THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

[LEFT]You heard it here first:

[/LEFT]
    ----THO2----
    Hammer Time

A Brett Ratner Film
    [LEFT]
    :devil:
    [/LEFT]

Yeah, but your legendary obsession with Christopher Nolan and his Batman films automatically puts you out of the running. :p

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew that was going to hinder my career at some point.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I got a kick out of that. Stuffing mines, and Natalie Portman's wormhole.

"And this other planet over here that no one cares about." :guffaw:

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Dang, I was kind of looking forward to her directing. Just because it was such a left field type choice.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Marcus Nispel ftw!

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Does Branagh not want to do it?

Personally, I thought he did a wonderful job. And he was a "left field" choice in his own right.

8. captcalhoun

he wanted to have a break and do something else, where as Marvel wanted him to go straight on to Thor 2.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Natalie Portman is reportedly upset with Patty Jenkins departure from the film. Looks like Marvel Studios has managed to upset another high profile actor if this is accurate. I understand the level of control Marvel exerts but eventually they're going to have to start backing off if they want to continue to draw high level talent to their projects. The article also lists reasons for Jenkins leaving.

http://collider.com/natalie-portman-patty-jenkins-thor-2/132451/

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope the depths of Portman's worries are not enough to have her bow out of the film. I really liked her as Jane.

If it's not just lip service by Perkins that she "looks forward to working with Marvel again". Perhaps a solo Black Widow film would be a suitable pairing?

11. Captaindemotion

^ She's contractually bound to it. If she bows out, she gets her delectable little ass sued off her.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's a little harsh in my opinion...she is entitled to express whatever opinions she has as long as she full fills the terms of her contract. Also I'm assuming Marvel Studios could release her from her contract and find someone else if they so desire. I'm assuming Nat was just expressing her opinion.

A new director has been found.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85465

Personally I'm a little concerned about "Thor 2". Kind of wish Kenneth remained, and surprised Marvel Studios didn't go for more high profile ones since they like to try and attract top talent. This just reaffirms my belief that they need to start treading carefully with their control over their products. Just because things are going well right now and leading into "Avengers" doesn't mean they shouldn't keep the eye on the ball afterwards as well. They could very well start driving away the very talent they want to attract.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm shocked to see them going from people like Kenneth Brannagh, Jon Fravreau, and Joss Whedon, to a guy who's directed Game of Thrones, Mad Men, and The Sopranos. Those are some very high profile shows, but it's still quite a step down from the the other directors they've gotten.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Jon Favreau wasn't considered a top talent in any sense when they chose him to direct Iron Man; he'd directed three movies, only one of which (Elf) had been any kind of success (though it was a big one), and that was in a completely unrelated genre. And, frankly, his one film post-Iron Man didn't set the world on fire. Branagh certainly has never worked on this scale before; neither has Whedon, despite being a big name in SF/F circles.

I don't know much about Taylor, but they picked a promising TV director with experience in the sort of medieval fantasy genre that Thor has a lot to do with (based solely on his resume, he's more suited for the film than Jenkins; but obviously, as Favreau and Branagh indicate, that doesn't necessarily mean anything). There's plenty of talent in Hollywood waiting for a crack at directing a major picture.

15. Captaindemotion

:confused: What was harsh? I said that if she dropped out of the movie which she's contractually bound to do, she'd be sued. That's the law of contract for you for you. I didn't say anything about her right of expression. Marvel could indeed release her from the contract; equally, they could decide not to and to sue her for breach of contract. And they'd be legally entitled to do so.

I wish Branagh had stayed on too. However, I get the impression he wanted to do a blockbuster and thus did Thor. Having done it, he clearly felt been there done that and didn't want to return. I don't think it was an Ed Norton-type situation.

Taylor isn't a household name; I hadn't heard of him but I had heard of some of the movies and tv shows he's made. Palookaville is a very under-rated little movie and the likes of Oz, Boardwalk and Game of Thrones speak for themselves, quality-wise. So I'm happy enough to give him a chance.

16. captcalhoun

actually, KB said he's not doing 2 because he didn't want to rush straight into it after doing 1, which was what Marvel's scheduling demanded.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I guess I was overestimating Favreau and Brannagh's popularity prior to their work for Marvel.
    Oh, I have no problem with Taylor, in fact I am now even more certain that the movie will be at least as good as the first one than I was when Jenkins was involved. Not to say I doubted Jenkins abilities, I'm just more confident in Taylor's based on his resume. Jenkins is pretty much an unknown to me, while I have seen at least some fairly lengthy clips, if not dozens of episodes, from alot of the stuff that Taylor has been involved with.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Once The Avengers is out they will begin filming on Thor 2 this summer reveals Tom Hiddleston.