows have simply lost the original intent with all of the hoopla, media frenzy, advertising and marketing tie-ins. And most television and movies have become retreads of something else as it is, I am shocked they have awards to give out. Shouldn't they be doling out statues to the folks who did it first or are all of them dead now? And they wonder why so many people are switching off and doing something else these days...

But enough of my grousing. I am waiting patiently for tonight so that I can spend a few hours making snarky/bitchy comments about everything. That is really why I watch these things. :rommie:

See you folks later!

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They were up for a few techinical awards but nothing major. Truthfully as a Heroes fan they really didn't deserve anything for season 2. That can of course change next season if it's great again. I'm kind of happy when the Emmys shut out shows that obviously are subpar like 24 season 6.

14. benny

I dunno...like Anti...er, AstroSmurf says, the Emmy's and Oscar's are always good for a couple hours of bitchy comments. A guy's gotta get his kicks somehow when he's single for two weeks...

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hugh Laurie better damn well win Best Actor this year.

If he doesn't.

Someone's going to be PISSED.

If James Spader wins, I'm going to scream and hurl things at my TV.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  16. benny

Don't worry...Hugh Laurie's not going to win.

Best Actor-Drama is going to Jon Hamm from Mad Men. :D

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll hurl things for that, too, but in a pro-Dexter manner, so the things will most likely be very sharp. :evil:

18. benny

Well, at least they got rid of that inane round theater from last year...

19. AstroSmurf

They should have gotten rid of the writers. So far we are blaaaaaaaaahhhhhh...

But Tina and Amy pulled it out!

20. benny

Of course they pulled it off! It was freaking Tina Fey!

Maybe I need to get my hands on some Entourage...