[Question] Why do people hate VOY so much?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AlanAlias, May 27, 2015.

1. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nobody has suggested that all a show needs is a bunch of characters squabbling over stuff for seven years. Nobody has said that, at all.

2. Janeway7trulv

Janeway7trulv Commander Red Shirt

My "Inane" fantasy with Janeway and 7 sleeping together(as you put it) is merely a positive thing (in my opinion ;))and one which has not been dreamed out of not where. They had a chemistry. This post is merely something that a 5 year old would bait in order to recieve a reaction. Why isnt the issue as to why Generation or DS9 hated? Makes me wonder if their is a real reason beyond that - apart for the childish rooze thats all . I sincerely hope it isnt the Captains gender why you feel the need to ask this schoolkid unfounded question:wtf:

3. unimatrix7

Actually, in this thread we're having a reasonable, respectful discussion. I didn't ask the question (as you implied), nor did I chime in to say that I hate Voyager. In fact, nobody has - the general theme is disappointment, not hatred.

The only person I've seen bring this thread to the level of 'bait from a 5 year old' is yourself, accusing me of being biased against the show because of the female captain. I am a huge fan of strong women in media, and having Kate Mulgrew in the lead role is one of Voyager's key strengths. I count Scandal, Parks & Recreation, and The Good Wife amongst my favourite shows - in no small part because of the strong female leads.

I'll say it again, because you apparently couldn't be bothered reading my previous posts: I actually like Voyager; I just feel that it is deeply, deeply flawed and can't feel anything more than disappointment with what it was. It should've been so much more. You disagree with me, and that's fine. "I dread the day when everyone on this ship agrees with me." :)

4. Janeway7trulv

Janeway7trulv Commander Red Shirt

The Childish comment was also pertaining to your weak point of trying to focus on the J/7 aspect in order to deflect the real issue. Voyager - for me was great on several levels and some aspects of the show was original to Shatners series .;)

Your topic entitled " Why do People hate Voy so much?". You mentioned " People hate Voy". May i ask where have your based this - so called general census from? Just curious:)

I have read about peoples disappointments in reference to DS9. I have never seen the show - myself . Although i may check it out just for the Kira story ;). You know the lesbo scene - The one that i have an " inane " thing about ? :lol:

5. unimatrix7

It's not my topic. And I've already said (twice now, I think) that I don't 'hate' Voyager. Disappointment is not hate.

Take a poll in the General Trek Discussion form, though. Ask which Star Trek series our fellow users rate as the worst.

Actually, you don't have to. Its been done before (many times). A very quick search showed this thread from 2014, but in the many years I've been around these parts I've seen dozens. The results are always the same - Voyager battles Enterprise for the wooden spoon.

None of this matters though. If you like it, fantastic.

6. Orange Crusher

Orange Crusher Ensign Red Shirt

Simply put, Voyager is the "stunt cock" of the franchise.

The Next Generation cast and brand had moved on to film and was no longer available for use on TV. But that wouldn't stop the producers...

Rick Berman: "Let's do more seasons of Next Gen, but recast and call it something else! Those gullible trekkie lemmings won't even notice! Mwahahahaha!"

DS9 was a depressing soap opera, but at least it was daring to be different, and in more ways than one!

Voyager is to Trek what Coy and Vance Duke are to Dukes of Hazzard.

It is what The DeFranco Family are to The Osmonds.

It's Crystal Pepsi.

It's The "Real" Ghostbusters.

It's CSI: Miami.

It's CSI: NY.

It's CSI: Cyber.

Sometimes copies are better than the originals. They strike gold in the casting and writing departments. Voyager is not one of those shows.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't hate Voyager, for the most part I'm disappointed in it. The premise was interesting and in the beginning the characters were full of potential, the show itself could really explore space the human condition, seeing just how strongly our heroes hold onto their convictions and ideals with no support, and having to bring the law-abiding Starfleeters and terrorist Maquis together in order to survive. It had so much going for it, but just kept missing its mark.

There was never any sense of isolation, danger, peril, or struggle. They got out of tough spots by resorting to violence most of the time, without even attempting to build a support base or spread the ideals of the Federation among the races they encountered.

I watch the likes of BSG and SGU and think: that's more of what Voyager should've been. Push people to the edge, show them as flawed, show the bleakness of what they face to get home, so that the bright spark of optimism that is at the core of Trek can shine through all the brighter, so that we can see the hard work that goes in to making humankind better and stronger for the conflict and trials that we need to face.

But that's just me.

8. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Voyager is my favorite Star Trek of all,my father introduced me to the franchise,he was a huge TOS fan. i was 7 watching random episodes of DS9-TNG-VOY, the 3 felt much better than TOS for me. it was when i watched some more episodes of VOY like Year of Hell,Scorpion,Dark Frontier that i knew it was my favorite series.

The Show had better CGI than others,The plot was original,The Captain was bad-ass,Seven of Nine was a perfectly written and developed character,each character had such a different background it made interactions interesting.

TNG had hours of talking about something silly...it is the most boring show of them all.
    DS9 first 3seasons are like TNG only worst,the Dominion war was great tho( another - is the fire explosions in space)

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

VOY has so much TNG in it, I love that about this particular series! Because it was always like the other side of the same saga, to me - the further adventures of, in that sense. Sort of like a TNG bonus feature, almost ...

jpch likes this.
  10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I like all the Trek shows and I don't think any of them are perfect. I knew what Voyager was exactly going to be after watching Caretaker and Parallax, kind of an anthology adventure show but with the same cast, getting in and out of shenanigans each week and that was fine. I think the producers and writers could have done better but also am aware they were hamstrung by the show being the flagship show for UPN and having way more scrutiny than DS9 did. Reading some of the behind the scenes stuff on Memory Alpha it sounds like the writers and producers at different times had wanted to try semi-serialisation but continually got smacked down by UPN. I'm impressed with the amount of continuity in the first three years and how big of a deal the Michael Jonas storyline was to Trek as a whole, as nothing like that had been done before. Maybe the Maquis storyline should have been more than it was but as a kid I didn't really expect to have it be a big part of the show beyond giving the characters some rougher edgers. I did wish that they'd kept the Borg modifications from Scorpion though. I even think Threshold is a good episode and one I've happily watch over and over, so there's that. I like a lot of Voyager and I think episodes like Death Wish, Living Witness, Timeless, Latent Image can stand with the best of Trek.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  11. Jonny

Jonny Commander Red Shirt

Personally speaking, I don't hate Voyager. For the most part I enjoyed it. There were episodes that I didn't enjoy obviously, but then again it did get seven seasons which lasted 20+ episodes per season on average so that was bound to happen. Having said that though, as for why some people hate it? Different tastes is all I can say.

12. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    yes, i agree 100% i don't think it is possible for someone to like every episode in series with so many episodes lol,not to mention everyone has different taste, some like the super boring nerdiness of TNG others prefer the cool battles of DS9,i personally like VOY because it mixes them well.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Jonny likes this.
  13. Jonny

Jonny Commander Red Shirt

My order of Trek series is

TNG - Grew up with it and it was the first I saw so I'm sure nostalgia has a big part to play in terms of it being my personal favourite. - I'd say 8.5 out of 10
    DS9 - Just...Loved it LOL. Particularly Garak and Quark. Felt it got better when Worf came into it as well though felt the last season was a bit disappointing personally. - 8 out of 10 for me
    Voyager - Doctor, Torres and Seven made the series for me, though of course there were other things I liked about it. - 7.5 out of 10 for me.
    Original - I do enjoy it, just find it hard sometimes to get past the 60s style of it. Guess you could say it's a ''generational'' thing or whatever LOL. - 6 out of 10
    Enterprise - Couldn't get into it that much personally. - 5 out of 10

Having given the marks though I just want to clarify that I don't ''Hate'' Enterprise, it's just me comparing it to the others.

14. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Voyager BUT this doesn't avoid me to be realistic, in saying that the series would have been better if consistency in stories/attitude of characters and equilibrium in roles had been appropriate during its run of 7 seasons.
    I mean, the general idea was good (a Starfleet female capitain who have to manage a difficult situation when her vessel is found in an unknown quadrant by accident, with a hardly 1/3 of her crew which is composed of members of Maquis, an organization which is considered as a criminal squad by the Federation). But right the beginning, UPN and producers choosed to sweeten the tensions between both crews to avoid conflicts which would have seemed natural ; to keep some characters and their performers who were useless throughout the seasons at all costs, to confine them in the background. -> it is sometimes necessary to get rid of characters considered like superfluous: they knew how to make it with Jennifer Lien - even if I deeply regret this decision! - so, why not have continued with Wang/Harry or even Chakotay/Beltran (besides, I believe that he waited only for it) ; to let several writers work on a same character (we make say/do everything and the opposite from an episode to the other one to a character like Janeway) ; to let some weak scripts like Threshold or Muse becoming full episodes -> there were few excellent episodes if we make the counting ; to favor certain characters (Seven/The Doctor -> Janeway is the capitain, a central character around whom turn all other characters so, it seems normal to me to see her very often) to the detriment of an ensemble which is one of the keys of all ST series, etc....

I don't know if all these can explain the reason why in the end, actors and fans (at least a large number) eventually grew tired.
    Maybe that the 7th season was the season of excess - > it was frankly boring and the end was simply botched!

somebuddyX likes this.
  15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, the premise forbade them from building a support base or spreading influence.

Canceled?

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My attitude toward Voyager when it was on was 'Eh, at least it's better than most of the crap on TV'. Not impressed with it, not against it either.

It was a frustrating show because it was very similar to its predecessors without the same standards and you could see lots of chances for it to be better if they were just a little more ambitious.

17. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

It's my least favourite but I still like it. It was too trapped by the TNG model as per executive edict. It was basically a bit more exhausting 5 year mission rather than the perilous fight for life it should've been.

18. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

My reasons for hating it, first of all is as the series progressed it turned into the Janeway, Seven and Doctor show, not of those characters interested me in the slightest. Janeway was a poor captain in my opinion she made some dubious decision in my mind, seven was mostly there to look nice in a catsuit, oh and a Deus Ex Machina when everything could magically be fixed with nano-machines and as for the Doctor something not human trying to be human was several times before on trek, plus it had been done much better too.

The other thing that annoyed me was the seemingly lack of resources, the ship was still in pristine condition after several years without access to a star base, there was a superficial resource issue in replicator rations but I suspect that was more to do with getting nelix to be chef for the crew.

I cannot say I enjoyed Voyager really and it's not one I would be re-watching any time soon.

19. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I can understand it when a show focuses on characters you do not like. I could NOT STAND Baltar in BSG and it pained me whenever friends went on and on about how great he was. I am still angry that he got a good ending in the finale when the Adama family and Starbuck did not. :mad:

20. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And God knows how it was told - and even repeated - to us that the Neelix's cooking was uneatable. Why Seven, who seems to become a fine chef in season 7,didn't teach him how to cook in S7?! :whistle:

Tracy Trek likes this.