Terminator-212 "Alpine Fields" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Dec 8, 2008.

?

Grade "Alpine Fields"

1. "I'll be back." (Excellent)

25.0%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

54.2%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

16.7%
  4. "Hasta la vista, baby." (Below Average)

2.1%
  5. "You are TERMINATED." (Failure)

2.1%
  1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That only happened in the Stirling T2 novels. None of the canon Terminator stuff has actually gone into detail about what military assets survived in any usable form. Even this show hasn't; the mention of the Carter and the glimpse of the carrier in "Allison from Palmdale" are just background things that don't tell us much about the overall disposition of either sides' assets.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The novelization of Terminator 2 features a line that mentions Nuclear Subs were updated with Cybernetic Brains. The novel T2: Future War has several chapters dealing with the Roosevelt trying to evade Skynet destruction from submartines that have been taken over by Skynet.

Fog of war.

Depends on what you look at. In most media the southern hemisphere wasn't as devastated as the North.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The novel of T2 mentions it with the line about Stealth Bombers being upgraded with Cyberdyne processors.

4. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

It could be the chip damage, the topic of which was touched upon again last week. She also got banged up pretty well hunting the T-888 in the woods. Roger did groan a bit after being knocked down, so I don't think he was dead. Plus, dialogue implies that the T-888 kills him later on.

Did anyone else notice the "should be apples" comment from Jessie, which was the same language used by Riley when she was introduced? Given their scene together a few episodes ago and the preview for next week, there are some definite homoerotic overtones to their relationship.

Ultimately, I voted "above average." Good taut action and a well-written character story, but I was left wanting a bit more closure at the end. I also wanted to see more Cameron, but well, can't have everything. ;)

Next week looks like a bringing together of a lot of loose plot threads, which would be great. The Ellison / John Henry interaction looks fascinating (and rather like Dr. Chandra / HAL from 2010).

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could you tell me where subs are mentioned in the T2 novelization? I happen to have a copy, so I'd like to confirm your statements. I forgot about the stealth bombers being used by Skynet, but I wouldn't take that as evidence subs were refitted to be Skynet controlled. And we can't use any of the novel series events to conjecturalize about what happened in the SSC timeline since there has been so much divergence.

Anyway, the day the Navy lets a USAF AI control its ships will be when hell freezes over.

In this timeline, I think even the southern hemisphere got hit, since Derek is surprised that the Aussies are growing food again. Then again, it could've been the effects of fallout or a post J-day hit that was responsible. Since in this timeline, J Day happens in 2011, I think Skynet would know enough to neutralize China as well as the US and Russia; it might go as far as attacking the other nuclear powers as well in order to prevent them from attacking while it built up its infrastructure.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Cameron was knocked out too easily in this episode, they aren't very consistent. In previous episodes she can take out Terminators easily, in this one she ends up taking a lot of damage to the point of being knocked out?

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Too easily? She was in a hand-to-hand fight. It was daylight when it started, and night by the time it was over. That means she was keeping him at bay for at least an hour.

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Why did she have such a hard time taking down this Terminator when she's made easy of them in the past?

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I missed the last couple of minutes and I'll have to watch the whole thing again tomorrow.

10. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I missed the whole ep because i had a date. Since that doesn't happen very often i thought i'd share. :p
    Look forward to catching up on it tomorrow night.

11. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I thought it was interesting to see Skynet coming after another mother of an important future figure, that was nice and consistent. Although I got some kind of weird vibe from the sister with the short hair...perhaps they are going to use her again because they sure seemed to develop her a bit.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Watch it on Fox.Com PLEASE :) And vote for the show for a People's Choice Award for best Sci-FI :D

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Specifically mentioning which one will be a problem. I have both copies and I'm not 100% sure which one I read it in. There is one by Randall Frakes that came out around the time of the movie itself. A new version was released in the late 90s by I think a man named Campbell or maybe it is Jefferies. It's been a while since I read them. They're packed away though because of our renovations. I'll have to look for them. I also have the comics and the illustrated screenplay - autographed by Cameron.

If it's ordered by the Pentagon I don't think they'd have much of a choice.

Likely possibility. There are only a couple of continuities in which I know of the southern hemisphere being left alone. Then again some storylines exist where there were two JDs.

14. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overall I thought this was a pretty good episode. Not as brilliant as last week, but still enjoyable. Doing flashbacks and flashforwards with the story interweaving was pretty nice. Seeing how Jesse and Derek first met was also neat.
    Well that part of the episode did take place 6 months in the past, perhaps she hasn't developed more advanced Terminator fighting techniques that she currently uses? I would imagine that every time she fights another Terminator, especially ones of a different model, she is better able to analyze her fights and is better able to predict how a Terminator will react to a given situation, and is able to figure out better ways of fighting them.

15. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

average
    decent filler ep. nothing else i can really say about this one.

16. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The story unfolded on three different timelines, I loved that.

17. Paul

Paul Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure why Skynet doesn't just kill Sydney in the future, considering she's holed up in Eagle Rock all by herself.

I like the change of pace in the narrative of the series, though. The intertwining plotlines reminds me a bit of Mr. Ferguson Is Ill Today.

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe Skynet doesn't know she's the source of the cure or that there were even survivors.

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Then why try to kill her in the past before she is born?

I think there's a little bit too much time travel in this show to try and give any kind of logical explanation. It's like they expend unrealistic amounts of resources to take care of the simplest of tasks, and only to serve a story...

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of these types of novelizations. I hate the retconning of a lying character just so that sequels can be rationalized, especially when it makes little sense. I preferred the idea of a single terminator (or at the very least, a few) being sent as a last ditch effort on an important mission, rather than this time travel at the drop of a hat for silly reasons.

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I meant at the time that the virus was deployed. The Bio attack was believed to be able to kill all the humans at that base and that it would spread according to dialogue. Skynet probably assumed that there would be no survivors to contend with at all.

I prefer the Dawn of Fate ending myself because it means no one was lying. Skynet was destroyed during the Cheyenne Mountain invasion in it; however, the secondary backups were not and Skynet restored itself 24 hours after the Primary Core was destroyed. That was why in The Terminator the Primary Core was at SAC-NORAD (Cheyenne Mountain) and in T2 it was in downtown LA.