The Male Skirts from Season 1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by EnriqueH, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Who looked good in TNG skirt uniforms?

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I had to look up pencil skirt, as I am fashion deficient, but I think only the dress version seen in Court Martial would qualify as one. The duty version worn by Uhura and others are more like skorts. (Which I had to ask my wife the name for)

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Those were nothing like culottes.

Tunics. Those are what men have worn for a very long time... at least until the Renaissance. Even the Plantagenet males wore tunics, albeit with hose underneath instead of bare legs. A man's social class could be inferred in part by the length of his tunic. Generally, the longer it was, the higher his socioeconomic class.

There are men in the SCA who wear kilts. Some men just prefer to wear them. It's not a big deal, except to people who snigger and point because they think "that man's wearing a dress!".

Ah, but he wasn't actually crew at the time. ;)

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Born in Illinois, raised in Missouri. Didn't come out west until I was 39.
    No, but if they're common enough for Starfleet, there should be civilian versions.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm also on the west coast. There is a utilikilt store near my workplace, and I have occasionally seen guys wearing them in real life. One was giving out free hugs.

There was also a brief trend for a few business like movers and cleaners to outfit all of the men in kilts. I don't think that lasted very long, though.

Kor

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Somebody should ask Wil Wheaton about that, next time they attend a convention Q&A where he's a guest (I assume he does convention appearances?).

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I wouldn't want to wear them. I won't even wear shorts in public, because I went all knobby kneed immediately when hitting puberty. I was photogenic until that happened, then I turned into Quasimodo.

8. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No one.

9. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the single best argument for why the skants were a bit idea.

And they didn't even look good, just look at Troi in the pilot she looks like a grown woman dressed up as a little girl.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marina Siritis rocked the skant uniform, I have to say. But on Men, it really did look stupid. Whilst I love TNG, I did not love the uniforms. They were just too cheap-looking, too black and the angled blocks of colour seemed imperfect somehow. Like the uniforms were made by a computer that needed adjustment. I would've much prefered the mixed-bag approach STAR TREK: The Motion Picture took towards STARFLEET uniforms. But the original uniforms, without the collar did look better of the two TNG used; I don't know why they changed that.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Except Yar and Troi, they both looked fantastic.

:)

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Er... When did Yar wear a skant uniform?

13. Enterprise Capt

Enterprise Capt Ensign Newbie

Last shot of "Encounter at Farpoint."

[​IMG]

14. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I really thought that Troi looked terrible in everything but the regular uniform. I don't thing that her wearing a civilian-looking uni would be out of place for a medical professional whose job is to put people at ease, but she looked very undignified in some episodes. That super-tight garment was exploiting her.

15. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me its the combination of the skant uniform and the glittery, golden Alice band Troi wears in the pilot. She looks like she raided the wardrobe of Barbie's teenage sister and totally wants to go to the mall.
    The skants even look sorta unfinished, like they were just arbitarily cut off at a (far to high) hemline, which brings me to the problem, they don't have a hem at the skirt, which is why they look unfinished.

16. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Fashion is such a subjective thing. People get upset about this and yet walk outside today and you'll see an alarming amount of tats and piercings on anyone under 40. I don't know what would be worse, seeing a guy at starbucks serve me in a kilt or a guy with two full sleeves of tats, a lip ring, and big honking earrings.

17. Kor

^ One time at a Burger King in my area, the cashier had a bunch of Nazi tattoos all over his arms. I was surprised that corporate policy didn't make him wear long sleeves.

Kor

18. Enterprise Capt

Enterprise Capt Ensign Newbie

I'm just curious why tats and piercings alarm you and how someone with them or someone wearing a kilt would effect your service at Starbucks?

19. Kor

^ Because society is used to those things being common among the criminal element, so a large amount implies violent/sadistic/sociopathic tendencies (whether or not there is an actual correlation).

And I must say that I was definitely.... concerned at being served at Burger King by a guy with Nazi tattoos all over his arms. :wtf:

Kor

20. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recall a story....I believe the episode was "Assignment: Earth", and the actress was Teri Garr..... Roddenberry kept pushing, pushing to have her skirt shortened, and shorter still. :rolleyes: