Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yay, 3-D blood, guts and boobies!

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

David Ash?

6. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watch them stumble over themselves to cut it if it gets a NC-17.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that last trailer left me speechless. I think I might be willing to see this by myself if it comes to that, and I absolutely hate seeing movies by myself.
    And after that trailer I would be shocked if this doesn't get an R, because that looks incredibly intense.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I like that style of storytelling, I just hate the alien "designer look" that so many movies tried to copy, even decades later. I'm happy he didn't copy himself in that way.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Everything new thing I see about this movie makes me want to see it more. This is the sci-fi movie I've been waiting on for years--then again Alien is one of my top 5 favorite movies. The look and the feel just seems right; this is a "universe" I want to know more about. Means no matter how great it is, it'll be disappointing :lol:

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that made it pretty damn clear that there's an alien-style threat in this movie, even if it's not the xenomorph itself.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe not a xenomorph as we know them, but I'm getting the feeling that we will be seeing the first incarnation of the facehuggers.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a sidequel of sorts to Alien? I know we get to see more of the space-jockey race (and I get a strong Larry Niven vibe from those guys) and they're looking like the bag guys in this one--so far. And it looks a variant form of the Xenomorph eggs and embryos. Maybe the Jockeys bio-engineered the 'morphs?

14. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trailer looks awesome, but it should be noted the FOX executive's comments are very disingenuous. Yes, it's true they won't cut any material to obtain a PG-13 rating. However, Scott originally requested a $250 million budget and an R-rating before filming. FOX said they couldn't give him that much money unless he made it more family-friendly, therefore he filmed Prometheus with two cuts in mind. Anybody who can read between the lines will deduce that Ridley Scott probably filmed the movie to meet PG-13 specifications rather than an R that would possibly be cut.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And if it does end up PG-13 in the theaters, I wouldn't be at all shocked if they did an R rated director's cut DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

16. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We'll see. They're claiming we won't see any "director's cut" with any additional adult content. I believe a PG-13 to be a near-certainty at this point though ... based on the most recent interview. It seems like the fan backlash is forcing the studio to run damage control, but there can be no illusion about the MPAA system. If the CEO has seen the cut, he knows what rating the movie will receive. If this picture were going to receive an R-rating it would be very evident from minute one due to the strict rules governing how many curse words can be in the film, how much gore, sex, nudity, etc.

17. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

As I remember it, he wanted the 250 Mio budget for two prequel films (they were planning to shoot them back to back) and that number has been repeated ever since. I don't think an estimate for the new budget has been published.
    Having said that I agree with you that Scott probably tried to shoot for PG-13 (and with some luck prepared an extended cut for DVD/Blu-Ray).

18. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who cares what the rating is. It's just some letters and numbers. Based on the audio clip that Fox released recently (http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/185) I don't think there is much reason to worry about how intense this film is.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell, if it's even as creepy and intense as the trailer, that'll be more than enough for me.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does that mean we won't getting the Charlize Theron's topless pushups? Or at least won't be able to see anything interesting during them.